Colonoscopy this week… scared as bad as I am…

[ho...]

Hello, I am 4.5 years out still getting through a setback in withdrawal and had a pelvic MRI a few weeks ago for rectal pain which came back clear on that but an area of undetermined significance in my sigmoid colon, which could simply be a diverticula but now the surgeon and the G.I. doctor are pushing for a colonoscopy.

I still am severely sensitive to everything including sugar, and have no idea how I’m going to do this or handle the propofol. Any recommendations on what you mix with a MiraLAX that’s not Gatorade or a sugar-based drink that could rev me out even more because I cannot handle drinks like that. Also any positive stories in handling propofol for a colonoscopy as well as Miralax  when you are severely sensitive to everything? Also were you ok with Miralax/Dulcolax ?

I’m trying to not be scared by already being in a setback makes me even more nervous, so I need all the positive vibes and good advice please and thank you. My doctor was booked for a couple months and had a cancellation this week and I just want to get it over with.

I’m absolutely terrified.

Relax, hopeful! No to dismiss your concerns, but you sound like me when I had to have a colonoscopy DURING my taper. If you're sensitive to sugar, talk to your surgeon/gi doc. It's possible to drink a sugar-free prep. I drank a VERY large bottle of mag citrate at my doc's instruction.  As for anesthetic, propofol was a way better choice for me than versed. I had no s/x and woke up a lot faster than after procedures on versed. Colonoscopies make sense -- your doc can actually see what's happening in there -- and they take like 20 minutes. It's the prep and the restricted diet and the pooping that are distasteful. So talk to your doc. I am sure he/she will have some suggestions. I've had 3 colonoscopies and used a different prep each time.

Best to you.

:smitten:

Katz

Rrlax, hopeful! No to dismiss your concerns, but you sound like me when I had to have a colonoscopy DURING my taper. If you're sensitive to sugar, talk to your surgeon/gi doc. It's possible to drink a sugar-free prep. I drank a VERY large bottle of mag citrate at my doc's instruction.  As for anesthetic, propofol was a way better choice for me than versed. I had no s/x and woke up a lot faster than after procedures on versed. Colonoscopies make sense -- your doc can actually see what's happening in there -- and they take like 20 minutes. It's the prep and the restricted diet and the pooping that are distasteful. So talk to your doc. I am sure he/she will have some suggestions. I've had 3 colonoscopies and used a different prep each time.

Bet to you.

Thank you so much! It’s just hard because of all my sensitivities, and even the sugar-free stuff has bad stuff in it that can make us worse and so many other props have magnesium which I already know I don’t do well with so they’re recommending MiraLAX and maybe using smart water and adding just a little coconut water or something to it. And that day it’s not like I can’t even have Popsicles or Jell-O, or anything like that because again it all contains sugar. So I’m not really sure what I’m gonna do Prep day that’s the no food day.

I’m not even sure of what other preps are available besides MiraLAX and apparently this office does not use the moviprep I’ve heard about anymore either.

Thank you so much for your well wishes. I guess I’m just terrified already being as horrible as I am at the pro football is going to meet me 10 times worse than being put to sleep a scary enough.

:smitten:

Katz

MiraLAX has no taste, and can be mixed in plain water. I always took it with plain water. Just stir it up in plain water and drink away.

Bump… anyone else with positive stories on miralax and propofol who also may have been in a setback or not good when they had their procedure?. And this setback is bad yet I had an mri for rectal pain and it saw an area of undertermined significance in the colon so the Gi dr wants to be safe… and I don’t want to wait but I’m very sick. Almost hoping the propofol will calm me down, but I don’t want to die from it all! Scared!

Just need a peace of mind.

hopeful, yeah, propofol will "calm you down". But it will be temporary. You'll be out like a light. It produced NO s/x in me. I doubt it will produce any in you either. It seems to me you will get that longed-for peace of  mind when you complete the colonoscopy and get the results. Chances are, it's nothing. If it turns out to be diverticulitis, well, then it can be treated. Rectal pain? Could be from any number of things. Hemorrhoids come to my mind . . . but your doc will be able to tell you more after the colonoscopy. I know you're sick . . . we were all sick on our tapers, but you can't neglect your health. I had a coloscopy during my taper. I was not well at the time. (I think I've already told you this). Propofol did not make me worse.

Best wishes,

Katz

I guess going with no general anaesthesia is a no go for you? In my country it’s often done without it, especially in public hospitals. But I think they still use some form of sedation.

I guess going with no general anaesthesia is a no go for you? In my country it’s often done without it, especially in public hospitals. But I think they still use some form of sedation.

I had 2 sigmoidoscopies (one before my setback while in this and one prior) both awake and it was a living hell. Being in a setback and already insanely revved, I can’t imagine how much worse I would be and it was soooooo painful so I can’t imagine a whole colonoscopy when I barely got through a sigmoid. So I am just praying this is the right decision! I prayed to my family up in heaven to protect me Thursday morning and if it is not meant to be down to throw a wrench into the process ahead of time.

Who knows… maybe I’ll tolerate it fine and have another fear wiped off the list!

So I am just praying this is the right decision!

Letting them use propofol? To avoid being awake for a colonoscopy and in "living hell"? Of course it's the right decision, hopeful. Can you try not to obsess about this? You'll be out, it'll be over, and then your doc will have the info he/she needs. And I really doubt you'll have s/x. It's biphasic: its initial half life is about 40 minutes and terminal half life is about 4 hours. I "woke up" pretty much right away after the procedure and felt zero s/x. And I was in the middle of my taper.

Hope this helps,

Katz

If it's any comfort and reassurance to you, another member had surgery using propofol, and said it actually knocked his withdrawal symptoms down for a few days after. So, if anything, you'll probably feel better after. Might help you move past your setback.

And listen to oregonkatz, she said she did fine, and you will too. Worrying won't get you anywhere, getting it done and out of the way will ease your mind.