Should home made liquid from pills be refrigerated?

[jo...]

I am sure this question has been asked before.  After dissolving pills into liquid, should it be refrigerated or left at room temperature for best results?  Does either way have any effect on the medication, good or bad?

Thanks to all who reply  :smitten:

I would think that it depends on the liquid.

Milk, I would think would need to be refrigerated.

You don't need to refrigerate water mixes.  I have not been refrigerating my liquid valium/water mix and it has been fine.

I would think that it depends on the liquid.

Milk, I would think would need to be refrigerated.

You don't need to refrigerate water mixes.  I have not been refrigerating my liquid valium/water mix and it has been fine.

Thanks confuseduser, I should have been more specific.

I use a vodka and water combination for my solution which is for Valium.  I have mixed feelings about the vodka, but I can't stand the taste of milk everyday.  I was just wondering if refrigeration has any effect on the potency of of the medication mixture solution? 

Also, is there a certain amount of time the pill or pills should dissolve in the vodka before adding the water?

I appreciate any other thoughts on the subject.

JoJo

benzos lose potency in heat..so if your room temperature is warmer than usual (summertime or in heated rooms) then maybe refrigerate to slow down the degradation.

In general, lower temperatures make chemical reactions (like drug degradation) go slower.

At the same time, lower temperature often (but not always) can lower the solubility of a chemical in a solvent.

My guess is, it probably doesn't matter.

I keep my xanax solution at room temperature, for what it's worth.

I am sure this question has been asked before.  After dissolving pills into liquid, should it be refrigerated or left at room temperature for best results?  Does either way have any effect on the medication, good or bad?

Thanks to all who reply  :smitten:

I found this storage information for Diazepam Intensol Oral Concentrate:

• Store at room temperature.
  • Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
  • Protect from light.
  • Throw away any part not used after 3 months.

I guess it's similar for a liquid made at home. Although it should be discarded every second day, probably.

benzos lose potency in heat..

Citation please. 

Your statement is false.

no, my statement is not false. quit acting like such a know-it-all builder.

Prehospital stability of diazepam and lorazepam.

Gottwald MD1, Akers LC, Liu PK, Orsulak PJ, Corry MD, Bacchetti P, Fields SM, Lowenstein DH, Alldredge BK.

Author information

Abstract

Injectable benzodiazepines are commonly stocked on ambulances for use by paramedics. We evaluated the stability of lorazepam and diazepam as a function of storage temperature. Diazepam (5 mg/mL) and lorazepam (2 mg/mL) injectable solutions were stored for up to 210 days in clear glass syringes at three conditions: 4 degrees C to 10 degrees C (refrigerated); 15 degrees C to 30 degrees C (on-ambulance ambient temperature); and 37 degrees C (oven-heated). High-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) analyses of syringe contents were performed at 30-day intervals. After 210 days, the reduction in diazepam concentration was 7% refrigerated, 15% at ambient temperature, and 25% at 37 degrees C. The reduction in lorazepam concentration was 0% refrigerated, 10% at ambient temperature, and 75% at 37 degrees C. Whereas diazepam retained 90% of its original concentration for 30 days of on-ambulance storage, lorazepam retained 90% of its original concentration for 150 days. The decrease in lorazepam concentration correlated with an increase in the maximum ambient temperature in San Francisco. These results suggest that diazepam and lorazepam can be stored on ambulances. When ambient storage temperatures are 30 degrees C or less, ambulances carrying lorazepam and diazepam should be restocked every 30 to 60 days. When drug storage temperatures exceed 30 degrees C, more frequent stocking or refrigeration is required.

stability of diazapam and lorazapam

A home is not a laboratory and conditions can vary in terms of temperature, humidity and light.  We do not know if the solution/suspension will retain it's original potency under these conditions.

It appears that the study cited by nomoredrugsforme indicates that heat does affect the potency of both diazepam and lorazepam.  If someone has other studies that offer more information or offer a contrary result, you are welcome to post them here.

