Forced switch, no taper

[Un...]

My doctor wants to suddenly switch the Xanax I’ve been on for 10 years to Ativan. No taper, just rapid switch with the next script. He said it’s up to me if I want Ativan and not Xanax. He says it’s “all the same.” 

What is anyone’s take on this?

It's not all the same and Ativan also seems too short acting if interdose withdrawals are an issue. If I were you I would try to either stick with xanax or switch to klonopin or valium.

Since you've been on unprescribed Ativan, it would probably be a good idea to fully cross over to Ativan if your doctor is willing to keep refilling long enough to safely taper off of it.  Why did he suggest this, did you tell him about your Ativan use?

It's not all the same and Ativan also seems too short acting if interdose withdrawals are an issue. If I were you I would try to either stick with xanax or switch to klonopin or valium.

Xanax is even shorter than ativan. K is a better idea

Since you've been on unprescribed Ativan, it would probably be a good idea to fully cross over to Ativan if your doctor is willing to keep refilling long enough to safely taper off of it.  Why did he suggest this, did you tell him about your Ativan use?

Sorry pamster I didn’t see this. I asked him about prescribing me 2 mg Ativan and 2mg Xanax and he said it’s one or the other but not both.