Author Topic: Liquid Compound Taper  (Read 1289 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Liquid Compound Taper
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2023, 03:41:14 pm »
The bottle is 240 ml and I would prefer to just do the liquid. I am trying to slowly walk off the benzo if I can. At this point I am 3 days in taking .4ml/.4mg in the morning and .4ml/.4mg at night.

I understand to take 10% is daily dose but how does a micro taper work? Is it easier on the body?

We can take 10% of daily dose forever or it will take forever to get to 0.025.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2023, 03:51:04 pm »
[...],
How would you lay out a micro taper? I am at .8 mg. I have a 240 ml bottle and I have 10ml syringes with 0.2 ml tickets between each ml. I asked the pharmacist for a 1 ml syringe with 100 ticks but he did not have one. He said going down 1 ml every two weeks is a micro taper. I want to be able to slow it down and dose out even smaller once I get to 3 ml and 1 ml I think.

This forum is filled with so many horror stories and I want to try to avoid them as I have my own horror storey with the ativan withdrawal that I am still healing from. That’s why I was put in Clonazapam.

Thanks,
Trena
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2023, 05:07:09 pm »
Tapering is all about experimentation. Each of us has to discover what works for us as unique individuals through trial and error.

Here’s one way you could approach this.  I hope other members will share other approaches for your consideration.

Given your measuring device and the concentration of your liquid, you could try reducing your dose by 1 line/mark per day for 30 days.  You could alternate the reductions between your two daily doses (on Day 1, reduce your morning dose by 1 mark; on Day 2, hold your morning dose at the same level as Day 1 and reduce your evening dose by 1 mark, etc.).

I strongly encourage you to keep a daily taper log, including global ratings of your symptoms and functionality.  If you notice an uptick in symptoms or a decrease in functionality, hold your dose constant until they return to baseline.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 07:43:16 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2023, 05:57:41 pm »
If I do one tick mark a day for 30 days that will be well above the 10% decrease. Do people find micro tapers work better? I know everyone is different I am just so sick of feeling this intense sadness and fear. I want to be me again and get back to work.

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2023, 06:20:50 pm »
My apologies.  I based my initial calculations on a liquid with a different concentration than yours.  We have many members and it’s challenging to keep up with who is doing what.  It would be very helpful if you would add the concentration of your liquid as well as your taper history (dates, dosing schedule, amounts) to your signature so all members can see your current status at a glance (instead of having to read through multiple posts).

One line/mark on your current syringe = 0.2mL

0.2mL of a 0.1mg/mL liquid equals .02mg or 20 micrograms

That’s the smallest reduction you can make given your current measuring device (unless you feel comfortable eyeballing between the lines).

To decrease the taper rate, you could change your taper interval from daily to whatever works for you.

Or you could get a 1mL syringe with 100 lines/marks.

ADDENDUM:

Upon further reflection, here’s how you could reduce your dose by 10% over 28 days using a microtaper with a one-week reduction interval and your current measuring device:

Starting Dose: 8mL
Reduce to 7.8mL, hold for 7 days
Reduce to 7.6mL, hold for 7 days
Reduce to 7.4mL, hold for 7 days
Reduce to 7.2mL, hold for 7 days

At any point, if your symptoms began to increase or your functionality began to decrease, you would continue the hold until you returned to baseline.

Alternatively, if you decide you wish to make smaller reductions more frequently, you could ask your compounding pharmacist about ordering 3mL and 1mL syringes from Medisca at:

https://www.medisca.com/products/compounding-equipment/applicators-and-dispensers/syringes
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 01:31:26 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2023, 05:29:59 pm »
From the experience here do people find micro tapering more tolerable? Also to keep the drug stable in my blood would I alternate the drop between morning and night? And if I remember correctly the drop off point for Clonazapam is 0.025 correct? So if I got down to 0.02 I would be able to walk off ( hopefully). Also, when you refer to baseline do you mean my normal self? I have not been stable at my normal self for quite some time. I was inter dose withdrawing on the Ativan. Really I haven’t felt like myself since August.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 05:58:14 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2023, 07:25:35 pm »
Microtapering works for some individuals but not for others. The only way to know if it will work for you is to try it.

Would you feel comfortable eyeballing between the lines on your 10mL syringe so you could reduce both your morning and evening dose by approximately 0.1mL each? If not, then alternating 0.2mL reductions between your morning and evening dose makes sense.

In this community, baseline does not mean ‘return to your normal self.’  Instead, we define baseline (also referred to as ‘stability’ or ‘being stable’) as (1) withdrawal symptoms are not changing in number or nature and are tolerable and (2) able to perform essential daily tasks (needless to say, these vary by individual … for example, you’ve shared that you are the mother of two young children so your essential daily tasks are quite different from those of a older person who is retired and lives alone).

My understanding is that the 0.025mg quit dose for clonazepam you’ll read about here on the forum is a ‘guesstimate’ based on Heather Ashton’s suggested diazepam quit dose of 0.5mg.  As far as I know, there is no empirical evidence to substantiate this. 

What is your definition of ‘walk off’?  If it’s ‘return to my normal self,’ then there is no such guarantee.  Taking a benzodiazepine changes the structure and chemistry of the brain/nervous system.  After you have removed the drug, the brain/nervous system has to ‘undo’ these changes.  This takes time.

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2023, 09:08:27 pm »
Isn’t the point of a slow taper to allow you brain and cns to adjust to the decrease? It’s disheartening that we go through such agony to taper and then have bad withdrawal anyway. I’m not sure I can do it.

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2023, 09:41:34 pm »
The point of a slow, gradual taper is twofold: (1) to keep withdrawal symptoms tolerable and (2) maintain the requisite level of functionality while discontinuing the drug.  Although it is thought that some ‘repair work’ occurs during the tapering process, the collective experience of this community is that there is still work to be done after the drug has been eliminated from the body.  One of our members wrote a post about this a while back that you may find of interest:

Four Phases of Withdrawal
http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=156111.msg2089263#msg2089263

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2023, 11:14:14 pm »
What is the half life of Clonazapam? When should I feel the decrease in dose?