If I were tapering making a homemade solution, I would definitely want to know if heat would be a factor in the potency of the benzo I was titrating. If you feel that the temperature where you store your liquid is not variable or too hot, I would suppose that keeping it at room temperature would be ok. Again, we can't speak to absolutes about this since the conditions at home are not and can not be the same as a controlled laboratory.

pianogirl

Gottwald MD1, Akers LC, Liu PK, Orsulak PJ, Corry MD, Bacchetti P, Fields SM, Lowenstein DH, Alldredge BK.

Author information

Abstract

Injectable benzodiazepines are commonly stocked on ambulances for use by paramedics. We evaluated the stability of lorazepam and diazepam as a function of storage temperature. Diazepam (5 mg/mL) and lorazepam (2 mg/mL) injectable solutions were stored for up to 210 days in clear glass syringes at three conditions: 4 degrees C to 10 degrees C (refrigerated); 15 degrees C to 30 degrees C (on-ambulance ambient temperature); and 37 degrees C (oven-heated). High-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) analyses of syringe contents were performed at 30-day intervals. After 210 days, the reduction in diazepam concentration was 7% refrigerated, 15% at ambient temperature, and 25% at 37 degrees C. The reduction in lorazepam concentration was 0% refrigerated, 10% at ambient temperature, and 75% at 37 degrees C. Whereas diazepam retained 90% of its original concentration for 30 days of on-ambulance storage, lorazepam retained 90% of its original concentration for 150 days. The decrease in lorazepam concentration correlated with an increase in the maximum ambient temperature in San Francisco. These results suggest that diazepam and lorazepam can be stored on ambulances. When ambient storage temperatures are 30 degrees C or less, ambulances carrying lorazepam and diazepam should be restocked every 30 to 60 days. When drug storage temperatures exceed 30 degrees C, more frequent stocking or refrigeration is required.

That study show changes in concentration.  It's the varying effects of evaporation.  (And actually, a more concentrated liquid would INCREASE its intensity,  more mgs of active ingredient5 per ml of liquid.

Author information

Abstract

That study show changes in concentration.  It's the varying effects of evaporation.  (And actually, a more concentrated liquid would INCREASE its intensity,  more mgs of active ingredient5 per ml of liquid.

reread the parts bolded by me in red. heat alters the benzo in a liquid preparation as the OP was concerned about with refrigeration vs room temp storage.  so yeah, my suggestion to consider refrigeration if her room temp is warmer than normal was and still is valid.

Author information

Abstract

No, the amount of drug is reduced. The change is the result of degradation. A change in concentration due to evaporation would cause the concentration of the drug to increase, not decrease.

It sounds like I should just keep a small 5 day supply in the fridge.  At least it taste a little better chilled.

But how about my other question concerning how long the pill or pills should dissolve in the vodka before adding water? :)

Thanks for everyone's input.

JoJo

Author information

Abstract

reread the parts bolded by me in red. heat alters the benzo in a liquid preparation as the OP was concerned about with refrigeration vs room temp storage.  so yeah, my suggestion to consider refrigeration if her room temp is warmer than normal was and still is valid.

Quote from: builder on November 05, 2019, 02:13:39 am

Quote from: nomoredrugsforme on November 05, 2019, 12:19:17 am

Author information

Abstract

No, the amount of drug is reduced. The change is the result of degradation. A change in concentration due to evaporation would cause the concentration of the drug to increase, not decrease.

:thumbsup:

Posted by: jojodancer

« on: November 05, 2019, 02:52:28 pm »

Insert Quote

It sounds like I should just keep a small 5 day supply in the fridge.  At least it taste a little better chilled.

But how about my other question concerning how long the pill or pills should dissolve in the vodka before adding water?

Thanks for everyone's input.

JoJo

It tends to vary between manufactures. Let it sit 15 or 20 minutes or until you see it had broken down.

Hello, jojodancer.

