Dementia risk and Benzo use

[JG...]

Hi guys!

So there's a reasonable amount of research to suggest long term use of benzos at high dose correlates with some increased risk of dementia and other neuro-cog decline at statistically signif levels (eg: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6325366/#:~:text=This%20meta%2Danalysis%20pooled%20ten,duration%20(%3E3%20years) )

There's also research that shows that statins can cause short term confusion, memory loss etc. as well as other symptoms that are coterminous with benzo withdrawal (tinnitus, pins and needles, muscle fatigue, dizziness etc) (odds risk: up to 1 in 100 people). These negative side effects are reversed upon stopping the drug.

However, the consensus on recent research seems to be that "Statins are associated with decreased incidence of Alzheimer's disease, dementia, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Each statin lowered the incidence of neurodegenerative diseases (NDD)..." (source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7687291/#:~:text=Statins%20are%20associated%20with%20decreased,with%20the%20exception%20of%20fluvastatin )

So, having weighed up the pros and cons (and regardless of the proven benefits for preventing heart attacks and strokes), I am minded to start taking them for their neuro benefits alone.

But I would be interested to hear what others' views are! :)

Hope you are all doing ok in terms of your ongoing personal battles with recovery from Benzos!

Much love, JGT73

Statins have their own risks so you should do your homework. In my opinion once you get off benzos and go through the healing process the memory returns (mine did) and I had terrible short term memory.  Now my memory is as sharp as it always was

Thanks for that, Jdoe1211. That's great that your memory is back to normal. Mine is definitely a lot better too, (I'm almost 3 years benzo and alcohol free now) although I've still got some lingering symptoms that I suspect will be with me for life now.