Valium and Xanax Combo Taper

[Ch...]

I've been taking 7.5mg of Valium/day for a year or so (was high does prior) and added in late November 2022 roughly .25mg of Xanax/day in between.

Valium = 10mg pills that I 1/4 and take 3 of the 1/4's/day - Morning/Noon/Night.

Xanax = .5mg pills that I 1/4 and take 2 of the 1/4's (total .25/day for ~3 months sometimes I'll take an extra 1/4 not always) in between the noon and nightly Valium doses.

Was debating cutting the Xanax all together and waiting a week or 2 then going to 5mg of Valium/day. Thoughts?

Also, has anyone heard of high doses of Vitamin C via an IV drip helping with withdrawal?

I feel eliminating the Xanax first is an excellent idea while still on the Valium, its long half life will hopefully help with the withdrawal symptoms from the Xanax.  I wouldn’t put a time line on it just yet, its a good idea to let your symptoms guide you.

First though its important to determine your actual daily dose so if you sometimes take a little extra Xanax I’d eliminate that first and hold that dose for a week or so, we could call this your first reduction. 

Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes I forget if I’ve take some of the Xanax doses so I guess I’ll nix  that and see what happens. Perhaps I should have a better system of keeping track. 

Yes, record keeping is essential, your daily doses and your symptoms rated by severity.  You’ll then use this information to inform your taper, it can guide you on your symptom based taper, not some arbitrary timeline that doesn’t work for most of us.  We’re all unique so we need to design our tapers to fit our needs and lifestyle.

As for your question about vitamin C, I haven’t read anything about it here but I’m skeptical.  You could ask your question on this board and some members might drop by to provide feedback. Alternative Therapies & Supplements