Apologies if you’ve answered this elsewhere, but is using a prescription oral solution of diazepam a possibility - perhaps in combination with regular tablets until you get lower in dose?  I ask because prescription oral solutions (like prescription tablets) have been tested for safety, efficacy, potency, stability, storage requirements including temperature range, etc.

Link provided thus far was for injectable forms of Diazepam & Lorazepam, which are not to be used outside of hospital or via EMT emergencies. An ambulance setting is quite different than ones home environment, keep that in mind.

http://temptimecorp.com/2018/03/23/usp-chapter-1079-ems-accreditation-need-know/

How You Can Ensure Compliance with Accreditation Standards

In general terms, the standards do not specifically define extreme temperatures, which is why it’s important to understand the guidelines outlined in USP Chapter 659 and what is considered extreme temperatures.

Temperature Ranges According to USP Chapter 659

Frozen Between -25o and -10oC (-13 and 14oF)

Refrigerated Between 2o and 8oC (36 and 46oF)

Controlled Room Temperature Between 20o and 25oC (68 and 77oF) with allowable excursions [see Good Storage and Distribution Practices for Drug Products (1079)]

Warm Between 30o and 40oC (86 and 104oF)

Excessive Heat Any temperature above 40oC (104oF)

Source: USP Chapter 659 Packaging and Storage Requirements

It also means EMS providers need to have processes in place that reliably monitor temperature. An electronic monitoring device that records temperature throughout storage is the preferred method for determining if medications or IV fluids and blood product have been exposed to extreme temperatures.

Information below on ingredients for injectable, oral and intensol D & L:

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/fda/fdaDrugXsl.cfm?setid=7e7dd743-a87b-4ab3-b6ae-f116cd0c8b0f&type=display

Diazepam Injection, USP is a sterile, nonpyrogenic solution intended for intramuscular or intravenous administration. Each milliliter (mL) contains 5 mg diazepam; 40% propylene glycol; 10% alcohol; 5% sodium benzoate and benzoic acid added as buffers; and 1.5% benzyl alcohol added as a preservative.

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/fda/fdaDrugXsl.cfm?setid=b8cb8fe7-3744-41fa-8981-05a7fa8a2ec3

Each mL of Diazepam Oral Solution (Concentrate) contains: diazepam USP …...…. 5 mg

Diazepam Oral Solution - Inactive Ingredients: polyethylene glycol, propylene glycol, noncrystallizing sorbitol solution, sodium citrate anhydrous, bitterness modifier flavor, anhydrous citric acid, peppermint flavor, mint flavor, FD&C Red No. 40 aluminum lake, D&C Yellow No. 10 aluminum lake, and purified water.

Diazepam Oral Solution (Concentrate) - Inactive Ingredients: polyethylene glycol, propylene glycol, alcohol (19%), D&C Yellow No. 10 aluminum lake, succinic acid, and purified water.

Lorazepam Injection

https://www.drugs.com/pro/lorazepam-injection.html

Lorazepam is a nearly white powder almost insoluble in water. Each mL of sterile injection contains 2.0 mg of lorazepam, 0.18 mL polyethylene glycol 400 in propylene glycol with 2.0% benzyl alcohol as preservative.

https://www.drugs.com/pro/lorazepam-intensol.html

Each mL of Intensol™ for oral administration contains:

lorazepam  2 mg

Inactive Ingredients

Lorazepam Intensol contains: polyethylene glycol and propylene glycol.

The need for citations to this or that, when quite frankly, .1% of members remotely understand them is the new norm here. That's good though, I will provide just a few of many citations that regarding the inaccuracy of pill splitting, which is what the Ashton method/manual freely expresses:

From the Ashton manual PDF:

Diazepam (Valium) is the only benzodiazepine that is ideal for this purpose since it

comes in 2mg tablets, which are scored down the middle and easily halved into 1 mg doses. By

contrast, the smallest available tablet of lorazepam (Ativan) is 0.5mg (equivalent to 5mg

diazepam) [in the UK the lowest available dosage form for lorazepam is 1mg]; the smallest

tablet of alprazolam (Xanax) is 0.25mg (also equivalent to 5mg diazepam). Even by halving

these tablets the smallest reduction one could easily make is the equivalent of 2.5mg diazepam.

