How I tapered the end

[je...]

I'm making this post because I know how much I struggled to figure out how to proceed with tapering the low numbers. Hopefully this will help someone.

It can be very tricky and difficult to decide how to taper when you hit the low numbers. The problem is tapering according to percentages is best but at some stage you need to switch to linear tapering otherwise you’ll never finish tapering. If you think about it, the day you jump, your final cut will be a 100% cut. But determining when the correct time is to switch to linear tapering is tricky. And there’s no real guidance or rule of thumb. I went through countless signatures and was none the wiser. In the end I just experimented with mine. At 0.125mg Clonazepam I decided to go linear. Initially the plan was to micro taper at 0.001mg per day for a month and then do a two week hold after each month. But it was too much for me. At the three weeks mark I felt my symptoms increase. So I held my dose and changed my approach. I then tapered at 0.001mg per day for 7 days, holding 3 days. This worked for me. I tapered like this all the way to jumping with no problems. I jumped at 0.025mg.

• Love 1

Thanks JB!!! I am doing .01mg a month as of .15mg and below .11mg I was much better than most of last year. Starting to have aka back which is very hard for me and slowing down last year helped that a lot. However now don’t know if I should hold a couple weeks and see how that goes or at .085mg if I just keep at .01mg down over a month (liquid micro) just is what needs to keep happening. Gaining some function back in Nov and Dec was wonderful even though I still had 20-30 symptoms.

This is all so hard to know what step to make! So glad you made it off and things were manageable for you at end of your taper!! Hugs and thanks for passing on info and being such a great support on here! 

I'm sorry the akathisia is returning - it must be terrible. I am very fortunate I never experienced it. If you had some improvement at the end of the year, then slowing down might help. It doesn't have to be either holding or tapering at 0.01mg. You can taper a tiny bit and then hold a bit. That's why I liked what I did at the end. It felt like I was still getting off and making progress while holding enough to recover. I'm not saying you have to follow my 7/3 plan, but just know you have different ways/options of moving forward. The most important thing to remember though is while you're on the drug you still have some level of control - once you're off there's no going back or holding trying to manage your symptoms.

Anyway you're so close to the end, you'll soon be jumping!  :smitten:

Thanks JB… ya maybe I need to switch up the microtaper plan, I basically am holding at a particular ML for four days, then down another .05mL for

Four days, and it adds to a .01mg drop by end of 30

Days. So holding in a way but maybe I need to try out making a larger drop and holding for 2wks. I never did well with cut and hold after a certain point, .625mg I had to go over to micro bc a .03mg drop even at this higher dose brought on severe akathisia. Thankfully I made it to this point with microtaper but maybe I’ll adjust. Thanks again!!!

You and Nervouswreck are my go tos since y’all are jjsy off and getting weeks and months behind y’all! Hugs deal!  Yay!!!!

This is good to know for when I get there.  Jelly please save this post so when I ask you (again and again) you'll have it handy.  ;)

It's good you're saying this now, because I'll lose it and then have to go search through all my endless ramblings on this forum for the one thing that actually made sense!  :laugh:

Thank you, j b, for posting this. I'm struggling trying to figure out what to do. I've jumped to 10%/14 cutting daily for the last three days and have been "OK." I'm not really any worse than I was going a bit slower. I'm considering, though, trying to go at .001 mg per day, as I've tried a few times in the past. Maybe this three days of holding thing is something that would work for me. All I can do is try... I'm so ready to be off at .098 mg K today and planning to jump at .025 mg.

Thank you, j b, for posting this. I'm struggling trying to figure out what to do. I've jumped to 10%/14 cutting daily for the last three days and have been "OK." I'm not really any worse than I was going a bit slower. I'm considering, though, trying to go at .001 mg per day, as I've tried a few times in the past. Maybe this three days of holding thing is something that would work for me. All I can do is try... I'm so ready to be off at .098 mg K today and planning to jump at .025 mg.

Yeah, finding a way to tackle the end is very tricky. We can only keep experimenting. Short holds definitely made it easier for me. Hope you find your sweet spot!

Hi Hereforhelp (Eugene 😁),

Are you still doing the direct ClonazePam cut and weigh dry taper? You are very low and I’m so impressed!

I’m considering a water taper with the ClonazePam because I just can’t get my scales to calibrate and it might be my house. So sensitive! I have someone setting up a plan for 5% cut each month. No clue, as usual, but I’ll give it a try. If all else fails I’ll have to cash out some stocks and try the compounding. I had so wished I could stick to the dry cut and hold, but my latest cut, which was only about 6% has me reeling late at night. I feel very insecure now knowing my dose weights are probably all off by way more than I’d thought was okay.

