Naps

[...]

I have pretty severe insomnia still at 11 months off. I only sleep maybe 4 hours a night. For the longest time I was never tired or sleepy just wired up like I was drinking red bull 24 hours day. Now the sleepy feeling is back and it hits me strong in the afternoon. Ill find myself nodding off only to be jerked back awake by some random part of my body. Weird thing is these jerks only happen in the afternoon. At night when I drift off I get no jerks.

Anybody else have something like this?

Did it go away and you got your naps back?

• 2 weeks later...
[ca...]

Hi,

I can't say I have, but I did learn naps aren't helpful for sleeping. My advice would be to sleep at night.

Be well!

Naf1983

I have pretty severe insomnia still at 11 months off. I only sleep maybe 4 hours a night. For the longest time I was never tired or sleepy just wired up like I was drinking red bull 24 hours day. Now the sleepy feeling is back and it hits me strong in the afternoon. Ill find myself nodding off only to be jerked back awake by some random part of my body. Weird thing is these jerks only happen in the afternoon. At night when I drift off I get no jerks.

• 3 weeks later...

I avoid naps because of this.

Recently, I had what I thought was an early night, and I woke with cortisol.

• 4 months later...
I was able to nap during the first three mgs of  valium, but then my dr added gabapentin to help my taper and I am no longer able to nap during the day at all, even after a night of zero sleep!  The gabapentin is doing this, i think.  Although, i am tapering pretty fast while on the gpent

I have this too and it's really jarring. I feel like not being able to get proper rest is one of the most common symptoms here.

Xray, when I finished my taper off of clonazepam, I was like you and slept so very little or sometimes not at all. I would get the jerks at night when I was trying to fall asleep, but I don't remember if I had them during the day. They are long gone, now.

As time went on, I found myself falling asleep in the early evening. If that happened for only a few minutes or 15-20 minutes, I was not able to go to sleep once I went to bed. Sometimes I could drop off towards morning for an hour or so. It was not worth a few minutes of sleep or even 15-20 minutes to lie awake most of the night.

During my early days post jump, I would lie down in the early afternoon just to rest, but quite often I would sleep for an hour and wake up.  I felt so incredibly refreshed after those naps.  Usually a good afternoon nap happened after a fairly decent night of sleep. The nights I slept less, I could not nap in the afternoon.  Now I rarely fall asleep in the afternoon, but I lie down and read for just for the rest and relaxation. 

I am so far off from my last clonazepam crumbs that I assume I am healed, but I still occasionally nap.  My thoughts are I will take what sleep I can get with the exception of in the evening, before I to go bed.  I do try to stay awake then, so I can go to sleep when I retire for the night.

My thoughts are: try napping and not napping for a few days or whatever timeframe works for you and see what difference it makes in your sleep. 

Take care,

NG

I could never nap during the thick of my WD; or for at least the first 12 months.  As sleep started to return, and I could nap, I did.  It didn't mess with my sleep too much because I was never able to nap more than 10-15 minutes at a time.  At about 24 months off, I could nap for 30 - 45 minutes, sometimes longer.  Today, I can nap if I'm tired, but normally do not take naps. I average 7.5 to 8.5 hours of sleep per night now according to my FitBit. 

Experiment and see if you can nap and if you can, does it affect your nighttime sleep?

Naps are impossible. Sleep is almost impossible. 17 months and symptoms are still strong. I think I am actually going to go crazy. This is way too long for the brain to go without sleep without having negative consequences. I guess I am just one of the unlucky ones. Never thought that this would be how my final act came about.

Xray, I am sorry you are still suffering so at 17 months off. Many of us have, including myself. Like you I thought I could not last long with out sleep. I assumed my brain was damaged past the point of healing itself. I did suffer way more than I thought possible.

I am sleeping much better, but still having problems with broken sleep.  This may be the way it is.

On the plus side, benzos are no longer controlling my life.  I am free from that. 

Hang in there. 

NG 

18 months off... still rough broken messy sleep more than half of the nights and the more ok nights are still super broken...

Xray, I am sorry you are still suffering so at 17 months off. Many of us have, including myself. Like you I thought I could not last long with out sleep. I assumed my brain was damaged past the point of healing itself. I did suffer way more than I thought possible.

I am sleeping much better, but still having problems with broken sleep.  This may be the way it is.

On the plus side, benzos are no longer controlling my life.  I am free from that. 

Hang in there. 

NG

Hi nightingale, when did it get better for you?