A Word Of Caution Regarding Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics

[St...]

A WORD OF CAUTION REGARDING FLUOROQUINOLONE ANTIBIOTICS

Studies have found that Fluoroquinolone antibiotics can have adverse effects on people that are dependant on Benzodiazapines.  Fluoroquinolones have been found to competitively displace benzodiazepines from benzodiazepine receptors which can precipitate acute withdrawal. A study confirmed that fluoroquinolone CNS toxicity can be serious, occuring more frequently in benzodiazepine dependent subjects and concluded that fluoroquinolone antibiotics should be contraindicated in patients who are dependent on or in benzodiazepine withdrawal. A person with an already compromised GABA system (for example, one going through benzodiazepine withdrawal) is likely to be at an even greater risk of severe adverse reactions.

It should be noted that not everyone who is withdrawing from a benzodiazepine would have problems with this class of antibiotic. No one should ever disregard their doctor’s advice. We encourage you to speak with your doctor anytime you have a question about any prescription medication.

LIST OF FLUOROQUINOLONE ANTIBIOTICS:

Alatrofloxacin

Amifloxacin

Balofloxacin

Besifloxacin

Ciprofloxacin

Clinafloxacin

Danofloxacin

Delafloxacin

Difloxacin

Enoxacin

Enrofloxacin

Fleroxacin

Garenoxacin

Gatifloxacin

Gemifloxacin

Grepafloxacin

Kano trovafloxacin trial litigation

Levofloxacin

Lomefloxacin

Marbofloxacin

Moxifloxacin

Nadifloxacin

Norfloxacin

Ofloxacin

Orbifloxacin

Pazufloxacin

Pefloxacin

Prulifloxacin

Rufloxacin

Sitafloxacin

Sparfloxacin

Temafloxacin

Tosufloxacin

Trovafloxacin

Reference and further information:

Fluoroquinolone interactions with benzodiazapines

Withdrawal syndrome and interactions with Fluoroquinolone antimicrobials

Possible interaction of Fluoroquinolones with the

benzodiazepine-GABAA-receptor complex

List of Fluoroquinolone antibiotics

• 4 weeks later...

Below is a link to Adverse effects of these drugs.  The information is good except a bit deceiving when you look at the number of cases.  The numbers shown are for those cases that were reported to Adverse Event Reporting System (AERS) aka MedWatch.  Hospitals and physicians rarely report this information. 

Also keep family and friends away from these drugs.  It doesn't matter if you have used a benzo or not, they run a risk of causing serious damage, including sudden tendon rupture.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_effects_of_fluoroquinolones

Common Fluoroquinolones available in the U.S.   Cipro, Levaquin, Factive, Avelox, Noroxin.  These drugs also go by different names so ask your physician or pharmacist.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a group on Facebook for people who have been floxed.  People can get a lot of information from that group:

Edit: Link Removed. No social media links, i.e. Facebook, as per FUM

• 2 weeks later...
Fluoroquinolones can definitely make things worse for people in benzo wd. I had 2 doses of Cipro in the middle of my first CT withdrawal and it really worsened my situation and led to me being put on a stronger benzo after 4 months of intensified symptoms. I think it is probably a factor in my severe protracted wd, I just don't know how much of a factor. I know it felt like it was causing the same damage as benzos, only much faster.

• 2 months later...
Thanks for posting.....I took Levaquin back in March of 2008 and had a severe reaction and almost died....strong heart palps...anxiety through the roof....could not even walk....whole body was on fire then went numb......blood pressure went sky high could not get it under control...muscle weakness....still not able to drive because hands and arms are too weak and hardly have feelings in them....this is why I had to be put on Xanax because of this awful drug Levaquin...now am fighting the demon of Xanax withdrawal/recovery and am still struggling at 25 months off Xanax....Fluoroquinolones and Benzos are TOXIC!!!!!!!!! They changed my life within seconds and not for the best!!!!!!!!! I still have anxiety...arms and hands are weak but yet feel very heavy...drop things all the time.......strong heart palps....vertigo....eyes are weak but feel heavy....eyes and skin itch and I have the inner vibrations.....muscles and joints are soar and feel as though they are on fire...left arm is so soar can not even raise it  up in the air it is actually stock like I have a frozen shoulder....please stay away from Levaquin or anything in this family of drugs....I am still struggling with long term effects fron it and coming off Xanax and I also belong to The Fluoroquinolone Web Site where there are soooo many people suffering just as we are suffering from a Benzo...please be aware!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
[5e...]
Thanks for posting this.  I recently became aware of this problem and told my family about it as well since anyone can have adverse effects from the drugs you mentioned.  From now on I am going to say that I am allergic to them since they have many older, safer antibiotics that are just as effective.

• 2 weeks later...

been there

was given cypro twice

burning spine

given fluconzone for candida thrush from antibiotics

websites docs use for interaction does not state this so i was labeled insane/depressed and  anxiety

by er

worst partgiven to me in rehab by psyc doc for sinusitis infection caused by detox

i have sinistus due to trigger points in neck

learned i shouldn't be on clonazapam

wish i could find a benzo wise doc here in clearwater fl

• 3 weeks later...

My goodness thank you SO much for this thread!

I have been bitten in an arm by a dog and the wound has gone septic. I told my doctor here in Spain I am allergic to penicillin and also to fluorquinolone antibiotics and thought he understood.  However he went and prescribed me Ciprofloxacin which is on this list!  It is a good job I noticed ... he has now changed them to Eritomicine (Erithromycin) which I think are okay, I have had them in the past.

I am so grateful that this thread exists and am keeping a copy of this post on hand at all times.

