Severe anxiety and agoraphobia help.

[le...]

Hi all.

I'm in need of some help please. I have been on Valium daily for over 20 years as prescribed by my Dr for anxiety. The past 9 or so years have been really bad. My Dr prescribed me Klonopin as well as Valium. That worked wonders for about a year then stopped working, so I gradually tapered off and been off Klon for over 3 years. I'm still on 10mg of Valium and too scared to taper due to the horrible experience I had tapering Klon.

I have been housebound for the past year, as in can't even open my door. I fell downstairs and dislocated my ankle. My girlfriend called the ambulance. They said that they had to take me to hospital. But the hospital is 7 miles away, I couldn't do it. So I reset it at home. I won't go into details of how I did it, but it was incredibly painful. So this shows the severity of the agoraphobia.

I am feeling lower and lower mood wise daily and now getting disturbing thoughts. I don't have any friends come over as that increases my anxiety, even seeing my own family members makes it worse. I don't know what to do to ease this anxiety?

I used to be incredibly active before the anxiety/agoraphobia, as in hardly ever at home. Always out with friends, walking my dogs for miles, playing sports etc.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Hi there,

Concerning anxiety, it isn't an easy thing to deal with...I get it! I know!

That said, bluntly (you'rea Leo, I'm sure you understand bluntly  ;D), you're going to have to start finding ways to cope with it.

One way I cope: I got myself a crystal ball for meditation. I find meditating is essential to cope with anxiety and stresses.

I'm on no medicine and haven't been in years; however, I have to deal and cope.

Here's some ways to cope with anxiety, I found very helpful:

1) NEVER fight a panic attack; I find staying calm through one is best (you only stimulate yourself more if you fight it).

2) Meditate

3) Practice mindfulness

4) Always get a good night's sleep! ALWAYS!

5) Keep stress down.

6) Eat as healthy as possible: I eat avocados, bananas, watercress,  oranges, peanuts, pomegranate and many other healthy foods.

I know my help may seem cliché,  but try these tips.

And you being on the Valium, you know sometimes the medicine IS the problem.

I hope this helps. 🙏

As far as agoraphobia,  it stems from anxiety. Once anxiety levels are leveled, it goes.

Thanks greatly for your helpful reply. It means a lot due to feeling totally stuck with this agoraphobia.

I will definitely be doing the things that you have suggested.