Video, Dr. Josef Witt-Doerring, Dec/22: Is Benzo Withdrawal Injury Permanent?

[La...]

It's a very good question and everyone wants to know the answer. Here is psychiatrist Dr. Josef Witt-Doerring in a short video, which was posted in December 2022, responding to the question: "Is Benzo Withdrawal Injury Permanent?"

Thank you Lapis2, I was very interested to hear him say right at the end about the typical timeframe for recovery.  He seemed hesitant to say definitively but his timeline lined up with what we see here, from several months to 2 years.

I was also pleased he mentioned but didn’t bash BenzoBuddies, he understood we see some of the worst cases here so our numbers in terms of protracted may be a bit skewed.

Thank you Lapis2, I was very interested to hear him say right at the end about the typical timeframe for recovery.  He seemed hesitant to say definitively but his timeline lined up with what we see here, from several months to 2 years.

I was also pleased he mentioned but didn’t bash BenzoBuddies, he understood we see some of the worst cases here so our numbers in terms of protracted may be a bit skewed.

Yes, I noticed that too, Pamster. It's good to have an objective, knowledgeable person who can weigh in on that fact (i.e. the skewed nature of the BB population).

This doctor and his wife have basically set up an entire practice to help people withdraw from benzos and other "crazy drugs". I think that is a sign of progress. Some doctors are finally getting it. Very hopeful. Of course, I have no idea how much he actually helps his patients with their withdrawal and recovery, but he certainly seems to understand the problem and the right approach to dealing with it.

Thanks for the link, Lapis

This doctor and his wife have basically set up an entire practice to help people withdraw from benzos and other "crazy drugs". I think that is a sign of progress. Some doctors are finally getting it. Very hopeful. Of course, I have no idea how much he actually helps his patients with their withdrawal and recovery, but he certainly seems to understand the problem and the right approach to dealing with it.

Thanks for the link, Lapis

You're welcome, redevan.

And yes, I agree with you, it's really encouraging to have the validation and support of an MD who is interested in this issue. It's highly specialized field with very few experts at present. I, for one, would have been thrilled to have access to such a doctor when I was going through the initial stages of benzo horror/withdrawal/taper, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
He's great! I'm in Europe so cannot be treated by him but we've exchanged emails. He has also been expert witness in law suits relating to benzodiazepine harm etc.