(Some patients become very adept at shaving small portions off their tablets).

Pill splitting inaccuracy links:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110105071143.htm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25473334

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/news/fda-takes-on-unsafe-pill-splitting

https://consumermedsafety.org/medication-safety-articles/item/245-tablet-splitting-when-two-halves-dont-equal-a-whole

http://downloads.lww.com/wolterskluwer_vitalstream_com/journal_library/nie_15445186_2011_9_5_18.pdf

People will choose whatever method they want to use to taper, more power to you and we each have our preferred method. I know I need to be accurate in my taper, so I chose a taper method that made sense to me and that I believe to be accurate and provides less symptoms and life remains functional allowing. I expect no PWS once I reach 0 mg's. 

This board has and will always promote Ashton as the go to for tapering, that is the right of BB to do so. I don't agree with that and I need no one else to agree with my lack of enthusiasm towards that taper method. People are free to choose their taper and then free to complain about their symptoms during and after their taper.

Good luck to all and good-bye to this variable shit show of a forum.

Hello, jojodancer.

Apologies if you’ve answered this elsewhere, but is using a prescription oral solution of diazepam a possibility - perhaps in combination with regular tablets until you get lower in dose?  I ask because prescription oral solutions (like prescription tablets) have been tested for safety, efficacy, potency, stability, storage requirements including temperature range, etc.

I don't know, but I will discuss this option with my doctor.  Thanks for the suggestion. :smitten:

Posted by: Gerbera

« on: November 05, 2019, 03:07:19 pm »

People will choose whatever method they want to use to taper, more power to you and we each have our preferred method. I know I need to be accurate in my taper, so I chose a taper method that made sense to me and that I believe to be accurate and provides less symptoms and life remains functional allowing. I expect no PWS once I reach 0 mg's. 

This board has and will always promote Ashton as the go to for tapering, that is the right of BB to do so. I don't agree with that and I need no one else to agree with my lack of enthusiasm towards that taper method. People are free to choose their taper and then free to complain about their symptoms during and after their taper.

Good luck with that and good riddance to you :)

Same.

Same.

Enough of this, you are disrupting the thread, the OP is trying to get honest, reliable information. The disagreement, squabble, whatever you wish to call it, is inappropriate for the forum.

Any more comments like these will result in sanctions.

pianogirl

Same.

Enough of this, you are disrupting the thread, the OP is trying to get honest, reliable information. The disagreement, squabble, whatever you wish to call it, is inappropriate for the forum.

pianogirl

I don't know who you were addressing and quite frankly, your idle threats are meaningless. You can see that I have requested deletion from the forum:

26057 Delete account Pamster 3 General November 04, 2019, 07:02:46 pm

Make it effective now. I am done here.

Same.

pianogirl

I don't know who you were addressing and quite frankly, your idle threats are meaningless. You can see that I have requested deletion from the forum:

26057 Delete account Pamster 3 General November 04, 2019, 07:02:46 pm

Make it effective now. I am done here.

This is not the place for this communication however we'll proceed with the account deletion.

Author information

Abstract

thank you HopeToDoThis.  it's kind of maddening to be constantly told one's facts are wrong, especially on this forum where we are trying to help each other, ESPECIALLY the OP here who just wants to know the safest way to store her liquid benzo preparation. i find the names people chose for their usernames are interestingly revealing at times of their outlook on this process. your username reveals a positive hopeful outlook and cautious determination. that's what we need more of here! and i appreciate the backup of facts and studies...lol, whether they back up my facts and studies or not! it's more important to me, to have the facts, than to be "right". also, thanks to Gudruna for digging up citations, and to others here who have patiently presented facts despite the train going off the tracks.  :)