Taper advice for .5 once a day for 3 years

[Su...]

Hi all , im just looking some advice on a taper schedule that will do as least amount of harm as possible , i have been on .5 mg  xanax for 3 years perscribed for generalized anxiety disorder and about 6 months i started noticing interdose withdrawals , so im ready to come off the med versus going up in dose. My doc. Is aware that i want to come off the xanax , he supports the idea , but his taper schedule seems extremely fast to me, his is a one week process.thanks for any help.

Hey Summit8714.  Welcome to the forum. For those who are currently tapering, some folks suggest reducing no faster than 5-10% every 10-14 days, and some taper even slower than that. If you experience symptoms it is ok to slow down.  How does this advice compare to what your doctor is saying?

Everyone has different biochemistry, there is no way to know exactly how you'll react until you try it. That said, going to zero in one week after 3 years of dependence sounds like a really, really bad idea to me. For me personally, that would look like a slow taper over a year or more. There are lots of options for tapering, all discussed in other areas of the site. Please think very carefully and move very slowly with this decision.