Reduced to much

[bo...]

I just realized I reduced  around 6% twice last month I'm on a very small dose 0.08 and was reducing 3% every2 weeks , I can feel it my vestibular sxs are more pronounced, wacky vision and just no energy,  I do water reducing with liquid clonazepam how can I reduce accordingly with such a small dose?

my mix is 2.5mg of k with 24 ml of water.

feel so dizzy and off :(

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [bo...]

• [Li...]

• [Pa...]

• [Ju...]

Hello, bonty.  Have you considered making smaller batches of a less concentrated liquid?  Your current homebrew liquid has a concentration in the range of 0.104mg/mL.  A liquid with a concentration in the range of 0.01mg/mL would make measuring small doses easier and more reliable. Making/using smaller batches would reduce the risk of the liquid losing potency/strength over time due to instability.

Now I’m confused! :)

Are you making the liquid yourself or is a compounding pharmacist making it for you?

You indicated your “mix” was 2.5mg of clonazepam in 24mL of water. Are there other ingredients? If so, what ingredient(s) in what amount(s)?

UPDATE:

Mystery solved ...  I just looked through your old posts. Am I correct that you are using the commercial 2.5mg/mL oral solution of clonazepam/Rivotril as your drug source?  If so and you are mixing 1mL of the solution (or 2.5mg of clonazepam) in 24mLs of water, then the resulting liquid has a concentration of 2.5mg/25mL = 0.1mg/mL.

AS you can see in the message it indicates  2.5mg in 24ml of water  was this a mistake?

I live in a different country so was very tired yesterday, please tell me if I should  do this with 25ml of water. Yes I do my own mixture.

thank you,

Bonty

It’s ok.  You didn’t make a mistake.  The homebrew “mix” you are making has a total volume of 25mLs because you are adding 1mL of the commercial oral solution to 24mLs of water — 1 plus 24 equals 25.  (You did not specify the drug source in your initial post so I assumed it was regular tablets — the Rivotril oral solution you are using is not available in the United States where most of our members are based so the number of members who have used/are using it is limited.)

One mL of the oral solution contains 2.5mg of clonazepam.  So, the concentration of your liquid is 2.5mg divided by 25mL or 0.1 mg/mL.  Given that “they” said the concentration of your liquid is 0.01mg/mL, let’s double-check the amount of your current total daily dose. To do so, we need more information from you:

1) What device do you use to measure your doses? A 1mL oral syringe with 100 gradations?

2) How many doses do you take each day? At what times?

3) For each of the above doses, how many milliliters (mLs) of your “mix” do you ingest?

I use A 1mL oral syringe with 100 gradations

and only dose at night and  take 0.08ml

I don't do daily reductions  and realized I reduced 1% every month for some time

it caught up with me.

Do you wish to continue using the same “mix” to finish your taper?  Reducing your dose from 0.08mL to 0.07mL would be a 12.5% decrease. 

Holding for a brief period to see if you stabilize is a sound strategy.  If you wish to make a smaller percent reduction in dose after that, I suggest you consider making your liquid less concentrated (e.g. 0.01mg/mL).

You are most welcome, bonty.  I’ll try to keep an eye on this thread, but if I miss your post, shoot me a PM to let me know it’s there. 

In addition to making your liquid less concentrated, I also suggest making/using smaller batches.  Why?  We do not know how long these commercial oral solutions remain stable after they have been diluted.  The drug information pamphlets I’ve read indicate that, although it’s ok to dilute them before ingestion to improve palatability, the diluted mixtures should be used immediately, not stored for later use.

Can I ask you, my starting dose was 0.5  with the syringe I used  1.5 ml  correct? I can't remember and had my starting dates on an old phone  and the calender was deleted. can you also explain to me how I can do the small batches?

I'm a bit worried that I was reducing so much without knowing. oh well no medical help just me : )

Can I ask you, my starting dose was 0.5  with the syringe I used  1.5 ml  correct? I can't remember and had my starting dates on an old phone  and the calender was deleted.

Were you using your 0.1mg/mL mix?  If so, then 1.5mL of that mix would be 0.15mg of clonazepam.  (You would need to ingest 5mL of your mix to get 0.5mg of drug.)

can you also explain to me how I can do the small batches?

Do you foresee issues with getting the Rivotril oral solution as long as you need it?  If not, one option would be to keep using the “recipe” you have been using (at least while you’re holding) but discard any unused mix after 3-5 days and make a fresh batch.

If/when you decide to make a mix with a lower concentration, we can discuss “recipes” that use smaller amounts of the Rivotril as well as strategies to mitigate risk related to drug instability. For example, we have two members who make a 0.001mg/mL Rivotril/water mixture on a daily basis.  They measure one drop of the Rivotril oral solution (0.1mg of clonazepam) using the calibrated dropper that is supplied with the medication.  They then add the drop to 100mLs of distilled or purified water and mix.

I'm a bit worried that I was reducing so much without knowing. oh well no medical help just me : )

Many of our members struggle with measurement and math while tapering. Have you considered finding someone in the real world who could assist you with such matters for the remainder of your taper?  Perhaps your pharmacist? A family member or friend who is mathematically inclined and knows how to use measuring devices such as syringes and graduated cylinders?

yes I can get rivotril always, someone can help me. I don't remember taking 5ml always there was a point I only used the 1ml syringe, I'm worried now  I screwed up maybe. I wonder if I should up dose

Thank you for sharing the good news that you do not anticipate supply issues with the Rivotril and you have someone who can help you with math and measurements moving forward.  Having a real world “helper” should lessen some of the (completely understandable) anxiety you are experiencing about making and measuring your Rivotril/water mix.

If your withdrawal symptoms aren’t getting worse and are tolerable, then I suggest you follow your own advice and hold at your current dose of 0.08mL of your liquid mix (or 0.008mg of clonazepam).  I also suggest you keep a daily journal that describes how you are feeling as well as any health issues or life events that might impact your status.

If your last reduction was from 0.09mL to 0.08mL of your mix, you made a 11.11% decrease in dose.  Although it’s on the high-side of the suggested range of 5-10%, it’s not outrageously high so odds are you will adapt to it in time.  However, given your response to this reduction, I hope you will consider adjusting your taper rate as well as making/using a less concentrated Rivotril/water mixture for the remainder of your taper so you can make smaller reductions in dose.

unfortunately I have been reducing for some time the same, exp. 0.1...0.95...0.09...0.85...0.80  between 1-2% more each time  I thought I was always reducing 3% and I have been decreasing

by sept-oct it was 5% and nov 6% .

Now I feel drunk, high, nauseous and my vision and coordination is off, feel anxious bc of it. I have to make arrangements for help or hope for stability soon.

When you reduce your dose by a fixed amount, the percent of the reduction increases as your dose decreases. For example:

Reducing 0.1mL from 0.9mL to 0.8mL is a 11.11% reduction.

Reducing 0.1mL from 0.3mL to 0.2mL is a 33.33% reduction.

As a double-check, when you measure you current dose ...

Are you measuring to the 0.08 mark on your syringe or the 0.8 mark?

I go to 0.8

I’m glad I double-checked.  You indicated 0.08 in your earlier posts.  If you are using a 0.1mg/mL mix and measuring to the 0.8mL mark on your 1mL syringe, your current dose is 0.08mg of clonazepam.