Long Term Success-7 years off Klonopin and Life is Wonderful

[se...]

Hello,

It's been a very long time since I quit benzos. In December, it will be 7 years. I wanted to pop in and give an update and some encouragement.

First of all, YOU CAN DO THIS. It's so hard, but you can do it. It took me almost 8 years to taper from 4 mg Klonopin. But here I am. Benzo free with nearly all the effects far in the past.

I was given Xanax in 1994 for anxiety, panic attacks, and agoraphobia. I was managing them fine at the time, but was in nursing school and thought maybe there was a better way to manage. There wasn't. It was a devastating mistake on my part. The first time I took a Xanax, I got in a head on collision with another car after I ran a stop light I just didn't see. I stayed on long enough that I had crippling anxiety when I tried to go off.

Long story short, my life fell apart entirely. I became totally housebound agoraphobic for years and years. There were actually times I counted how long it had been since I was out of my house in the number of years. I started tapering in early 2003. I finally finished 8 years later. I made a lot of mistakes, but even without those it would have taken at least a good few years to get off. In the end, I was water titrating. It was SO hard. I never gave up, even though I went back up and then down again. I'm SO happy to be off them.

Today, I work full time, write and am a published author and photographer, travel regularly, and cannot remember the last time I spent even one entire day at home. I still have anxiety and even agoraphobia, and probably always will. But I manage those conditions through diet (gluten free & vegan) and exercise (lots and lots). I take no medication at all and feel better today than ever in most regards.

I worry about cognitive damage, and get online to take IQ and memory tests every so often. I don't seem to have any significant last effects, although I do think I'm slightly less quick and my short term memory isn't quite as good. But it's not significant.

I started benzos just before my 30th birthday. I finally got off them at 47. i wasted my youth on this poison. It's the biggest regret of my entire life. I hope this never happens to anyone else.

Now, at 54. I'm healthy, happy, super busy, and looking forward to lots of good things in my life. My sister died suddenly a couple years ago, and it was devastating, but I survived and then recovered ... totally without drugs. Good vegan food, plenty of water, and lots of yoga/cardio/strength training are my drugs.

There IS life after benzos and it's awesome. Whoever you are, I wish you all the best.

Much love and healing ... YOU can do it.  :thumbsup:

S

Awesome post! So glad to come across stories like this one. I've been at this for over 4.5 years since jumping off my last dose and thinking the symptoms won't end (particularly during waves). I am getting closer though, I can feel it deep within. The whole agoraphobia ordeal drags me down and makes me feel so alone. I know it will pass in time. Thanks for coming back and giving some of us "old-timers" a reminder that this will end sometime. 8) Enjoy your freedom!!

This is a wonderful story of resilience, persistence, and never-ending patience and belief in the future and in yourself. CONGRATULATIONS!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

May you live long and free!!!  :smitten:

• 1 month later...

Agoraphobia is one of my biggest problems. Much worse since my setback in Nov. 2016 anyhow.

Maybe this thread should be moved into "Success Stories"...?

Whatever, I'm bumping it anyway.

Hello,

It's been a very long time since I quit benzos. In December, it will be 7 years. I wanted to pop in and give an update and some encouragement.

First of all, YOU CAN DO THIS. It's so hard, but you can do it. It took me almost 8 years to taper from 4 mg Klonopin. But here I am. Benzo free with nearly all the effects far in the past.

I was given Xanax in 1994 for anxiety, panic attacks, and agoraphobia. I was managing them fine at the time, but was in nursing school and thought maybe there was a better way to manage. There wasn't. It was a devastating mistake on my part. The first time I took a Xanax, I got in a head on collision with another car after I ran a stop light I just didn't see. I stayed on long enough that I had crippling anxiety when I tried to go off.

Long story short, my life fell apart entirely. I became totally housebound agoraphobic for years and years. There were actually times I counted how long it had been since I was out of my house in the number of years. I started tapering in early 2003. I finally finished 8 years later. I made a lot of mistakes, but even without those it would have taken at least a good few years to get off. In the end, I was water titrating. It was SO hard. I never gave up, even though I went back up and then down again. I'm SO happy to be off them.

Today, I work full time, write and am a published author and photographer, travel regularly, and cannot remember the last time I spent even one entire day at home. I still have anxiety and even agoraphobia, and probably always will. But I manage those conditions through diet (gluten free & vegan) and exercise (lots and lots). I take no medication at all and feel better today than ever in most regards.

