One sleep cycle

[di...]

Hi, is anyone waking up every night after one sleep cycle and unable to go back to sleep? It's horrible and is causing me a lot of extra anxiety to be sat here suffering through withdrawals while everyone's asleep. I do try to have a nap(toxic) during the day, but again, I wake up after one sleep cycle.

Thank you

Diana.

A sleep cycle is typically 90 minutes in length (some longer or shorter) where people "cycle" through light, Deep, and REM sleep and even wake up.

Yes! I didn’t know this term. But I used to wake up every 90 min — then go to bathroom,  sip of water, cold blanket — and try again. Now I’m up to every 2-3 hours I think.

Hi ThEwAy2

Did you used to feel sicker after sleeping? I wake up feeling drunk , disorientated and my head pressure and fuzzing buzzing brain is much worse.

I hate the feeling of being up when the rest of the world seems to be sleeping. My recent symptoms including inner vibration and skin burning make everything harder. I already have been dealing with tinnitus. The suffering to rest indescribable. I don't know how we survive this.

• 1 month later...

I've seen you mention sleep cycles before, I'm not familiar with that term.

The Brain needs to get into the stages 3 and 4 with REM (where you dream) to keep the body and mind an everything healthy.

When You only are getting sleep in the first two stages only its not restorative-

Sleep is majorly important and I think we all suffer with the sleeping deficits in here.

Yes! I didn’t know this term. But I used to wake up every 90 min — then go to bathroom,  sip of water, cold blanket — and try again. Now I’m up to every 2-3 hours I think.

If you are ever dreaming you are in the state of REM or deep 3 and 4-

REM Sleep is not deep sleep, it is somewhere between light sleep and being awake. 

In general, each cycle moves sequentially through each of the 4 stages of sleep: wake, light sleep, deep sleep, REM, and repeat.  Cycles earlier in the night tend to have more deep sleep while later cycles have a higher proportion of REM. By the final cycle, your body may even choose to skip deep sleep altogether.

Overall, your body spends the majority of the night in light sleep. How much time you spend in REM or deep sleep can vary widely by individual, but most people (not including those in Benzo-induced insomnia) spend 2-5% awake, 45-55% in light sleep, 13-23% in Deep Sleep and 20-25% in REM sleep.

However, after longer periods of sleep deprivation, REM Rebound, or starting to dream almost immediately after falling asleep is common.

Deep sleep restores the body physiologically and REM sleep restores the body psychologically!