How do you know it's Xanax withdrawal (short term use) or major depression?

[ei...]

How can you be sure if the symptoms you're having is Xanax Withdrawal or Major Depressive Disorder?

Can it still be benzo withdrawal after only some months and low dose use?

1. October 2022: Panic attacks awakening at night, after 4th stage cancer diagnosis of sister.

New Psych prescribed 0.125mg Xanax three times a day for 1 month. Then came down to twice a day.

2. Then end of October 2022 was given Escitalopram (starting at low doses) as SSRI's allegedly are the "true" meds for anxiety disorder/depression. December 2022, stopped the antidepressant due to severe agitation and restlessness on the therapeutic dose. Lower fraction or crumbs of Xanax as needed for sleep.

3. March 2023 been through low dose Prozac 10mg for 50 days as well, but stopped also as it is also causing anxiety and had to take lesser and smaller pieces of Xanax to cope (A benzo to fight an SSRI?!).

Basically hard for me to tolerate SSRI's.

Currently 1 month off Xanax after tapering until crumbs. Psychiatrist prescribed a new antidepressant Vortioxetine, also too many side effects and I think it's helping very little.

My symptoms now:

1. Little or no interest in old hobbies

2. Food taste bland but can eat, eating seems to distract from symptoms.

3. Still awakening after 2-3hours of sleep. Mind seems to be to active. For longer sleep, Benadryl

25mg helps. (Could be the antidepressant causing insomnia)

4. Groggy

5. Can do little work, stays in bed/chair most of the mornings.

6. Tinnitus (ringing inside head)

7. Sometimes tingling/nervous sensation in fingertips and feet (could be the AD).

9. Stopped driving because of groggy feeling, might get in an accident.

10. Can shower daily and eat at a lesser amount due to bland taste buds (taste could be the AD as well).

11. Trying to exercise by sometimes taking short bike ride in the afternoon around the neighborhood even if not in the mood.

12. Sometimes still anxious as we don't know when my sister will go in peace.

I'd rather bear it if this is benzo withdrawal, but what if it is really depression and I do really need to take the antidepressant? Problem is i can barely tolerate antidepressants, and I suspect some of my symptoms are also from the side effects of the antidepressant.

The xanax withdrawal symptoms and depression looks similar?! I am tempted to taper the current antidepressant (only used for 1 month) and see if some of my symptoms improve, but at the same time afraid that I might get into a darker hole.

I"m sorry you're going through this.  The symptoms you describe are all very common withdrawal symptoms unfortunately.  Withdrawal symptoms are temporary but it can take some time for them to resolve as you heal.

We often see an exacerbation of depression during withdrawal particularly if depression has been an issue previously.  This is also true of anxiety.  The experience of withdrawal can be so challenging it's no wonder.  Ashton says: "Depressive symptoms are common both during long-term benzodiazepine use and in withdrawal. It is not surprising that some patients feel depressed considering the amalgam of other psychological and physical symptoms that may assail them."

In general we advise caution about introducing a new medication or supplement during withdrawal because it can muddy the waters and make it difficult to discern what is causing what.  But if you go for a few weeks with no let up in depressive symptoms, antidepressants may be the right decision for you.  Many of us have taken antidepressants during withdrawal.  Some have found it helpful while others have found it did not help at all and in fact, introduced other unpleasant side effects.  It's a tough decision.  It may help you to see what other members' experiences have been as you make a decision.  I suggest you look at Other Medications

I"m sorry you're going through this.  The symptoms you describe are all very common withdrawal symptoms unfortunately.  Withdrawal symptoms are temporary but it can take some time for them to resolve as you heal.

We often see an exacerbation of depression during withdrawal particularly if depression has been an issue previously.  This is also true of anxiety.  The experience of withdrawal can be so challenging it's no wonder.  Ashton says: "Depressive symptoms are common both during long-term benzodiazepine use and in withdrawal. It is not surprising that some patients feel depressed considering the amalgam of other psychological and physical symptoms that may assail them."

In general we advise caution about introducing a new medication or supplement during withdrawal because it can muddy the waters and make it difficult to discern what is causing what.  But if you go for a few weeks with no let up in depressive symptoms, antidepressants may be the right decision for you.  Many of us have taken antidepressants during withdrawal.  Some have found it helpful while others have found it did not help at all and in fact, introduced other unpleasant side effects.  It's a tough decision.  It may help you to see what other members' experiences have been as you make a decision.  I suggest you look at Other Medications

Thanks for the explanation. I am really in a difficult situation. I want to try to decrease the antidepressant but I also afraid the symptoms may worsen :(

I was able to get in touch with my old doctor that came home after being abroad. He says I need an antidepressant and maybe do a TMS for treatment resistant depression. :(