I worry about cognitive damage, and get online to take IQ and memory tests every so often. I don't seem to have any significant last effects, although I do think I'm slightly less quick and my short term memory isn't quite as good. But it's not significant.

I started benzos just before my 30th birthday. I finally got off them at 47. i wasted my youth on this poison. It's the biggest regret of my entire life. I hope this never happens to anyone else.

Now, at 54. I'm healthy, happy, super busy, and looking forward to lots of good things in my life. My sister died suddenly a couple years ago, and it was devastating, but I survived and then recovered ... totally without drugs. Good vegan food, plenty of water, and lots of yoga/cardio/strength training are my drugs.

There IS life after benzos and it's awesome. Whoever you are, I wish you all the best.

Much love and healing ... YOU can do it.  :thumbsup:

S

THANK YOU !!! From the bottom of my heart THANK YOU! you don’t know how much it means to hear someone who had panic, anxiety and agoraphobia come back with a happy story. I’m 52 and been on mostly since 1993. I feel no hope for my life.

Most of the success stories seem to be from people who had nsomnia or muscle spasms or non mental health issues ( which I’m not in any way lessening the impact of) it’s just wonderful to see someone with a story that started like mine.  I’m so sorry for the loss of your sister. I am very close to mine.

All the best !

This is a wonderful success story...thank you!!

I think there are many of us who take a long while to heal...but we do!

With gratitude,

Carita :smitten:

Agoraphobia is one of my biggest problems. Much worse since my setback in Nov. 2016 anyhow.

Maybe this thread should be moved into "Success Stories"...?

Whatever, I'm bumping it anyway.

:) This is a good idea.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience.  I am 47 years old and just about to finish my taper.  Your post has given me so much hope.  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks so much for sharing your experience.  I am 47 years old and just about to finish my taper.  Your post has given me so much hope.  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Greencup you tapered by .001 ..... that’s what I’m doing....how are you doing since last dose ever ?

Greencup you tapered by .001 ..... that’s what I’m doing....how are you doing since last dose ever ?

So far so good.  I pretty much feel the same I did during my last month of tapering.  It's not great, but it's not the worst either.  Good luck offandon!  :thumbsup:

So far so good.  I pretty much feel the same I did during my last month of tapering.  It's not great, but it's not the worst either.  Good luck offandon!  :thumbsup:

Greencup I’m so happy for you !  :thumbsup: I hope its all better and better  :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

This is one of my favorite success stories here on BB. Lets me know I'm not alone with a bad case of agoraphobia.

This Christmas I'll be 5 years off Xanax. Zero windows since then.

In a nasty wave but something deep inside tells me I'll make it out somehow, someday.

Bumping this again for the well seasoned veterans here, such as myself.

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Its all about HOPE!

I am just past 16 months, I was doing well I thought until the w/d effects hit me again. I have felt better the last week. The bad part as the original author says, you have to put your life back together after years wasted. I was on this crap for over 15 years, I dont remember. I too wrecked a car, lost jobs, lost my wife, my kids...my respect. But on good days, I get up dust myself off and move forward. Its all you can do. The past is the past, time to move forward and live in the future.....

I had to say this as its therapeutic....

God Bless all of those on this journey!

THERE IS HOPE!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just another quick update because I think it's s important to know this can be overcome.

I'm now at just over 11 years off benzos and am doing so well. My agoraphobia got so bad while on benzos and while tapering that sometimes I couldn't go from one room to the next. I'm not 100% free of agoraphobia (I did have it before benzos, too) but it's an inconvenience. I drive an hour alone to see my daughter and grandkids once or twice a week, work, travel with my husband, and do all sorts of things I never thought I would do again when I was on these horrible drugs.

Stick with your taper. No matter where you're at, you can do this and life will be good again. I promise.

Wishing you all success, health, and happiness.

:smitten::D

Just another quick update because I think it's s important to know this can be overcome.

I'm now at just over 11 years off benzos and am doing so well. My agoraphobia got so bad while on benzos and while tapering that sometimes I couldn't go from one room to the next. I'm not 100% free of agoraphobia (I did have it before benzos, too) but it's an inconvenience. I drive an hour alone to see my daughter and grandkids once or twice a week, work, travel with my husband, and do all sorts of things I never thought I would do again when I was on these horrible drugs.

Stick with your taper. No matter where you're at, you can do this and life will be good again. I promise.

Wishing you all success, health, and happiness.

:smitten::D

I just want to say that I really relate to your story. I too am in the nursing field, and I too started xanax and became agoraphobic. Your success is an inspiration to me and I am grateful for your post.