All better!

[jb...]

I took my last dose of Ativan on March 5, 2009.  It was a rough month or so afterward, but recovery came quickly after that.  By June I was completely healed and still am, so I wanted to encourage all of you to keep on keeping on.  Its worth it to be off of them, and if I can do it, anyone can.  I'm going through a rough patch of anxiety right now from something completely different and am coping without a benzo.  I wish sometimes that I could take one to relieve the anxiety when it gets high, but the memory of what I had to go through to get off of them outweighs the desire for quick relief. 

I wish you all success and thank you for all the help you were to me when I was struggling to be free of this drug.  Thank you all so very much!!!

• Like 1

Hi Jane,  :)

Thanks so much for the update!! I'm so glad to hear you are coping with any anxiety that crops up, let us know what techniques you are using.

T2 :smitten:

Thank you for sharing that. I am still tapering and love to hear from those that have come off and how their lives have become so much better! Yay!

I am so happy for you and hope you continue to do well!  :yippee:

T2, I don't always cope well, but some things I do are often helpful.  Distraction is my most successful trick.  Reading, doing word puzzles, anything that takes my attention away from the anxiety.  If I wake up at night with panic, I immediately try to switch from my illogical, anxious right brain to my logical calmer left brain by solving a long multiplication problem - 10 random digits times 10 random digits.  I don't stop until its completely finished. 

Of course, good breathing is essential as well.  In for 7, hold for 5, out for 8.

Claire Weekes has good information in Hope and Help for Your Nerves.  I listen to her CD in my car if I have to go somewhere and am feeling anxious.  I've just started reading Albert Ellis Feeling Better, Getting Better, Staying Better.  I'm hoping to get more help there.  I'll do just about anything to NOT take another benzo!

For panic, an ice pack under the arm seems to help as well.

I hope some of this helps and I wish you all success!

T2, I don't always cope well, but some things I do are often helpful.  Distraction is my most successful trick.  Reading, doing word puzzles, anything that takes my attention away from the anxiety.  If I wake up at night with panic, I immediately try to switch from my illogical, anxious right brain to my logical calmer left brain by solving a long multiplication problem - 10 random digits times 10 random digits.  I don't stop until its completely finished. 

Of course, good breathing is essential as well.  In for 7, hold for 5, out for 8.

Claire Weekes has good information in Hope and Help for Your Nerves.  I listen to her CD in my car if I have to go somewhere and am feeling anxious.  I've just started reading Albert Ellis Feeling Better, Getting Better, Staying Better.  I'm hoping to get more help there.  I'll do just about anything to NOT take another benzo!

For panic, an ice pack under the arm seems to help as well.

I hope some of this helps and I wish you all success!

Thanks so much for sharing some of your techniques!! :thumbsup:

I love Claire Weekes! She got me thru some tough nights.

Congratulations and thank you for coming back to post your story.

BTW, your quit date was my birthday.  :yippee:

Hi Jbyrd975, congrats on being benzo free.

Do you by chance happen to post on the Yahoo Fluoroquinolone board? There is also a Jybrd975 on that site. I had a reaction to Cipro a year ago so visit that once in awhile. Let me know if we have that in common.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

so nice to see another success story. i love your coping techinques as well. ice pack huh? thats good to know...maybe a shock to the system.  :D

i like the distractions too. i do that as well. works great if you can keep yourself distracted long enough.

• 1 month later...

Well, I have to say I am glad to see that even with the fog I am swimming through right now I may remember some of this withdrawal. Thank you for sharing that. I would prefer TO remember some of it so I have something to measure my progress against. Appreciate your post!

Stay well!  :mybuddy: