6 months off. Healing is REAL! Just keep going

[Be...]

Today I am 6 months off xanax. I was on it for 2 years at variable doses, up to 3mg/day. I also drank alcohol heavily throughout the whole time I was on xanax including my taper. I still have lingering problems but I can safely say the worst of it is behind me now. I know I must be healing because withdrawal is no longer on my mind constantly. I used to be obsessed with my symptoms and I'd spend nearly all of my time reading other people's stories (mostly negative ones). I was convinced I had brain damage or a neurological disease and I thought the suffering would never end. I'm now pleased to say that it does get better with time.

I'm nowhere near 100% recovered but the other side is well and truly in sight now. It just takes time, and then even more time. Patience is essential. There are no shortcuts, no miracle cures, the only way out is through. You just have to keep going until you make it. It's a very slow and gradual process. Our brains are recalibrating. Human beings have an extrordinary ability to recover from the most difficult situations. The brain and body will heal eventually, no matter how much damage has been done. Believe me, I did some serious damage to myself, but that's in the past now. Things are looking much better now and I can finally see that progress is being made.

Just take things one day at a time, this is only a small chapter in our lives. I respect everyone here, we are all much stronger than we realise. I don't think anything in life will test us more than withdrawing from benzos, so once we make it through this, we can truly make it through anything. I don't spend much time on this forum anymore but I'll be back to write a success story when I feel the time is right. Just keep going and never give up.

Today I am 6 months off xanax. I was on it for 2 years at variable doses, up to 3mg/day. I also drank alcohol heavily throughout the whole time I was on xanax including my taper. I still have lingering problems but I can safely say the worst of it is behind me now. I know I must be healing because withdrawal is no longer on my mind constantly. I used to be obsessed with my symptoms and I'd spend nearly all of my time reading other people's stories (mostly negative ones). I was convinced I had brain damage or a neurological disease and I thought the suffering would never end. I'm now pleased to say that it does get better with time.

I'm nowhere near 100% recovered but the other side is well and truly in sight now. It just takes time, and then even more time. Patience is essential. There are no shortcuts, no miracle cures, the only way out is through. You just have to keep going until you make it. It's a very slow and gradual process. Our brains are recalibrating. Human beings have an extrordinary ability to recover from the most difficult situations. The brain and body will heal eventually, no matter how much damage has been done. Believe me, I did some serious damage to myself, but that's in the past now. Things are looking much better now and I can finally see that progress is being made.

Just take things one day at a time, this is only a small chapter in our lives. I respect everyone here, we are all much stronger than we realise. I don't think anything in life will test us more than withdrawing from benzos, so once we make it through this, we can truly make it through anything. I don't spend much time on this forum anymore but I'll be back to write a success story when I feel the time is right. Just keep going and never give up.

Congrats. What have your sxs been?

• 1 month later...

8 month update... Things are still improving and healing is definitely picking up more speed. I still have symptoms but they are totally manageable. They don't have much of an impact on my daily life. I hold down a full-time job, I've bought my first home (something I would never have done if I stayed on benzos and alcohol), I am regaining my confidence and communicating with people a little better. I still get hit by waves but they are less severe and don't last as long as they used to.

I don't want to get too ahead of myself because I know this journey is so unpredictable and I am fully prepared for more tough moments along the way before I am fully healed. But I am really starting to notice some big improvement now. I can only hope and assume this will continue until I am recovered. I know it's impossible to put a timescale on it but I'm hoping to make a full recovery between 12-18 months. The one piece of advice that I can think of right now is: do not put your entire life on hold because of this. As long as you are relatively stable and functional, try and push on with life to the best of your ability, and healing will naturally happen for you. I won't go into too much detail as I will save that for another time (success story).

Keep fighting and never give in, a life without benzos is worth it.

Wow, you are so lucky to have recovered so soon. Congrats.

Thank you Rebecca but I am certainly not recovered yet. I still have symptoms but they are manageable most of the time. I have 2 or 3 main symptoms which really do bother me and then a few others lingering in the background. The worst one which affects me now is hypnic jerks when I'm trying to fall asleep. They are horrible, but luckily I do manage to fall asleep after a while.

UGH -- yes, I know those. I had them. They went but I get one every once in awhile now. Did you take any other medications during wd?

UGH -- yes, I know those. I had them. They went but I get one every once in awhile now. Did you take any other medications during wd?

No, none at all. I tried literally every supplement/vitamin/herbal remedy you could think of though. I took them in the acute phase because I was desperate for something to help fight the withdrawal. I was chasing a miracle cure. After a while I realised there isn't one and the only thing that heals us is time.