Benzo abusers never seem to have as many issues as those prescribed?

[No...]

Why don't the benzo abusers ever seem to suffer terrible withdrawal? They go on and off it seems no problem yet the ones prescribed suffer horrifically, is there a scientific reason for that? Something that protects the addict brain? I didn't say this was always the case and it's a simple question so don't jump me just for asking. Looking for real input.

Why don't the benzo abusers ever seem to suffer terrible withdrawal? They go on and off it seems no problem yet the ones prescribed suffer horrifically, is there a scientific reason for that? Something that protects the addict brain? I didn't say this was always the case and it's a simple question so don't jump me just for asking. Looking for real input.

Not sure there is a definitive answer to this question. But I do have some thoughts. I am not an addiction expert. I am interested in what others who have expertise in this area have to say.

I do know many sober people. And some who quit benzos. They all say benzos and alcohol are the worst of all the substances out there to stop.

I would think an addict's brain is very sensitive, as there are many dual-diagnosis addicts. I know addicts who have suffered terrible withdrawal, getting off of benzos and, in some cases, quitting benzos and other substances simultaneously. They are typically in a treatment program or 12-Step sharing their struggles and not here on BB.

The physical struggle of withdrawal seems to take a back seat to the dedication to sobriety without excuses. The treatment focuses on helping others and getting out of the self-obsession of addiction. This means a focus on being of service over the discomfort of the withdrawal symptoms. Addicts attend meetings no matter how they feel because they must stay sober and not return to compulsive drug seeking/using despite adverse consequences. It is life or death for them.

For example, I know one sober person going through alcohol withdrawal who didn't sleep for months and had all sorts of nerve pain, so when he couldn't sleep, he went to an in-person meeting. For months. In a city with severe weather too. They were encouraged to set up chairs at the meeting, make coffee, and be of service. To get out of themselves and help others. I know another person who quit Klonopin CT and went to meetings every day for nine months while withdrawing, literally drooling, and barely able to sit up. This person described sitting on the floor with a napkin under their chin. In these cases, the extreme discomfort took a back seat to sobriety no matter what.

Some people take benzos as prescribed and never have any issues, and others' lives are turned upside down. So in terms of harm done, I am not sure how one would track that data accurately.

My guess is that people who abuse benzos do not take consistent doses, so the body doesn't register a pattern. I know many people who did not abuse benzos and reinstated, and they did not stabilize until they took the same exact dose they were taking at the start of their previous taper.