Benzo-free, Day 12

[sy...]

I took my last dose of Lorazepam on March 6. :yippee: As expected, I am still experiencing certain recovery/healing symptoms: insomnia, hyperexcitability, tinnitus, increased sweating, upset stomach. The anxiety and fear that I have been living with for the last 47 years, however, are almost completely gone!!!

I am still on 10mg Lexapro and 12.5mg Ambien CR. Last week I had a long talk with my sister who is a pharmacist. She told me that the benzo taper was rough on my system and that I shouldn't change my drug regimen for a month. She also said to taper the Lexapro before the Ambien CR.

I've been on Lexapro for 5.5 years. Has anybody ever experienced "feeling wired" or insomnia while on this drug? I suspect that the Lexapro isn't helping my recovery but I'm leery to rock the boat at this point.

Sylvia

I took my last dose of Lorazepam on March 6. :yippee: As expected, I am still experiencing certain recovery/healing symptoms: insomnia, hyperexcitability, tinnitus, increased sweating, upset stomach. The anxiety and fear that I have been living with for the last 47 years, however, are almost completely gone!!!

Isn't that the most amazing thing, sylvia?  I experienced the same thing when I was off lorazepam and was flabbergasted by having less anxiety when I was off the anxiety "treatment".  :laugh:

I am still on 10mg Lexapro and 12.5mg Ambien CR. Last week I had a long talk with my sister who is a pharmacist. She told me that the benzo taper was rough on my system and that I shouldn't change my drug regimen for a month. She also said to taper the Lexapro before the Ambien CR.

I've been on Lexapro for 5.5 years. Has anybody ever experienced "feeling wired" or insomnia while on this drug? I suspect that the Lexapro isn't helping my recovery but I'm leery to rock the boat at this point.

Sylvia

I agree with your sister about letting your body adjust a little longer before changing your drugs.  I wasn't successful getting off ambien until about 2-3 months after my last dose of lorazepam.  I tried at the 4 week mark and it was just too soon.  I have been on Lexapro but don't remember the side effects. 

I'm so glad you are feeling as well as you are at this point.  While there may still be bumps and waves, the worst is surely behind you now.  :thumbsup:

Hi Sylvia, 

That's so great you're benzo free!  I agree with Beeper and your sister, wise words from both!  I tried to get off of the Lexapro when I was still feeling withdrawal symptoms and it didn't work out too good.  So, I went back on until I was symptom free.  It was really easy to do.  In fact, I didn't feel any difference between taking it and not.  I guess being symptom free is so great that nothing phases me anymore. 

As for the Ambien, I think that it might be the cause of some of the feelings you're experiencing.  The wired and insomnia is what I felt when I was still taking Ambien.  Since I quit it too, I feel great!

One way you might be able to figure out if it's the Ambien is, do you feel calm when you first wake up in the morning?  This is when the Ambien is still in your system. 

Good luck on the rest of your goals to get drug free, I've got to tell you it's a great feeling!  Take it slow though, give your body some time to rest and then go after them with a vengeance!

Pam

I take the Ambien CR around 11pm and get about 7 hours of "sleep" until I wake up somewhat abruptly. Afterwards I usually toss and turn for another 2-3 hours. I seem to be calmer in the morning.

I take the Lexapro around noon. Maybe it would be better if I took it earlier in the day. Five years ago, my doctor wanted me to take 20mg (so that I could discontinue taking the Lorazepam). That didn't work. As soon as I ramped up to 15mg, I felt completely wired all day. So I cut back to 10mg.

Sylvia

Hey, I noticed you put parathesis around "sleep", good one.  It sounds like you know that Ambien sleep isn't the best kind of sleep.  A good 7 hours of sleep sounds pretty good, it doesn't sound like you've built up too much of a tolerance to it yet.  Are you taking the 6 or the 12 dose?

I don't know what to tell you about the Lexepro, I never had any wiring issues and I was on 20 milligrams, I took it in the morning though.  Maybe I couldn't tell what it was doing because I would swallow it with a cup of coffee.

Which drug are you going to try to get off of first, when you're feeling stronger?

Sylvia,

Thanks for sharing that! I'm so glad to hear you're nearly free of anxiety post-benzo. I tried lexapro once and got that wired feeling right off the bat, but I'm sure your sister knows her stuff re:tapering off.

Best,

Kelley

Sylvia

I was on lex for about 2 years and it just kinda quit working. Dont know about the insomnia cause I was taking clon at the same time..

