How to start tapering when I feel terrible at full dose

[...]

Hi there buddies.

Firstly I would like to thank this forum for existing and saving my sanity during my first withdrawal and hopefully my current situation.

I currently take 70-80mg of diazepam a day as well as  codeine at 240mg daily.

My problem is I feel absolutely terrible at this dose, as soon as I taper either anxiety increases drastically and I feel I can't get anywhere.

I read people taking benzos for 20 years and then tapering, I think I would have lost my mind by then.

I would like to actually feel stable before tapering but it feels like withdrawal has started without cessation.

I feel trapped and damned if I do and well and truly damned if I don't.

I would like to know if anyone has felt many of the withdrawal symptoms during high use for a prolonged time? And what I should do.

I do also smoke, while I read that others say it does not affect them. My anxiety ramps up immediately after smoking (I know just stop) . I am addicted to smoking and codeine but the benzos I have no addiction to perse just a major dependence.

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm feeling like I don't know I can ever get out of this mess.

Many thanks

The fact that you experience an uptick in anxiety after smoking reminded of posts I’ve read here that the concentration of diazepam in the blood can be decreased by smoking.  You might want to research this further.  For example, a quick PubMed search produced this paper:

Smoking in patients receiving psychotropic medications: a pharmacokinetic perspective - PubMed

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11524025/

A quick Internet search produced this blog post:

How Smoking Affects Medications

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/view/how-smoking-affects-medications

I have no idea if Pharmacy Times is a credible source, but this claim caught my attention and might be worth further investigation and possible action (i.e., try NRT) on your part:

“Drug interactions are caused by components of tobacco smoke itself, rather than nicotine. This means nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) can be used without concern of drug interactions and medication changes.”

Hi libertas.

Thanks for the response.

During my obsessive googling I have come across the research into smoking and its effect on diazepam. really wish I could quit.

Although smoking has always increased anxiety in me even prior to diazepam use.

Rather frustrating, I guess if I can get smoking out the way it would make decreasing diazepam easier.

Recently I have been having really bad anxiety and panic at nights as well.

Really wish I never touched these damned drugs.

You sound like you are in tolerance withdrawal.  I believe my wife was also at this state when we began tapering and we had the same fear.  We still carried on with the taper when she told me she was ready and as she tapered she stabilized after a period of heavy withdrawals.  I'm not sure if it was due to the method we initially began tapering with, but it just worked out.  she has since gone from 0.5mg of k to 0.2075mg of k and is stabilizing at that dose.  Good luck, I'll be praying for you to have a good taper off this drug.

Thank you very much.

I feared I may be already feeling withdrawal. Going to be a long road.

I really want to quit smoking as a priority as it has always made me anxious. So I will start with that.

Then go through the codeine withdrawal for the 4th time. I had really bad teeth problems and codeine was the only thing that would relieve temporarily the pain of an abscess. So kept on relapsing.

Then remove what's left of caffeine (a lot of tea).

Hoping that then I will be in the healthiest mentally and physically to start the taper.

I will endeavour to keep the post updated with my progress.

Any advice will be appreciated

You might find this post of interest.  I wonder if Nicotine Replacement Therapy (e.g., gum, patches) might be an option for you?

The fact that you experience an uptick in anxiety after smoking reminded of posts I’ve read here that the concentration of diazepam in the blood can be decreased by smoking.  You might want to research this further.  For example, a quick PubMed search produced this paper:

Smoking in patients receiving psychotropic medications: a pharmacokinetic perspective - PubMed

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11524025/

A quick Internet search produced this blog post:

How Smoking Affects Medications

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/view/how-smoking-affects-medications

I have no idea if Pharmacy Times is a credible source, but this claim caught my attention and might be worth further investigation and possible action (i.e., try NRT) on your part:

“Drug interactions are caused by components of tobacco smoke itself, rather than nicotine. This means nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) can be used without concern of drug interactions and medication changes.”

Cheers, given the links a couple of reads and it is quite reassuring and quite a boost in will to quit.

I intend to quit tomorrow (nrt) and see how I do. Intrigued to see the difference. And if I will feel like I can start to taper diazepam.

Smoking is definitely a stimulant but even Ashton suggests to wait to quit as it will cause additional side effects.

I’m also a smoker and try to limit my intake. Some days I succeed, others, no.

Bravo to you if you can quit while going through this!! More power to you!!!!

Seems a bit of a catch 22 for me. I have failed already as I forgot and the benzo brain in the morning just does the norm.

Nevertheless I shall quit today after that error. And in future leave the patches on top the diazepam.