Anyone else get Extreme anxiety next day if you stay up all night?

[sp...]

Im currently trying to figure out (with help of a therapist) why when i stay up all night from insomnia (like not get one minute sleep) i get extremly high anxiety from it that lasts all day. Im talking bad where i can hardly sit down and basically walk all day and just feel horrible inside the whole time. You know, i would love once just to stay up all night from insomnia, but have no anxiety from it. Its fine, if you stay up all night you just feel like crap, big deal your not going to die. Nope not me, if i stay up all night its followed by a horrible day of really high anxiety that wont go away. Just curious if anyone else has this happen. It just makes falling alseep so much more of big deal, and we all know what happens when you start to panic that your not asleep....things just get worse.

Hi SFMA

I read one of your earlier posts where you just switched to all Valium and after 24hrs you were struggling. I think the reason for that is that your doctor wasn’t taking into consideration the time it takes for that extra 5mg of valium to build up your blood serum levels (being a long half life benzo), so you dumped a very short half life benzo, which left your system quickly, but the valium took 3 or 4 days to build up blood serum levels to cover for the Xanax. This is why a slower crossover is sensible. It should all be just common sense for a doctor, but generally that’s rarely the case. But you got through it, and that’s the main thing.

I’m sorry you’re experiencing such horrid anxiety and lack of sleep, which often only exacerbates the issue, as the more stressed and ‘in our heads’ we get after a constant lack of sleep, the less our systems seem to function properly and the more vulnerable we are to anxiety, and it becomes a cycle. Some of the anxiety may ease up for you as time goes on, as you may not be completely over the underlying fallout from the Xanax cessation, even after a month or so, especially after what really was little more than a direct switch to valium. I really hope it eases for you soon and you get some decent sleep.

I have this exact problem when I don't get sleep during benzo withdrawal, I get extremely high anxiety the next day and actually feel like I'm jacked up when it happens. My eyesight starts getting all weird, my muscles start Contracting and I start to get nerve pain from lack of sleep as well.

And like you said, it's hard to even sit still when you're lacking sleep for a couple days, because you start getting really antsy. It feels really similar to taking way too many uppers like drinking a dozen cups of coffee in a row, and then adding physical symptoms onto it as well.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah, same here. I tapered Bromazepam, jumped off the last dose 17 days ago and now suffering from severe insomnia, which is causing a great amount of anxiety during the day. My psychiatrist prescribed me 2.5mg Zyprexa/evening to deal with insomnia and anxiety, and it helps. Seems like I have no choice but to keep taking it until I feel ready for tapering.

I just hope, that the Benzo-releated withdrawal symptoms (which in my case is insomnia and resulting anxiety, just like yourself) will subside, so that we get the amount of sleep we need to cope.

Stay strong

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, getting proper sleep is probably the most important thing in benzo withdrawal. That along with organic food and limiting stress, seems to be the most helpful for me at least.

I only took Zyprexa one time and it was when I was in detox at the mental hospital. I was having severe hallucinations from the benzo withdrawal, and then they had given me some Benadryl and it made it even worse. So then I was sitting in the hospital bed staring at the wall and couldn't comprehend what the nurse was saying, so she came in with a shot of Zyprexa and it had me in a daze for hours, but I didn't like it.

Instead of using pills for sleep, I've been using marijuana every few days and it definitely helps with sleep. The only issue is that you wake up in a daze with anxiety from that too, but it doesn't last very long.

I went the first couple years without taking anything at all, but then I experimented with the marijuana to make sure I wasn't going to get any setbacks again, and I've been all right for the last few months off and on. I just really hope it's not delaying my healing, but on the other hand, it's making my experience more enjoyable instead of suffering 24/7. I guess there's good and bad with everything, there's no way to find out whether or not it's actually delaying my progress or not.

• 2 weeks later...
I was so relieved to see these posts because that is exactly what I'm going though for the past 6 months. I thought with my slow taper it would be less horrific. I started to have 3 nights in a row without sleep just recently and get so wired/anxious during the day- there's nothing that makes me sleepy. I feel, some nights, that I have forgotten how to sleep and it freaks me out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to everyone, I quit Benzos a year and a half ago now, and i could improve my sleeping highly. Anyway i still have at least no less than 1 incident per month where I sleep poorly 3HS to nothing at all. Triggered by a random worry or just the main fear of not having a good sleeping. To this point I'm not only blaming the benzos, which i took for a long time but to the anxiety my brain can not handle appropriately yet.