Angel

• 4 weeks later...

Fluoroquinolones can definitely make things worse for people in benzo wd. I had 2 doses of Cipro in the middle of my first CT withdrawal and it really worsened my situation and led to me being put on a stronger benzo after 4 months of intensified symptoms. I think it is probably a factor in my severe protracted wd, I just don't know how much of a factor. I know it felt like it was causing the same damage as benzos, only much faster.

I think that some of the side effects of them are worse than benzo w/d

• 1 month later...
It should be noted that not everyone who is withdrawing from a benzodiazepine would have problems with this class of antibiotic.

Earlier this year I took a fluoroquinolone (Cipro) for 4 weeks with no problem. I have been taking benzos for years but I didn't notice any withdrawal symptoms or any adverse effects while I was taking the Cipro.

I guess my experience just shows that different people react differently.

• 3 weeks later...

I was took levaquin after a year off benzos, and it caused a mild flair up of symptoms.  Muscle tremors and some nasty anxiety.  Not pleasant, but nothing serious.

I think if you can take a substitute antibiotic, that is probably a good call.  That said, you don't want to screw around with a bad infection.  If your severally bronchial or septic, your dealing with illnesses that can be directly life treating.  So be informed and make sure that the substitute is as effective and well indicated for your infection. 

My 2 cents.

Best,

Kitco

• 2 weeks later...

Hi  there Alan,

BG here just reading an old post of yrs wow im glad that i wasnt put on fluconzone ant biotics looks like it has caused you alot of grief as well as others here im on my last week of doxycylcine to treat well you know what ive had going on.

I feel for you as i suffer badly from sinus infections too, you would think that doctors would look into what meds you are on and give something that wont mess up yr withdrawal even though you are off the benzo now,us others have a way to go yet but we will get there will help from people that have been there like you!!

Take care friend :mybuddy:

BG x

• 2 weeks later...
Levaquin is like Xanax....Toxic...Lucky for anyone that did not have any troubles being on a Fluoroquinolone...You dodged a bullet this time...please be careful you may not be as lucky the next time...I have a friend that did fine on them for at least 3 different times then wham on fourth time got hit with very bad side effects...my Doctor says sometimes you dodge a bullet then other times you don't..I would not tale anything in the Fluoroquinolone or Benzo family ever again even if I were on my death bed which I feel most of the time from ever taking these 2 nasty drugs!!!!!!!!!!!Please be careful just do not want anyone to experience the Hell that I have after taking Levaquin over 4 years ago and still not able to drive because the nerve endings in my arms and hands are damaged..I have very little feeling in them :(((((

• 2 weeks later...
I'm glad I know this now. I was hospitalized with a severe UTI and given Cipro. I was on 0.5mg clonazepam bid. I ended up instantly being unable to sleep, having panic attacks and crying spells, was given temazepam with no effect, and then ended up psychotic the night I was discharged. I also happened to find out I'm allergic to Cipro as well.

• 1 month later...

I was aware of the negative effects these drugs could have on you during withdrawal process but I had no other options after using several other classes of antibiotics to clear up a urinary tract infection. I was very careful not to overtax my muscle during my workout sessions, but could definately feel the difference and since I had been doing reasonably well, all things considered, before the Cipro and now I have what feels like a muscle, tendon or ligament tear in my left groin that pulls on my flank muscle which for some reason almost completely slowed down my entire G-I tract. I've discussed this with my doctor but unfortunately my G-I symptoms also mimic diverticulitis. Now I'm back on a Bactrium DS which is also bothering me. They also, but not to the same extent as the fluros can cause muscle and psychiatric side effects.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who while during their tapering did take a fluro and subsequently experience a soft tissue injury. I'm not looking for RX advise, just whether it has happened.

Sorry I have not been able to ad my taper info on my signature. It's mostly because I can not sit too long without upping the pain level in the area.

Thanks

Star Gazer

• 2 months later...

When I was in the emergency room on my way to surgery for a ruptured appendix, the nurse attending to me asked if I had any allergies to medications. I told her I couldn't tolerate Fluroquins and she asked what happened if I take them.  At that very moment I didn't have the  cognitive ability to explain why.  I don't exactly remember what I said, but post surgery, when I had been home for a time, I requested the records from my appendix adventure this is what she wrote:

Patient cannot tolerate fluroquinoline antibiotics because they make her go crazy in the head.  lol

When I was in the emergency room on my way to surgery for a ruptured appendix, the nurse attending to me asked if I had any allergies to medications. I told her I couldn't tolerate Fluroquins and she asked what happened if I take them.  At that very moment I didn't have the  cognitive ability to explain why.  I don't exactly remember what I said, but post surgery, when I had been home for a time, I requested the records from my appendix adventure this is what she wrote:

Patient cannot tolerate fluroquinoline antibiotics because they make her go crazy in the head.  lol

:2funny:  LMAO

• 4 weeks later...
I currently have an antibiotic resistant UTI... They want me to take Cipro...I am 2 years and 1 month off benzos and feel pretty healed...would it be ok? or will this set me back?

• 4 weeks later...

I currently have an antibiotic resistant UTI... They want me to take Cipro...I am 2 years and 1 month off benzos and feel pretty healed...would it be ok? or will this set me back?

I want to know the answer to that question too.  IMPORTANT!!!

ALSO IMPORTANT

Never drink Grapefruit juice or any grapefruit product or it will interfere with your taper BIG TIME.  Grapefruit interferes with enzyme's in the liver that metabolize benzo's and this boosts the life of benzo's in your blood stream. Yes that means your GABA will not be healing during the time you were drinking or eating grapefruit.

[30...]