Severe pain

[Ve...]

Dear all,

October 2022 I tapered down 2 x 0,5 mg Xanax Retard after a year of use.

Unfortunately my anxiety flared up end January 2023 and I was so stupid to take the Xanax again. My anxiety is 24/7 present (I have health anxiety), probably one of the reasons why my muscles are so tense and painful. But it started hurting more after I took the Xanax. Because it didn't do anything for my anxiety I wanted to quit the Xanax and managed to reduce the morning dose. But my pain got worse and worse. My psych and I decided to switch the Xanax to 10 mg Diazepam/Valium because it is a better muscle relaxant than Xanax Retard and after stabilizing I hope to withdraw from the Diazepam.

I have been taking the Diazepam for a week now and unfortunately I'm still in a lot of pain. My ribcage in the front, side, breast and back (everywhere) are hurting so much, I can't describe it. My doctor says it comes from the anxiety and muscle tension but it feels like something is pulling my muscles, bones and organs continuously. It is very hard to describe to my doctor, or surroundings. It are not simple muscle aches, it is a quite intense sensation and it limits me in daily life.

Does anyone recognize this?

Thanks for your reactions!

What was your dose of Xanax when your doctor crossed you to 10 mg Diazepam and did you immediately stop the Xanax or did you taper the Diazepam in?

Doctors do not know that these drugs can cause side effects for patients like the pains that you describe.

I took 0,5 mg Xanax Retard in the evening and I immediately stopped the Xanax, did not taper the Diazepam in.

Your doctor did you a disservice, you should have tapered the Diazepam in because it takes longer to build up in your system.  Taking you off the Xanax so suddenly left you in a deficit so your body needs some time to stabilize.  Also, it can take up to 3 weeks for the drug to reach full effect, and your doctor is again wrong, what you’re going through now is not tension from anxiety as Rebecca29 mentioned, your doctor basically cold turkeyed you. 

Thanks for your reply, I was afraid that this was the case. Maybe it is better to start back with the Xanax then and leave the Diazepam as it is (because I "only" have been taking it for one week)?

I would suggest holding for awhile longer rather than starting back on the Xanax but that’s only possible if you can stand it.  If you’re not functional then you might consider going back on but you’ve come this far and in all likelihood you’ll stabilize in the next few days to a week.  Of course, stabilize doesn’t mean feeling good, it just means you can perform your daily tasks and your symptoms have settled a bit.  We don’t feel good until we’re off the drug and recovered from our use.

Thanks for your reply, I was afraid that this was the case. Maybe it is better to start back with the Xanax then and leave the Diazepam as it is (because I "only" have been taking it for one week)?

I don't know if you will be able to stand whatever drug, but I think that a good measure would be adding pioglitazone, like 15 mg and metformin, not for insulin resistance, but for pain and as anti-inflammatories, pains like this has nothing to do with " anxiety " it's something deeper than that, I hope this helps.

Thanks again for both of your advices. One last question. I think I will stay on the Diazepam, at this moment I take 5 mg in the evening and 5 mg in the morning. I have the feeling that is just a little bit too much for me. Is it dangerous/irresponsable to quit the morning dose?

I don't know if you will be able to stand whatever drug, but I think that a good measure would be adding pioglitazone, like 15 mg and metformin, not for insulin resistance, but for pain and as anti-inflammatories, pains like this has nothing to do with " anxiety " it's something deeper than that, I hope this helps.

Hi Denizthekid,

I’m uncomfortable with your post, I feel you would benefit from reading our policy on Giving Medical Advice

Pamster

Hi Denizthekid,

I’m uncomfortable with your post, I feel you would benefit from reading our policy on Giving Medical Advice

Pamster

Don't worry about that, I'm not planning to take another medicine next to the Diazepam.

sorry about that... was giving my opnion, the intention was to help a buddy,  possibly preventing the development of chronic pain from whatever intrisic damage that benzo withdrawal might cause

• 2 weeks later...
I’ve been taking Xanax for probably 10 years. 1mg tablets as needed for anxiety. I probably averaged 2mg/day - 1 in late morning and 1 at bed time. I’ve had flank/back pain on and off during that time. Starting in this April, I began having GI issues (might have been an infection, but don’t know). I started by seeing my GP who then referred me to a GI who began scheduling tests and scopes. As the medical tests increased, I upped my dosage to 3mg per day. I would try to limit how often I did that but I usually needed 3mg. Since the GI investigation started, my anxiety increased as did the physical symptoms. These included intense right flank pain, bladder pain, intestinal pain, diarrhea, and now burning and itching skin at night, facial flushing, food sensitivity, and tingling feet and hands. Insomnia also, of course. I’ve had a colonoscopy, upper GI scope, 3 CT scans, a PET scan and this week will have 2 MRIs. Fortunately nothing major found, but being new to this group and hearing your stories, I am wondering how much of my physical symptoms are from Xanax tolerance withdrawal and damage/changes to my neurology. If I take a Xanax right now, I will feel better physically for about 2hrs. I’m going to resist and start to try to begin tapering. It’s a tailspin though, because once you start down the path of medical visits, the anxiety increases and the whole thing cascades.

I’ve been taking Xanax for probably 10 years. 1mg tablets as needed for anxiety. I probably averaged 2mg/day - 1 in late morning and 1 at bed time. I’ve had flank/back pain on and off during that time. Starting in this April, I began having GI issues (might have been an infection, but don’t know). I started by seeing my GP who then referred me to a GI who began scheduling tests and scopes. As the medical tests increased, I upped my dosage to 3mg per day. I would try to limit how often I did that but I usually needed 3mg. Since the GI investigation started, my anxiety increased as did the physical symptoms. These included intense right flank pain, bladder pain, intestinal pain, diarrhea, and now burning and itching skin at night, facial flushing, food sensitivity, and tingling feet and hands. Insomnia also, of course. I’ve had a colonoscopy, upper GI scope, 3 CT scans, a PET scan and this week will have 2 MRIs. Fortunately nothing major found, but being new to this group and hearing your stories, I am wondering how much of my physical symptoms are from Xanax tolerance withdrawal and damage/changes to my neurology. If I take a Xanax right now, I will feel better physically for about 2hrs. I’m going to resist and start to try to begin tapering. It’s a tailspin though, because once you start down the path of medical visits, the anxiety increases and the whole thing cascades.

Hello  Longtermwithdrawal  :) Welcome to Benzobuddies

I would say all your symptoms are from Xanax tolerance withdrawal, unfortunately many of us reach tolerance level. It happened to me, you only have two options take more or taper off.  I chose to tape, best thing I ever did.  It’s generally recommended to reduce between 5-10% every 10-14 day, it is ok to adjust this schedule, depending how you feel, whatever feels comfortable.  You will learn more about tapering on the taper boards.  You’ll get plenty of support and encouragement from us here to help you through it.

The Ashton Manual, is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s  have on our body.  It provides withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal (TaperPlans)

Withdrawal Support

You might like to post to this support group:

The Xanax Club

If you can please  add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Magrita