Liquid Titration from .25 mg Clonazepam

[Tr...]

Hello:  I need to titrate down from .25 mg of clonazepam.  I formerly took 1 mg for about 8 years, reduced to .5mg about 4 years ago.  There was significant withdrawal symptoms at about the 3 week mark, but I managed to stay there and continued with the .5 mg for the next 4 years.  Then, two months ago, my (new) doctor had me make another 50% cut, from .5 mg to .25 mg.  Again, there was more withdrawal symptoms, but I seemed to weather them okay.  However, last week, the doctor suggested I skip taking it for 2 days at a time.  I tried.  I cannot do it.  It resulted in profound anxiety and profuse depression, making me feel like I am going crazy.  So, I know I need to titrate.  Having read here and there online, I think crushing the pills and making a liquid solution will be the best way for me to manage titrating down.  Does anyone here have experience and is willing to help me do the math to make the solution?

Thank you.

Trtp9909

Many doctors advise skipping doses and it's a very bad idea - it's gentler on our systems to take steady consistent doses because it maintains more consistent levels of the drug in our blood. 

Liquid titration is one method.  Have you considered using a scale?

Hello.  I didn’t think of using a scale. Are they accurate enough to measure tiny amounts of powder? Assuming I would still be crushing the pills… ?  And would I still make a daily tiny cut in the dosage amount?  I imagine I would first weigh out .25 mg (half of my .5 mg pill) to know my starting amount/weight and then plan cuts from there… ?  I actually think I have a small scale around here, that I was using for a powder formulation for my cat a few years ago.  So, I can do it this way if it’s easy enough to wrap my brain around it.  Is this way what is called a dry cut?  Thank you.

Trtp9909

Thank you, BrighterDay.  I checked out the links.  Whew, though, that seems like a lot of work and a lot of things to have to buy!  Seems to me easier to do a liquid taper where I would crush, add water and oraplus, shake, refrigerate, and then serve using a small 1 ml syringe.  I need easy and quick.  I think I will do the liquid instead.

Trtp9909

If memory serves, at least one of our currently active members is using OraPlus and the formulation linked below as the basis for his do-it-yourself (DIY) clonazepam liquid.  I do not recall if he dilutes his liquid with water or not but my understanding is that OraPlus can be diluted up to 50/50.

Suggestions to consider when making/using a DIY liquid include:

(1) Dose and dosing schedule permitting, use a combination of regular tablets and liquid as long as possible (i.e. take as much of your dose as possible in tablet form and use the liquid to make reductions).

(2) When switching to a new dosage form (i.e. the DIY liquid), hold at your current total daily dose for a week or so to evaluate how you react to the change.  If all is well, begin making reductions.

(3) Shake the DIY liquid vigorously before quickly measuring your dose.

Link:

0.1mg/mL Clonazepam Oral Suspension from Nationwide Children’s Hospital

https://www.nationwidechildrens.org/-/media/nch/specialties/pharmacy/compounding-formulas/clonazepam-oral.ashx

Hi trip99. I've used used liquid and pills to taper. It's a suspension that is a mixed of Ora plus as a media and crunched pills. Approaching 0.250 mg makes it hard to do that taper in pill form and using a scale could be complicated and inaccurate. I did two tapers using liquid suspención and is the way to go.

Ideally it would be great if your doctor can prescribe the suspension thru a compound pharmacy. Just make sure he orders a 0.1mg/ml concentration. The pharmacist knows exactly what to do. Also would be better but no super necessary if the pills brand they use be the same like the ones you are taking. This days they use the brand Accord.

There two things you have to be aware. Switching to liquid make take some time to get used to and as I said before the brand change could be a factor too to have a ramp up of symptoms. However its something bearable that may take a week or two. Most of the time I didn't have any issues.

If you can't get the prescription thru your doctor you can do it yourself but you depend of him to get the pills to do so.

Doctors are stubborn and don't like to be questioned with prescriptions. You have to be very diplomatic and show him Libertas link about children's hospital Clonazepam suspension paper. That'll show him that what you are asking is a usual way of tapering.

If the doctor refuse to prescribe it you can still go and do it yourself as long as you are able to get the pills. I'll be happy to help you.

I have the Clonazapam compound at 0.1mg/ml. The formula is from a children’s hospital. How do I taper down from .8 mg the most comfortable way using all liquid?

• 2 months later...

Hi trip99. I've used used liquid and pills to taper. It's a suspension that is a mixed of Ora plus as a media and crunched pills. Approaching 0.250 mg makes it hard to do that taper in pill form and using a scale could be complicated and inaccurate. I did two tapers using liquid suspención and is the way to go.

Ideally it would be great if your doctor can prescribe the suspension thru a compound pharmacy. Just make sure he orders a 0.1mg/ml concentration. The pharmacist knows exactly what to do. Also would be better but no super necessary if the pills brand they use be the same like the ones you are taking. This days they use the brand Accord.

There two things you have to be aware. Switching to liquid make take some time to get used to and as I said before the brand change could be a factor too to have a ramp up of symptoms. However its something bearable that may take a week or two. Most of the time I didn't have any issues.

If you can't get the prescription thru your doctor you can do it yourself but you depend of him to get the pills to do so.

Doctors are stubborn and don't like to be questioned with prescriptions. You have to be very diplomatic and show him Libertas link about children's hospital Clonazepam suspension paper. That'll show him that what you are asking is a usual way of tapering.

If the doctor refuse to prescribe it you can still go and do it yourself as long as you are able to get the pills. I'll be happy to help you.

Hi,

I’m following here. I am currently dry cut and hold with a scale approx 5% of latest dose every 4 weeks. ClonazePam 1 mg for about 30 years (?) I’m at 0.214 grams (0.63 mg), but the cuts seem to really bother me and I’m not sure if I should try a DLMT. I’d absolutely try to do a dry MT with a scale, but my house is 320 years old (unlevel, drafts) and it’s impossible to weigh every day. The scale is constantly jumping. I calibrate about 20 or so times each time I cut. There in lies the daily cut problem. I spend hours every 3 weeks cutting and weighing out doses for the month, which is exhausting. I can’t find a pharmacy in my area that will compound for a price I can afford, so I’m feeling pretty trapped.

I just feel the cut and hold for weeks is causing more symptoms than perhaps a DMT would. (Daily Micro Taper)

I realize that most people in other groups suggest using water method, but that seems iffy to me. I also know that it’s best to let symptoms guide you and I want to do that. I just don’t understand how this process works. Any way you could point me in a clear direction? I’d probably start at 0.5mg when I get there in a few months. I was also using Accord and just received Solco brand, so that should be fun! 😡

I’m probably being too vague, but the video I’ve seen with the woman doing the 300 ml of water and pulling 1ml every day sort of scares me. I have only dosed once every morning since forever. I don’t feel any interdose withdrawals, just sxs for about two weeks or more a week or so after each cut.

Thanks for any insight… anyone.