Klonopin Rapid Taper

[So...]

Hi all, I hope you are all well!  I am a 24 yr old female who was put on klonopin 2mg/day everyday at 18.  The past year and a half I have been tapering off, but it seems I didn't do it correctly at all.  I was going down by .25mg every couple of months.  I was very confident as the first few tapers I didn't even notice.  About a year ago on a .75 to .5 jump I started having bad panic attacks, DP/DR, & depression so I reinstated after a month to .75mg.  I was going well again this yr until a month after my .5 to .25mg jump I had the same symptoms but worse.  I got really scared and paranoid and went in patient for 26 days and they got me totally off the klonopin.  I realized before I went inpatient that I was tapering too fast but I was just so scared I was going to die and I wanted to be in a medical setting.  I was put on Remeron 15mg/day and propranolol 10mg as needed.  I was also put on Gabapentin 100mg 3x/day but being on it scared me so I stopped CT after 21 days (5 days ago).  I should also add that I was on Remeron and Propanolol 10 yrs ago and I did just fine on them and got off rather easy.  I felt like I was doing okay until stopping the Gabapentin, but the last few days have been hard.  My main symptoms are confusion, trouble concentrating (for example cant watch TV or read), DP/DR, headache, panic attacks, heart palpitations, brain fog, constant anxiety, & depression.  At least the Remeron is helping me sleep but without it I can't.  I guess I'd just like some hope and some advice.  Today is day 27 no klonopin which is when my symptoms usually peaked while tapering so hopefully knowing my body I will start feeling better in a few weeks to a month like my tapers?  Are most peoples jumps like their tapers? Any and all advice is appreciated!  I can probably afford to take one more month off work but I will need to go back soon.  Also, reinstating is not an option for me, I flushed all my pills and would honestly rather die than ever touch another kpin.

Help me understand your situation, you’re free from the Clonazepam and Gabapentin but you’re still taking the Remeron and propranolol?  If this is the case, I wouldn’t taper from these other medications until you’re recovered from stopping the Clonazepam and Gabapentin.  It will most likely take you many months to finally feel well enough to taper them but your body needs a break, stopping both of these drugs practically cold turkey is a shock to your body.

Recovery can take as long or longer than our tapers so understanding this is important going forward so you can accept what is happening.  Learning as much as you can about the recovery process will help you fear it less and as far as work is concerned, do you think you can function at work?  I was able to go back 3 weeks after my cold turkey and it was brutal but the distraction work provided was a blessing.  I actually started to dread weekends.

Yes I am free from the Clonzapam and Gabapentin but I am taking Remeron and Propanolol still.  I took both of these medications at 15 and they seemed to help me, ever since starting them this time around though I feel way worse but I also quit the klonopin and gabapentin so I can't tell what symptoms are from what.  I certainly didn't feel like this the last time I was on them.  And yeah that's a good way to describe it, my body feels like it is in shock and I am scared I will never feel better again.  I am hoping that I can function at work, luckily I work from home so I can sort of stop and pick back up as I need to, it's just really hard for me to concentrate.  Thank you so much for your reply and advice!

I believe the reason you’re feeling like this is due to stopping the Klonopin, the Gabapentin could be playing a part but the main culprit is the benzo. 

I know you’re afraid but what you’re feeling is absolutely normal including the fear, its a huge withdrawal symptom and you can recover, it just takes too long.

I’m glad you’re considering going back to work, like I said it’s not easy but I felt it was a lot better for me than focusing on my symptoms all day and night with no distraction. Cognitive issues are common too but if you can work from home then you can take the time you need without an audience of people waiting while you try to think through a situation.

I share your sentiment about the benzos!

Pamster knows from first-hand experience with Klonopin since she fully healed from a CT and then from a sleep med.

If you can take time in the next month to focus on the basics (healthy food, drinking enough water, breathing, walking/moving a bit, sleep if you can) and not worry too much about work, that might help. Everyone is different, so it all depends on what is most self-supportive for you. I have personally needed to take a lot of time off to heal. I am living with family.

Just know that symptoms calm down, wax, and wane, and you should see progress as time progresses. You will function again. The beginning is the hardest part of the journey for most people. You could see progress soon, or it could take some time. It all depends on factors that are out of our control. But what you can count on is that healing is happening. Even if you think it isn't.

I feel as thought the main reason is the benzo too.  Last year when this happened to me after a cut I thought it was my birth control and I stopped it, but all my symptoms line up pretty well with that time.  I never would have thought all this would happen just from getting off klonopin.  All I can do now though is ride this out, no matter how long it takes.  I have a lot of ups and downs even in one day and at some points I'm feeling hopeless and others I am full of hope.  Idk, two more days marks one month since I jumped.  Thank you so much for the words of encouragement, I truly do think healing is happening, when I have a bad day I just try to think "this is my brain healing."  Even one month of this though has been exhausting, no one should have to go thru this hell as long as some ppl have had to. 

I can barely even do simple tasks but if I push myself I think I could at least manage part time.  I kind of need to start again soon just to have money to live.    Being on forums like this are helpful and hurtful as I am obsessing on how long this will last so I am trying to limit my time.  I just can't wait to be med free and have kids one day, that is what started this journey for me.  I'm going thru this withdrawl so my baby doesn't have to, that's what I keep telling myself.