Propofol

[Ni...]

Anyone use this anesthesia and did okay with it? I’ve been avoiding an endoscopy for years due to sedation. The GERD is out of control regardless of diet maybe due to a hiatal hernia that I have. I’m terrified of anesthesia. Please let me know your experience. Thank you!

I've  used it twice also Niners. For an upper endoscopy and for a colonoscopy. Used it as alternative to versed. I noticed no ill effects at all . . . and I woke up a little faster than on versed. I was still on my taper. Hope this helps you

Katz

Hi.  I just had a colonoscopy this past Wednesday and did absolutely fine with Propofol.  Woke up pretty alert and enjoyed my glass of water and Graham crackers!  Actually, I also was given it last August for another minor procedure and again did fine with it.  The use of Versed (which is in the benzo family) in August of 2019 set me back horribly as I was almost healed at that time!  Now at 33 months I think I am about 85% healed!

Good luck,

GG

They gave me propofol for a colonoscopy and endoscopy..........  i always refuse any benzo like versed........I had no problems

Hi Niners.  I had the same concern because I had a nasty paradoxical reaction to Versed when I went for a knee surgery and they had to cancel the surgery.

I asked this question on this forum and here’s the thread.  I will definitely be requesting Propofol next time I need a procedure.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=269892.msg3390045#msg3390045

Reading the replies is interesting as Propofol is not recommended as it is "supposed" to do somethingto GABA. Read it in one of my Facebook benzo groups.

• 3 weeks later...
I had an endoscopy with Propofol last year.  Embarrassed myself there I was so terrified.  It was over before I knew it and I had no issues whatsoever.  All that worry for nothing!

I've had propofol three times in the last 10 years, all for colonoscopies. I have Crohn's Disease. I'm terrified of anesthesia and was scared the first time I had it, but then got used to it. It was an amazing drug and easily the best part of the procedure for me. I woke up feeling great and unusually happy. The worst part of a colonoscopy for me has been (and always will be) the prep.

• 1 month later...
In my country endoscopy is done with no general anaesthesia and to be honest while it’s unpleasant, it’s not unbearable or anything. Of course unless the patient panics, I am always somehow able to stay calm.