Announcement: It is with regret... ×

Who can drink caffeine?

[jo...]

Coffee has been such a corner stone of my life.  I quit booze young and opted for an outdoor healthy community lifestyle.  I've been going to the same coffee shop over 20 years.  I've been a fixture there and have made 100s of friends and acquaintances over the years.

The days I've managed to get out of the house I have to go down with my own Yeti filled with herbal tea since they don't stock caffeine free tea except one that is way too sweet. 

I've tolerated a black tea once or twice but since I've been in this wave I can't tolerate anything.  Has anyone here returned to light coffee drinking at any stage during their recovery?  It blows my mind how this withdrawal has affected every single part of my body, mind, and even the smallest of things I used to take for granted. 

Coffee has been such a corner stone of my life.  I quit booze young and opted for an outdoor healthy community lifestyle.  I've been going to the same coffee shop over 20 years.  I've been a fixture there and have made 100s of friends and acquaintances over the years.

The days I've managed to get out of the house I have to go down with my own Yeti filled with herbal tea since they don't stock caffeine free tea except one that is way too sweet. 

I've tolerated a black tea once or twice but since I've been in this wave I can't tolerate anything.  Has anyone here returned to light coffee drinking at any stage during their recovery?  It blows my mind how this withdrawal has affected every single part of my body, mind, and even the smallest of things I used to take for granted.

My brain has gone trough different stages regarding caffeine troughout my withdrawal.

In the beginning it gave me raging panic attacks, then as time passed i got a more normal response. Then i got a decent effekt from the caffeine/coffee, then i had a period where I only got sideeffects you would espect from caffeine. Now my brain is having a normal responce to my coffee 3-4 times pr month. In fact i just had two cups an hour ago, and I feel the increased concentration, mood lift and increased energi/decreased appetite. Im not having a panic reaction anymore. Hope this offers some comfort to you.

Hi Jonyob!

I was not a big coofee drinker but I really like a small but good cup of coffee. I grew up in a south american country (argetina) with a big population of Italinas, spaniards, French etc. They know how to make a good expresso to accompany  good taisty pastries.

I stop drinking coffee and replaced it with decaf. I use the Italian brand Lavtza and I tell you that there is not that much of a difference. I don't have any bussiness relationship with them. You should give it a try.

Mice

I drink 1-2 cups a day. No issues.

Thank you Packy.  How long after you jumped off benzos were you able to tolerate it?

Hi Jonyob!

I was not a big coofee drinker but I really like a small but good cup of coffee. I grew up in a south american country (argetina) with a big population of Italinas, spaniards, French etc. They know how to make a good expresso to accompany  good taisty pastries.

I stop drinking coffee and replaced it with decaf. I use the Italian brand Lavtza and I tell you that there is not that much of a difference. I don't have any bussiness relationship with them. You should give it a try.

Mice

Thank you Mice.  I haven't tried the decaf route yet.  It might be a good option in the meantime. 

My brain has gone trough different stages regarding caffeine troughout my withdrawal.

In the beginning it gave me raging panic attacks, then as time passed i got a more normal response. Then i got a decent effekt from the caffeine/coffee, then i had a period where I only got sideeffects you would espect from caffeine. Now my brain is having a normal responce to my coffee 3-4 times pr month. In fact i just had two cups an hour ago, and I feel the increased concentration, mood lift and increased energi/decreased appetite. Im not having a panic reaction anymore. Hope this offers some comfort to you.

Now I'm jealous.  Would love to have 2 cups.  I used to slam 2 -3 large americanos a day after my morning coffee. I've read through some of your posts.  You went through a lot and are good to people on here.  Much respect.  Thank you. 

I haven't quit coffee and never, ever want to.  How does one live without coffee? :o  I drink about 2 cups regular coffee (200 mg) daily, and I drink decaf too. :) 

Hello jonyob, hello coffee friends!

My avatar says it all -- cannot live without espresso!!! :D And some of my best times have been spent at my favorite coffee bars "fixing the world" with kindred friends.

I'm with Glitter, and fully understand that attitude, even though anxiety and all my benzo history might have been much briefer if I had followed my 1st psychiatrist's advice (Quit Coffee  >:( !!!). When he heard that I was a 2-3 x per day espresso drinker, he first laughed out loud and then gave his advice... This was years ago, btw.

Maybe one day?

Cheers!

I drink it now,  I was really messed up and was having tachycardia for hours a day for most of a year but I can drink it now

Coffee is like medicin to me. Sometimes when my cognitive symptoms increase i drink coffee to get that boost.

When my brain is more sensetive to coffee(the sensetivity goes up and down) I usually study philosofy or clean my apartment.

I gave it up during my taper, just to play it safe. I drank a coffee substitute -- Teecino. Aaaarg. Giving up coffee almost killed me . . . in my past life I owned an expresso bar! Anyhow, about a year after my taper ended, I started drinking decaf, then half caf, then back to real caf. That process took about 6 months. and I've never  looked back. My advice? If you want to drink coffee again, start slow and pay close attention to how you feel. If it doesn't feel good, don't do it.

Best,

Katz

I gave it up during my taper, just to play it safe. I drank a coffee substitute -- Teecino. Aaaarg. Giving up coffee almost killed me . . . in my past life I owned an expresso bar! Anyhow, about a year after my taper ended, I started drinking decaf, then half caf, then back to real caf. That process took about 6 months. and I've never  looked back. My advice? If you want to drink coffee again, start slow and pay close attention to how you feel. If it doesn't feel good, don't do it.

Best,

Katz

Good advice.  Thank you.