Loved One Wants to start Long Taper

[qu...]

My mother has been taking benzodiazepines on and off for about 20 years. Her most recent stint involved a daily dose of 3mg of Klonopin and 6mg of Xanax from Nov 2021 up until recently.

Two weeks ago, she stopped taking the benzos, her Suboxone, her daily dose of 900mg of Gabapentin, went on a week-long vodka bender, entered the hospital for a week-long alcohol detox that involved a Librium taper, was then discharged and now is taking a daily prescription of 2mg of Ativan with no Gabapentin, Suboxone, or alcohol.

She's still having withdrawal symptoms like insomnia, cold sweats, nausea, diarrhea and shakes constantly. I just moved in with her to help and can see that she's physically suffering.

Naturally, I'd like her to withdraw from all of these medications. I've been assured by the doctors that the gabapentin and suboxone are out of her system and that the amount of Ativan she's taking is high enough to make up for a year of Klonopin and Xanax tolerance followed by two weeks of abstinence. However, I'm certain that she's still experiencing withdrawl.

I don't really know what I'm doing, and I don't think her psychiatrist does either. My mom is obviously an addict and this psychiatrist just gives her whatever she wants and is blind to the effects of what he gives her. She spent $20k on a benzo rehab last September and he still wrote her a script two months later undoing all of her work.

Here's my question: Do I ask doc to try to get her Ativan dose high enough until the withdrawal stops and then get doc to support a long-term Valium substitution taper? This whole thing will only work if I do it myself. She can't be trusted to take the prescribed amount.

Thanks for reading.

Your mothers Ativan dose is woefully inadequate considering her previous use, have you added up her former dose to find out if its remotely equivalent? https://clincalc.com/Benzodiazepine/. I seriously doubt you’re going to find a doctor willing to prescribe the amount of Diazepam she’d need to do a taper.  My hope you can find a doctor willing to prescribe the Ativan she’ll need.

As someone who is recovering I have to ask, is your mother ready to do this?  Quitting benzo’s is far more difficult than alcohol or opiates as I’m sure she knows, are you confident in her ability to do this?  I know you believe you can help her do this but if her commitment isn’t solid, I worry your emotional well being is at risk because her taper and ecovery will most likely take years.

Thanks for responding Pam.

I convinced her doc to switch to Klonopin which is longer-acting and started her on 3mg. She seems to be doing a bit better, but the shaking continues.

She is committed to undergoing withdrawal.

The real challenge is that she's an addict and has attempted suicide in the past. I'm thinking I could stop by every weekend to give her pills and, if she misuses them, she'll have to wait until the next batch.

The only other alternative is living at home with her and dispensing the meds daily. However my current job that I'm taking a leave from works me 12hrs a day, 5 days a week, and I wouldn't be around for every dose.

Right now the goal is to get her to a dose that is sustainable and then start the taper. I guess I'll figure the rest out later.

I’m happy to hear she’s committed to getting free, and providing pills for her each week sounds like the best route.  It’s good you care and I’m glad you’re going to help her but she needs to own her recovery and her being responsible for her weekly pill ration is a good way for her to do just that.

I’m glad she was able to make the switch to Klonopin, when do you plan to begin her taper and what rate are you thinking?

• 2 weeks later...

My mother has been taking benzodiazepines on and off for about 20 years. Her most recent stint involved a daily dose of 3mg of Klonopin and 6mg of Xanax from Nov 2021 up until recently.

Two weeks ago, she stopped taking the benzos, her Suboxone, her daily dose of 900mg of Gabapentin, went on a week-long vodka bender, entered the hospital for a week-long alcohol detox that involved a Librium taper, was then discharged and now is taking a daily prescription of 2mg of Ativan with no Gabapentin, Suboxone, or alcohol.

She's still having withdrawal symptoms like insomnia, cold sweats, nausea, diarrhea and shakes constantly. I just moved in with her to help and can see that she's physically suffering.

Naturally, I'd like her to withdraw from all of these medications. I've been assured by the doctors that the gabapentin and suboxone are out of her system and that the amount of Ativan she's taking is high enough to make up for a year of Klonopin and Xanax tolerance followed by two weeks of abstinence. However, I'm certain that she's still experiencing withdrawl.

I don't really know what I'm doing, and I don't think her psychiatrist does either. My mom is obviously an addict and this psychiatrist just gives her whatever she wants and is blind to the effects of what he gives her. She spent $20k on a benzo rehab last September and he still wrote her a script two months later undoing all of her work.

Here's my question: Do I ask doc to try to get her Ativan dose high enough until the withdrawal stops and then get doc to support a long-term Valium substitution taper? This whole thing will only work if I do it myself. She can't be trusted to take the prescribed amount.

Thanks for reading.

The suboxone withdrawls last months..even people stopping at a low dose of 2mg need to draw it out and they suffer for long time..  it’s one of the hardest drug to come off of. So Even if it’s not in her system or urine,  she still needs to go back on it.  Has she yet?  I hope so.  Check out reddits suboxone forum and will see how peoples are stuck on it.  She can get a Sublocade shot instead after going back on suboxone temporarily,  or follow this guide. 

http://www.helpmegetoffdrugs.com/taper