If my calculations are correct I started at approx 330 grams (two 0.5 mg accord pills weighing approx 165 grams each) and am down to approx 0.265 grams almost two months in. That means I’ve cut 0.065 grams in two months. That would be 10% from each cut. I think I might need to switch to 5% cuts. Remember, I was eyeballing the first month. Why, oh why can’t this be easier?

Sorry to rant. I wish you well on your cuts.

❤️

C

hello jelly baby...  congratulations on finishing your taper.  you must feel so relieved.  i hope im there soon too.  thanks for posting how you reduced at the end.  i was wondering how and when i should finish the last phase of my very slow taper.  its helped me with planning mine.  congratulations again to you.  wishing you health & healing <3  jill

hello jelly baby...  congratulations on finishing your taper.  you must feel so relieved.  i hope im there soon too.  thanks for posting how you reduced at the end.  i was wondering how and when i should finish the last phase of my very slow taper.  its helped me with planning mine.  congratulations again to you.  wishing you health & healing <3  jill

Thanks jillybean

I'm glad it was helpful and sure your end will be there in no time!

• 1 month later...

Jelly Belly,

Can you clarify a bit for me?  I’m at 0.08 mg.  If I was to do your technique, do I reduce my dose by 0.001 mg each day for 7 days, then hold for 3, then resume 0.001 mg reductions for 7 days then hold for 3?

Im willing to try.  I have a liquid compound from my pharmacist and am using an insulin type of syringe to make my measurements. 

Jelly Belly,

Can you clarify a bit for me?  I’m at 0.08 mg.  If I was to do your technique, do I reduce my dose by 0.001 mg each day for 7 days, then hold for 3, then resume 0.001 mg reductions for 7 days then hold for 3?

Im willing to try.  I have a liquid compound from my pharmacist and am using an insulin type of syringe to make my measurements.

Yes, your understanding is correct. That's what I did.

Hi, JB

I am new to this forum. I'm very interested in micro cut. But I don't understand

that if you microtapers for 7 days, and holds their dose for 3 days .from your signature

05/06 0.821

05/19 0.731

7 days cutting only reduce 0.007, 0.821-0.007=0.814

I am sorry for my terrible math. I want to do daily micro cut, but can't figure

Out how. Sorry for the silly question. Thank you!

Hi, JB

I am new to this forum. I'm very interested in micro cut. But I don't understand

that if you microtapers for 7 days, and holds their dose for 3 days .from your signature

05/06 0.821

05/19 0.731

7 days cutting only reduce 0.007, 0.821-0.007=0.814

I am sorry for my terrible math. I want to do daily micro cut, but can't figure

Out how. Sorry for the silly question. Thank you!

Hi Sherry

Your question is not silly at all. I micro tapered most of my taper but sometimes I did cut and hold too. The 7/3 approach I was explaining I only did at the end of my taper when I reached 0.125mg. Prior to that when I did micro tapering I applied percentages to my cuts. So from 0.821 to 0.731 was a percentage reduction not 7 days reduce and 3 days hold at 0.001mg. I hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Very helpfull idea.

Ill keep it in mind.

Those last 0,1mg can be tricky

Did you cut/shave the pills till the end?

Or dry mix with cristaline method

Or liquid mix?

Very helpfull idea.

Ill keep it in mind.

Those last 0,1mg can be tricky

Did you cut/shave the pills till the end?

Or dry mix with cristaline method

Or liquid mix?

I did liquid.

Hi Jellybean,  I'm so hoping you are still around these days as I have been on clonazapam 35 years.  I need to go very slow as I learned that lesson 2 years ago, long story. 

I've studied til I'm more confused, but I am pretty level this a.m.  Just to keep it short as possible, I dry cut my 1 mg tablets so I was only taking 3/4 tabs.  But then I found BB, and also that Water Titration was popular for smaller amounts so I am planning that.  I have the tools (spreadsheet, Glass Jars with plastic lids, and syringes that go to 100ml).

I can't wrap my head around how much to start with, I mean, I'm starting at 3/4 mg of 1 mg which now I believe is very high cut but it was recommended I go a couple more weeks with those dry cut tablets because someone had known folks that upped to a higher dose and had trouble going back down.  I want to do the daily taper, VERY SLOW.  I'm shaking while I type this, been ready to burst into tears, afraid to do a post/or reply as I'm afraid someone will be hard on me for not getting it right. 

I've been here over a week now and when I read, it's like I miss entire words sometimes but I keep reading over again so I am trying so hard.  I don't mean to whine, I just feel it's necessary for me to explain how I'm feeling.  When I finally understand something I feel so silly that I couldn't get it before.

