Terrible Insomnia

[Es...]

I was prescribed Valium 5mg-10mg nightly for insomnia which I had been experiencing for approx a week (it wasn't previously an issue)  and elevated heartrate, which was considered caused by anxiety.    I was able to skip nights, eventually two, three, four nights and I was under the impression that my body was learning to sleep naturally on the nights that I could sleep without taking a tablet.  This went on for approx three years til near the end of Sept. 2022.  At that point I was down to about using only two 5mg tablets for a whole week.  Then I started getting horrible chest pains after using it and had to stop. 

After that my doctor prescribed Mirtazapine (discontinued after 2 weeks due to horrible side effects), Seroquel (1 day - bad side effects), Lunesta (2 weeks), then Zopiclone (two weeks).  When I started experiencing worsening side effects from Zopiclone near the end of November, I decided that was enough and I quit looking for sleep medications. 

My sleep stopped and I went two weeks without sleep.  Bits and pieces of sleep have started coming back, but they never resemble more than approx 30-60mins a night.  I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced insomnia this badly and how long this is likely to last in my kind of situation?  The only medication I am currently taking is metoprolol (75mg twice a day).   

I’ve never been a great sleeper so I’ve chased it all my life and supplementing with the most unhealthy substances there are.  First it was alcohol, then Klonopin, then Ambien, all to the detriment of my sleep.  Since giving all of these substances up, sleep has improved.  It’s still not perfect but I’ll take the natural and normal off nights over the nightmare I’ve put myself through searching for instant gratification.

It looks to me like your sleep was doing just fine until you took that first Valium, yes, life events were conspiring to disrupt your sleep but if you would have said no to the drug at the point, it’s possible you could have bypassed all of this misery.

If I were you in your shoes, and I was, I’d just say not to all of the so-called sleep aids and get back to basics, it worked for me and I hope it will work for you too.  It takes time but think about it, every creature on this earth knows how to sleep, what makes us so ‘special’?

I was ignorant and didn't know about "benzos" and that they shouldn't be used long-term.    Valium pretty much solved my issues immediately and every time I was able to go a night without taking a tablet to sleep, I was more convinced that my body was learning how to sleep on its own again and that eventually I wouldn't need to bother with the medication anymore.    I never once felt addicted, felt cravings and never once tried to increase the dose. 

My doctor didn't say anything, but simply kept prescribing it.  I feel like there should be a way to hold a doctor accountable, or at least restrictions to prevent him/her from unduly prescribing short-term, potentially devastating drugs, for long-term usage.    No one should have to go through this, and so many people are experiencing far worse.

If I were you in your shoes, and I was, I’d just say not to all of the so-called sleep aids and get back to basics, it worked for me and I hope it will work for you too.  It takes time but think about it, every creature on this earth knows how to sleep, what makes us so ‘special’?

Completely agree.  It is inspiring to hear of your success and others' at getting through this.  It has been excruciating, but I am committed to staying away from the deceptiveness of "sleep-medications" (and many other medications).

Your frustration is understandable and you’ll find many here who share it but while we’re justified in feeling this way, it isn’t healthy for us at the moment because this process consumes us with negativity and that can morph into anxiety which hurts us by increasing our symptoms. 

I’m gratified to know you’ll ignore the deceptive nature of sleep medications, they’re like many other shortcuts we take in our daily lives, they end up costing us more, taking more time and causing us more trouble than if we’d have chosen the right path in the first place. 

Shortly after having to stop Valium, I had googled sleep medications and learned about quazepam, a drug more specifically used for insomnia. I asked my doctor for a prescription and he gave me one.  But I don't think he knew much about the medication. I went to the pharmacy and was told it is not available here in Canada.  I am thankful that I didn't end up using another benzo due to my ignorance and my doctor's ignorance!

I’ve never heard of quazepam, and I’ve been around this community for a long time.  :o  I’m glad its not available in Canada, you lucked out.