PAWS anexity

[Pi...]

I'm about 6 months out cold turkey off Xanax which I used intermittently for about 4 years at a low dose. Physical and mental withdrawal symptoms are getting much better but still sleep issues and high anxiety at times much worse than when I started the drug (which is why I took  the Xanax in the first place). I am going to address the issues that started all this once my head is clear (hopefully by summer). I do have appointments that have to be met now that really can't wait. One of them is the dentist. I tried to go a few days ago but my anxiety reached a level which caused me to cancel the appointment. My nervous system is still extremely edgy. My question is to anyone who may have tried this is would a very small amount of Xanax after 6 months of cold turkey for one day here and there say 1/4 of a milligram really set me back or is this a logical way to progress till I'm through this? Two weeks after the beginning of the cold turkey I did this for a dental appointment and nothing since. It did get me through the appointment fairly easily. I would greatly appreciate opinions or suggestions. Thanks. 

Hello Pinster

Withdrawal symptoms can take quite a while to settle down, but it will get better over time. I am glad some of the symptoms have eased off.

If it was me I wouldn't go backwards, you have come such a long way at 6 months benzofree. I know appointments are difficult, but we have to learn to deal with them.

We have a dedicated board dealing with Insomnia and Anxiety you can connect with others who can offer some ideas and help.

Insomnia

Anxiety     

You can do this!

Magrita :smitten:

I wouldn't advise taking rescue doses. We have many people who end up back either in acute or dependent because they've done this and then they have to start tapering again. It's just not worth it.

You are fortunate. You've come so far, getting to six months and resolving some physical and mental symptoms. Some people do not have that experience at six months off. Congrats on getting this far.

Have you researched kindling and what could happen if you take a dose? To each their own, no judgment, but know the risk/reward profile before deciding to proceed.

I just passed the four-month mark a week ago, so I am behind you. I understand the increase in anxiety. I have had severe anxiety and panic attacks. The anxiety I had before benzos was nothing compared to this. However, I understand that it is rebound anxiety; it is temporary and will pass. It sucks, but I take cold showers and put ice water on my face to deal with it. I do HRV breathing with an app.

Sometimes, people come to me if I cannot leave the house. I have hired someone to drive me to medical appointments if I do need to go, and I have also taken a friend to support me/hold my hand to run errands and such. People have been happy to help.

All this is to say that you can get creative when supporting yourself through this difficult time. You do not have to take a pill if you do not want to. I personally think it is better to be safe than sorry. I will never touch a benzodiazepine or any other psych med again. I see these meds as ticking time bombs and the potential for more symptoms and pain than I have already experienced.

Hi guys: Thanks to all who took the time to communicate with me. Still trying to navigate the site so please bear with me. Its a funny thing 6 month or so cold turkey. I originally took the Xanax for sleep problems especially when traveling. In the beginning of the Cold Turkey I was sleeping excessively. Very little energy and very weak muscles. Could not walk more than a block because of the Jelly Legs. Muscle twitches with extreme muscle pain and foggy thinking are fading. Energy levels are slowly returning. Now I'm having EXTREME muscle tightness, problems sleeping and a racing heart at night. It's almost like I've whiplashed from one extreme to the other. Any thoughts would be welcome. Can't function without sleep.

It will pass. I had a recent sleep “whiplash” and now I’m back to sleeping three weeks later. I do not introduce anything pharmaceutical into the mix. The body adjusts on its own. One thing I did was declare my sense of safety back in the bedroom so I wasn’t afraid of not sleeping. Hugging a pillow really helps me to feel safe. So I hug a pillow now.

Symptoms wax and wane. Sometimes new ones appear and others disappear. It's really a roller-coaster ride. With time the intensity will fade and symptoms will become less. We just need to wait it out. It does become better. I know insomnia sucks. I struggle with it too. On a good night I get 3hrs of unbroken sleep, if not, I really struggle the following day.