So now, the thing I need to decide, or just try, is where do I start my Water titration, what percent, or what you did with smaller tapers, use linear.  I don't know the diff between linear and percentage, can you believe I couldn't even get a straight answer googling :D I haven't lost my sense of humor, but I do need help figuring this out, and don't actually have to start the taper until I get my next script which is the 25th of this month.  I don't feel I should anyway since I feel so bad. 

So I look at the spreadsheet and want to set it up, but can't as I cannot figure what to start with as a First day Tapor amount.  Any I'll study any link given to me, and try to be "positive"  as I am so hoping for true healing, and quality of life even at my age.  I understand I can't change normal age things but I have many of the symptoms they are saying come with clonazepam addiction.

Mine was always 1 mg dose from doctors. I never knew a thing about it, and didn't worry about it til I tried to get off it cold turkey about 2006, and then tapered too fast in 2 years ago and had my whole left side go numb but recovered in about 3 days.  Colin's story floored me as no doctors (neuros, cardios, MDs) have found out why it happened but I know now why now.

I hope to hear from you or someone on this thread, thank you in advance for any help  :-\

Hi oregonlady

I'm happy to answer your questions and try to help, it's just right now I have a lot of personal things going on. If you don't mind hanging on for a while, I'll get back to you.  :smitten:

Hi JB,  :laugh: I bet your expression looked just like your little avatar, I know mine would have. In fact it did when I realized I'd actually bombed you with it, lol  :idiot:

I got busy and studied everything I could find on here and got things figured out.  My brain shorts out a lot and I apologize for such a "book" I typed :-[ Let's both just forget this one!  All is well here ;)

I'm cheering everyone here on, hoping and praying for our new quality of life, Denise  :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you! This is just what I was looking for. I didn't want to ask the community again because I know it has been answered many times. I am getting close to the end of my dry micro taper of .5mg clonazepam. I have been going down .001 (from .1707 weight) almost every day since mid December. There were a couple weeks where I held, but for the most part have not had too bad withdrawals (mostly trouble sleeping as I take it before bed). I am down to .041 tonight (almost a quarter of my .5mg pill), and figured I should figure out what dosage people typically "jump off" at. It has been a long road, but better than I imagined it at the beginning.  :thumbsup:

Thank you! This is just what I was looking for. I didn't want to ask the community again because I know it has been answered many times. I am getting close to the end of my dry micro taper of .5mg clonazepam. I have been going down .001 (from .1707 weight) almost every day since mid December. There were a couple weeks where I held, but for the most part have not had too bad withdrawals (mostly trouble sleeping as I take it before bed). I am down to .041 tonight (almost a quarter of my .5mg pill), and figured I should figure out what dosage people typically "jump off" at. It has been a long road, but better than I imagined it at the beginning.  :thumbsup:

I know I'm a bit late in my reply, but I'm glad it helped. You're so close to the end and it's good to hear your symptoms are manageable!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi JB!

Congratulations for reaching the finish line. Hope you continue your healing.

Just to let you know that I've been doing your taper 7/10 in the last 30 days and I have to say that it works ok so far. Before, I was averagering 0.001mg daily and the dose caught up on me and I started to have more acute symptoms (anxiety). The way I do it differs a little bit from yours. I'm using Benzoalwaysdata.com program. I just put the reduction rate Qty (0,007) and the number of days (10) and it gives me the reductions thruought the 10 days holding alternatively on both doses on those 10 days.

I would like to ask you , how was the taper during the period you use the 7/10? I know that there is not symptom free taper. And also how have you been doing so far?

This is not my  first taper. Regretably I have to go back to this poisons after 2 years off due to a suplement. I forgot what happened in the previous taper and symptoms are diferent too.

You really helped me to decide the way forward in this key dose. I'm now at 0.115 and started at 0.135mg. The later seems to be the magic number to start at.

Hopefully like you I'm gonna get to the finish line safe.

Thanks for what you do for us!

Mice

Hi Mice

Good to hear from you and congrats on your progress! When I changed to the 7/3 linear approach I didn't feel any difference in my symptoms than when I did percentage tapering the months before. That was what I was aiming for. I just didn't want my symptoms to get worse. I had very little hope my symptoms would get better as I got lower, so for symptoms to stay the same was the ultimate goal.

Here's the latest update I wrote and I'm still pretty much the same: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=277232.0

I'm glad this approach helped you to find a way forward. I really struggled to make sense of people's signatures and how they decided to taper the lower numbers other than 0.001mg per day (which was too fast for me). It would be great if others can add to this thread of what worked for them.