Tapering Temazepam (common name Restoril)

[Gi...]

Hi everyone  :)

I am new to this forum and have never taken benzos before this year.

I would value your suggestions about tapering.

I have been taking 10mg Temazepam pills (common name Restoril) for insomnia for 10 weeks only, but I'm very sensitive to it and experienced adverse affects early on.

My reduction plan from my GP is not currently tapered, and I only learned about tapering a few days ago:

- 10mg daily for 10 weeks up until a week ago (I was on 20mg for a week)

- 5mg daily for a week now by halving the tablets

My doctor's plan is then:

- 5mg every second day for a week

- jump/stop

I’m concerned that this 50% reduction is too fast and I might need to increase to a more sustainable rate of withdrawal (eg 7.5mg for two weeks), as I am having increased tremors, anxiety, tinnitus, light crawling/tingling of skin/legs etc.

I was thinking this would be safer:

- 7.5mg for two weeks

- 5mg for two weeks

- 2.5mg for two weeks

- 1.25mg for two weeks

- jump/stop

I have a mg scale, so could also use that. I'm not sure if the tablets are water soluble.

I am grateful for any suggestions about this.

Hi Giraffe1111

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I agree with you that you're doctor's plan to make 50% reductions are very fast, especially of you're sensitive. Your plan is somewhat better, but it still seems a bit agressive to me. Generally we recommend 5-10% cuts every two weeks or better yet, adjusting your percentages according to your symptoms, or what we call a symptoms based taper. If the 5-10% cuts are too big, then you keep adjusting based on your symptoms and what your body allows.

If you have a scale, it's a great start. Most people shave and weigh their tablets to get the desired cut. I'm sure you have more questions, so please feel free to keep asking as this process can be very daunting at the start.

Hi jelly baby,

Thank you so much for your reply and suggestions!

I guess my next question is whether I should go back up to 10mg or even 7.5mg after reducing to 5mg for a week now, as I agree that a 50% cut seems like a lot.

I spoke with my doctor today, who was previously pharmacist and wants to get me off them, yet he doesn't know about the Ashton Method etc. He suggested that I could go up to 7.5mg if I'm having withdrawal symptoms, which I am.

This has already had a detrimental affect on my life, so I just want to get off them, but also safely.

It really depends on how severe your symptoms are. If you struggle badly then yes you can updose, but if you feel it's manageable then you can try and tough it out. It's unlikely you'll be able to taper without any symptoms whatsoever. We just want you to be functional while you taper and not be suffering. Only you can determine the severity of your symptoms. If you feel they are too strong to manage then you can updose.