Study, Dec/22:New/Persistent Sedative-Hypnotic Use After Chemo for Breast Cancer

[La...]

The full title of this American study is "New and Persistent Sedative-Hypnotic Use After Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer".

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36130058/

Abstract

Background: Sedative-hypnotic medications are used to treat chemotherapy-related nausea, anxiety, and insomnia. However, prolonged sedative-hypnotic use can lead to dependence, misuse, and increased health-care use. We aimed to estimate the rates at which patients who receive adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer become new persistent users of sedative-hypnotic medications, specifically benzodiazepines and nonbenzodiazepine sedative-hypnotics (Z-drugs).

Methods: Using the MarketScan health-care claims database, we identified sedative-hypnotic-naïve patients who received adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer. Patients who filled 1 and more prescriptions during chemotherapy and 2 and more prescriptions up to 1 year after chemotherapy were classified as new persistent users. Univariate and multivariable logistic regression analyses were used to estimate odds of new persistent use and associated characteristics.

Results: We identified 22 039 benzodiazepine-naïve patients and 23 816 Z-drug-naïve patients who received adjuvant chemotherapy from 2008 to 2017. Among benzodiazepine-naïve patients, 6159 (27.9%) filled 1 and more benzodiazepine prescriptions during chemotherapy, and 963 of those (15.6%) went on to become new persistent users. Among Z-drug-naïve patients, 1769 (7.4%) filled 1 and more prescriptions during chemotherapy, and 483 (27.3%) became new persistent users. In both groups, shorter durations of chemotherapy and receipt of opioid prescriptions were associated with new persistent use. Medicaid insurance was associated with new persistent benzodiazepine use (odds ratio = 1.88, 95% confidence interval = 1.43 to 2.47) compared with commercial or Medicare insurance.

Conclusions: Patients who receive sedative-hypnotic medications during adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer are at risk of becoming new persistent users of these medications after chemotherapy. Providers should ensure appropriate sedative-hypnotic use through tapering dosages and encouraging nonpharmacologic strategies when appropriate.

Enter a cancer patient, leave a benzodiazepine victim, sounds about right.  Thank you Lapis2, I’m feeling especially pessimistic today.  :(

Enter a cancer patient, leave a benzodiazepine victim, sounds about right.  Thank you Lapis2, I’m feeling especially pessimistic today.  :(

Yes, I understand, Pamster. I was starting to watch that video about the malpractice lawsuit related to benzo injury, and I felt those angry feelings come up again. How can doctors not know about these meds with all of the info that is currently available to us? There is a TON of info and few excuses for it not to be shared with unsuspecting patients who trust their medical providers to explain things to them when prescribing medications.

This is very common knowledge in the cancer community!

They get all these weird side effects and assume it’s the chemo!

Most of them are given a benzo and have no idea.

I was given a benzo to sleep in the hospital while on bedrest with rare complicated twins at one of the best hospitals in the country (Mt Sinai)

My room was across from the break room and the door kept waking me up.

I asked for gravol, they gave me Ativan 1 mg.

They gave me Ativan while pregnant, I repeatedly asked if it was safe, told yes, you need sleep more

This was before the internet time on cell phones etc. I didn’t have a computer at the hospital.

5-6 weeks straight, sent home with nothing.

I was fine, except for strange health issues over the years, nothing major though.

Then came COVID, pneumonia and antibiotics, here I am.

I have shared my story with another large hospital here, they were in shock.

If I ever make it out of this, I will go back and let them know what they did to me.

I know it wasn’t intentional, but I’m angry, as I know all the difficulties my daughter had wasn’t just prematurity, but the fact she was in benzo wd.

Thank you both for your all your work with this group, it sure is a lasting legacy!

Winnie

• 3 weeks later...
This is uncalled for! I'm so sorry winniedog! I'm also angry about this. I'm only 25 yo and now fear that the choice of having children is taken away from me. I'm not even allowed to drive. These things should be addressed by the doctor and/or pharmacist before giving benzos.