I started tapering the Lexapro last Saturday. This time I am titrating right from the beginning. Targeted step-off date: June 24.  :)

Sylvia

Hi Sylvia,

Wow, you're so organized and determined!  I'm so impressed with your desire to do this right.  I've read about tapering off of the A/D's and agree with your plan.

How are you feeling post benzo, are you suffering many symptoms?  It helps others tapering to know a little of what to expect once they make the jump too.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Pam :smitten:

Today is Day 20 of benzo-freedom. It certainly hasn't been easy. My biggest post-benzo issues are sleep (although the last couple of nights have been ok), tinnitus (ear ringing), tingling all over, and some waves of panic (that dreaded hot and cold feeling).

I try to take things one day at a time. When I have a good day, I try to be happy about that. When I have had a couple of difficult days in a row, I try not to be pessimistic. I stopped drinking alcohol six weeks ago, I go to the gym 3 times a week, I go to the chiropractor every other week, I get a deep tissue massage every three weeks.

I'm very involved at our church, I lead a support group for women with depression/anxiety, and I volunteer at the local food shelf. I also make sure to surround myself with positive/healthy people.

Overall, I try to handle life without a pill. I have done it before, I can do it again.  ;)

Sylvia

Today is Day 20 of benzo-freedom. It certainly hasn't been easy. My biggest post-benzo issues are sleep (although the last couple of nights have been ok), tinnitus (ear ringing), tingling all over, and some waves of panic (that dreaded hot and cold feeling).

I try to take things one day at a time. When I have a good day, I try to be happy about that. When I have had a couple of difficult days in a row, I try not to be pessimistic. I stopped drinking alcohol six weeks ago, I go to the gym 3 times a week, I go to the chiropractor every other week, I get a deep tissue massage every three weeks.

I'm very involved at our church, I lead a support group for women with depression/anxiety, and I volunteer at the local food shelf. I also make sure to surround myself with positive/healthy people.

Overall, I try to handle life without a pill. I have done it before, I can do it again.  ;)

Sylvia

We are very proud of you.

I see you lead a support group at the church for depression and anxiety. I am curious if you developed anxiety and/or depression AFTER starting benzos or before? Also, have you seen the program "Attacking Anxiety" by Lucinda Bassett? I have it on audio tape. It is very good.

Hi Sylvia,

I love your can do attitude, with that you won't have to take another pill!  I'm totally amazed that you're going to the gym 3 times a week, that's got to be doing great things for your health and your attitude!

Keep up the good work and please post to let us know how it's going!

Pam :smitten:

Today is Day 28 of benzo-freedom. A couple of weeks ago I tossed the last of the Lorazepam (I had kept 1mg for "emergencies").  :)

I'm not sure if this is benzo or A/D related but yesterday I struggled with depression all day. :( I probably should have waited a full four weeks before starting my Lexapro taper. Oh, well! A therapist told me last year not to use the word "should."

However, I did decide to switch from titration to dry-cutting. Even though I only reduced my Lexapro dosage by 0.1mg a day, I feel that I need to give my body time to stabilize by taking a certain dosage for at least 10 days. When I get down to a level that isn't manageable by cutting the pills, I will go back to titration.

Sylvia

I just started titration,tried cutting pills over and over again and always failed.Its good to hear someone has had success getting off Lorazapam............dont know if I will ever be able to.

Today is Day 28 of benzo-freedom. A couple of weeks ago I tossed the last of the Lorazepam (I had kept 1mg for "emergencies").  :)

I'm not sure if this is benzo or A/D related but yesterday I struggled with depression all day. :( I probably should have waited a full four weeks before starting my Lexapro taper. Oh, well! A therapist told me last year not to use the word "should."

However, I did decide to switch from titration to dry-cutting. Even though I only reduced my Lexapro dosage by 0.1mg a day, I feel that I need to give my body time to stabilize by taking a certain dosage for at least 10 days. When I get down to a level that isn't manageable by cutting the pills, I will go back to titration.

Sylvia

Hi Sylvia! I hope your feeling better!

Amanda :smitten:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sylvia,

I read your post to Lady Z, I'm glad you're ready to cut the Ambien out of your life.  I used it during my withdrawal from Klonopin, it became a real problem for me.  I finally got it out of my life and now I'm drug free and sleeping without pills!

Good luck, you can do it.  It's a little unpleasant, but worth it!

Pam