Two Years Off Benzos

[Gr...]

Two years ago today, I took my last itsy bitsy piece of klonopin, ever.  My taper was long, and hard.  The first few months after finishing my taper were still pretty hard.  But then the windows started getting better, and better.  I still have a bunch of issues, but they are nothing compared to the agony and pain I was in during my taper, and my first year off. 

First, the bad news.  Things that are still bothering me:

-Muscle aches.  Though, they do not hurt as much, and no longer keep me up at night in pain.  I have found massage therapy so helpful for my shoulder and neck pain. 

-Jaw clenching and teeth grinding at night.  This one went away in March, and came back in September.  So I have a lot of hope that this will go away again.

-Stomach issues - Still have stomach upset, and gas, but it is not constant, and not as bad as it was.

And now, the good news.  Things that are no longer bothering me: 

-DP/DR -gone

-Rage/Anger.  I still get angry at times, but it's nothing like it was.  I can calm down like a normal person and not be angry for hours.

Intrusive thoughts- gone

Anxiety - mostly gone, if I do get some, I do some breathing and mindfulness and have had great success with that.

Migraines- pretty much gone.  I used to get them once or twice a month, I have had about two in the last six months.

Noise sensitivity- it's so much better.  I still need no noise to concentrate or read(and yes I can read now too), but it's not painful like it once was.

Irritability- gone.  I'm so much happier now. 

Painful flulike waves- My waves used to be like a flu.  All my muscles would hurt, and my stomach would be upset and I would throw up and not be able to eat or drink anything but

water for a while, sometimes hours, sometimes more than a day.  Now my waves are just less of everything.  They are actually just similar but each thing is not as bad or pronounced. 

In general, I am just feeling so much better and happier.  My cognition is starting to come back too.  I think my brain is still healing, and I look forward to each improvement.  Oh and I can eat sweet things again, though I still have to be careful and not eat too much sugar, I can have things in moderation now.

Congrats and giving the hope again that it can get better with passage of time :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I am 8 mons off after 20yrs on 1mg benzo and overall I think it better then what it was 2-3 mons back ..and hoping for more recovery in next few mons :)

wow thats great! two years is an accomplishment! I am at 19 months. I think we heal with time.

Keep up with what you are doing, stay busy and take care of yourself.

J

I am 2 years and three months off benzos.  I was a long term user, 2001 to 2016 then tapered.  Tried to quit in 2008, reinstated after bad DP and DR.

I am very discouraged.  I had a bad wave this summer, 10 days of insomnia, terrible symptoms where I would stutter and them not be able to talk.  Them, it was followed by a GREAT window.  I had a lot of energy.  l did some decorating and improvements around the house, visiting family and old friends.  Now, I regressed back to where I was for the last several weeks.  I stay in bed or on the couch just watching TV or listening to audiobooks.  I have tinnitus, stomach upset, chills, and anxiety.  I have very negative thoughts.  I am so discouraged.  I really thought I was getting better, and able to put it all behind me and enjoy the rest of my life now. I am glad you are doing better, I just wish I was too.

Congrats :thumbsup: it is so encouraging to read about instances where the DP DR lessens. Mine came on 2 years ago and hasn’t left for even a moment since. I just jumped off klonopin 3 days ago.. very happy to hear you’re doing better  :)

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

How are you doing now ?

I'm doing really well. My life will forever be affected by taking benzos, but I am not in withdrawal anymore.  I don't have an anxiety disorder at all anymore either!  I still have some issues with some muscle pain.  I have gone on an autoimmune diet and found a lot of relief from all my remaining/lingering symptoms after benzo withdrawal.  I got psoriasis during benzo withdrawal and that's why I even considered the diet, but it seems to have made my migraines go away, and also given me more energy and made my sleep more restful.  I wonder if I had done it during withdrawal, if it might have made some symptoms less.  ???

For the most part I am completely healed now.  I don't have issues with anger or irritability, anymore.  I feel like my emotional responses are appropriate for what is going on in my life, finally.  I feel like a different person, on the other side of this.  It's like a whole second chance at life and actually pretty exciting.  :)

• 4 weeks later...