I keep struggling and I know now for me the best tools I made during this process are: Resilience to bad mornings because eventually everything always come back to normal. Sharing it with others like in this blog to see how many people fight back with the same issue and mimic their goals. Of course not all the recipes works for everyone the same way but there are some which does... like to listen that you will get it... that you'll sleep 6 - 7 even 8 hours again even when your not now, that you should keep doing exercises no matter how hard it takes because in the long run they will help you the most.

I used to take melatonin to help with sleeping but i know now that it doesn't help so much like pull yourself together, and just relax your muscles, breath quiet thinking "worry, get the fuck out, you're not real and you're not helping". hahaha sometimes she listen, but if not I promise you that tomorrow you'll sleep better. ::)

I have this exact problem when I don't get sleep during benzo withdrawal, I get extremely high anxiety the next day and actually feel like I'm jacked up when it happens. My eyesight starts getting all weird, my muscles start Contracting and I start to get nerve pain from lack of sleep as well.

And like you said, it's hard to even sit still when you're lacking sleep for a couple days, because you start getting really antsy. It feels really similar to taking way too many uppers like drinking a dozen cups of coffee in a row, and then adding physical symptoms onto it as well.

Exactly- Sleep deprivation is torture and thats why they would use in on the enemy in wars.

One night awake is bad enouigh because the body can rest and repair- Several nights- Hallucinating can happen- its terrible for the brain and causes atrophy and Dementia sometimes in the way elderly

i made the mistake of falling asleep at 8pm last night, because i was so tired from not sleeping the night before. i was watching a movie, laid down for a minute next thing i know its 1am. Been awake ever since. IDK... i personally just hate laying there in the dark in my bed all night like that. Wide awake. Mine as well drank a pot of coffee....no chance of falling asleep at all. The longer i lay there, the more restless and anxiety i get. Im going to therapy for insomnia and have tried it all, CBTI, sleep restriction, i do all kinds of things to help me fall asleep....herbal teas, incense, meditating, shit the list goes on and on and still i just lay there. I know its benzo related, even though im holding last two weeks at 5MG V i know cause last 10 years i slept great every night.....This only started once i started taking benzos again sigh..... benzos make my system hyper alert if that makes sense. They are suppose to calm you, and they do for the first few weeks maybe a month max, after that they turn my system to hyper mode. Thats the best wording i got for how i feel...everything is always on hyper alert mode. It sucks. I want to be off this 5MG of V NOW but the cuts of 1MG every 2 weeks is tough. My Dr. seems to think even that is going too slow. sigh. I told her i need to hold for now since im going through alot of trama right now. Not helping that im drinking off and on to try to help the anxiety that i get from not sleeping. I swear, if i could just sleep 8 hours a night this would be gravy.....but i cant....ill get in a routine where for 7 days im getting about  6 solid hours a night which is great...but then out of the blue i wont sleep a wink one night...then it starts. I get high anxiety next day and start drinking, then its a shit show to say the least. God help me off these drugs so i can get back to normal. Ive gone halfway down from 10MG to 5MG. I can do it, sigh.

That's the problem, don't rely on doctors and therapists to fix your sleep issues and help you with any benzo withdrawal related information. This problem was caused by big pharma, they didn't do enough research on these meds. Doctors are intelligent humans, they went to school for a long time and their purpose is to help us, problem is politics. Government won't tell you that their meds harmed you, so it's pretty much pointless asking them for help when it comes to Big Pharma injuries.

With all that being said, I'm at almost 4 years out and my sleep is completely reversed. I completely related to what you said about going to sleep too early and screwing yourself, I've been in this predicament for years.

The other "problem" is that MDs only receive a few weeks of pharmacological training during all the years of their medical training and almost all don't recognize or believe in Benzo WD, so they keep prescribing them in higher doses and for longer than the 2-4 weeks (maximum use) that is highly recommended.  Pharmacists know a lot more about Rx drugs than almost all doctors.  I received much better advice from a pharmacist who actually asked why an MD would prescribe Hadol for sleep?

They give it out like candy, once your hooked and ask them for thelp they cut you off cause they dont understand anything other than a 2 week taper plan if that.

I am down to 2.5 mgs of valium from 11.5.  Ieven though I am also taking gabapentin to help with taper, it was at first helping my sleep, but it the past three weeks is not.  I have only had one night of sleep in the past 5!  My anxiety is through the roof after a sleepless night.  If i get 8 hours of sleep, my day is almost normal.  I didn't think I had to slow down my taper while also taking gabapentin, but I guess i might have to.

No I have never had hallucinations during benzo withdrawal like that, especially big hairy spiders. However, one time I was going through intense delirium tremens at the ICU after being hospitalized for alcohol abuse, and I saw a rabbit with big sharp teeth on the table where the nurse was preparing some diazepam IVs through a PICC line. Sorry you're dealing with those, that's no fun.