Insomnia : From Weaning Off Low Dose Xanax or New Antidepressant?

[ei...]

I took Xanax 0.125mg 3x a day in October - November 2022, after panic attacks awakening at night (late stage cancer diagnosis in family).

Develop depression since December 2022. Been switching SSRI's and weaning off the Xanax (last doses were taken at night only).

Fast forward May 2023. Completely weaned off Xanax (last doses were crumbs) but still have difficulty staying asleep. Mostly get 3-4 hours sleep only, wake up and could not go back to sleep.

Is it the Xanax withdrawal or could it be my new antidepressant Vortioxetine 10mg, I read in a FB group that many users don't have Insomnia taking this (more than 50%), but who knows...

0.125mg Xanax three times a day is still low dose right? I am thinking the Insomnia was from this Benzo? Could it be still?

I tried taking Benadryl 50mg last night and got longer sleep, but I might develop tolerance with this too soon. Any suggestions for a sleep aid?

Everyone is different, but all Benzos down regulate GABA and IMO there is no such thing as a small dose.  I say that because your dose might do the same thing to you that 1mg does to someone else.  Honestly 3-4 hours per night isn't bad.  When I started getting 3-4 hours most nights I thought I was healed.  :)

Not sleeping is one of the worst symptoms, IMO, but sleep does return.  I'd read this post, it should answer most, if not all, of your questions?

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=235100.0

I took Xanax 0.125mg 3x a day in October - November 2022, after panic attacks awakening at night (cancer diagnosis in family).

Develop depression since December 2022. Been switching SSRI's and weaning off the Xanax (last doses were taken at night only).

Fast forward May 2023. Completely weaned off Xanax (last doses were crumbs) but still have difficulty staying asleep. Mostly get 3-4 hours sleep only, wake up and could not go back to sleep.

Is it the Xanax withdrawal or could it be my new antidepressant Vortioxetine 10mg, I read in a FB group that most users don't have Insomnia taking this (more than 60%), but who knows...

0.125mg Xanax three times a day is still low dose right? I am thinking the Insomnia was from this Benzo? Could it be still?

I tried taking Benadryl 50mg last night and got longer sleep, but I might develop tolerance with this too soon. Any suggestions for a sleep aid?

I have had less than 4 hours sleep the last 4 days.  I'm 3 months out from .5mg Ativan (up to .75mg for 2 days).

.375mg Xanax (your daily dose)  = .75mg Ativan (my highest dose) = 7.5mg Valium.  Not really a low dose.  My insomnia was brutal my first month off, and again this week due to a stress triggered wave. 

Everyone is different, but all Benzos down regulate GABA and IMO there is no such thing as a small dose.  I say that because your dose might do the same thing to you that 1mg does to someone else.  Honestly 3-4 hours per night isn't bad.  When I started getting 3-4 hours most nights I thought I was healed.  :)

Not sleeping is one of the worst symptoms, IMO, but sleep does return.  I'd read this post, it should answer most, if not all, of your questions?

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=235100.0

ThEwAy2,

Thanks. I read your 2 main stories and it is very inspiring.

So the GABA receptors will go back to normal in time? (My doctor keeps saying I was on a low dose Alprazolam). I thought maybe it was the antidepressant causing insomnia.

My situation is difficult, as I am just one month on my new antidepressant. Hard to know which one is actually doing what.

I will try to do some of your tips, but I still need the 25mg Benadryl though... I hope for the short term only as I feel unwell without sleep.

Yes, sleep returns...for sure, just not as soon as we'd like or as much as we'd like.  Ashton says sleep returns in 6-12 months for most.  Some take less time, many take more time.  It's all situational.  Sleep returns in fits and starts like the stock market.  It can be good for days, weeks or months, and then get bad again until it finally evens out.  My worst sleep was at 3 months off after jumping Cold Turkey (not recommended) and lasted until about month 10.  Then I started getting 4-5 hours most nights but still had a zero night about 1 time per week.  That gradually worked it's way into one zero night per month, then every 3 months and then 6 months, etc.  Eventually I was getting some sleep every night, about 5-6 hours or more at 24 months off.  That gradually improved to 6-8 hours pretty much every night.  Although I still get off nights, my sleep is 10 times better today than it was 6-7 years ago.  Good luck.

Yes, sleep returns...for sure, just not as soon as we'd like or as much as we'd like.  Ashton says sleep returns in 6-12 months for most.  Some take less time, many take more time.  It's all situational.  Sleep returns in fits and starts like the stock market.  It can be good for days, weeks or months, and then get bad again until it finally evens out.  My worst sleep was at 3 months off after jumping Cold Turkey (not recommended) and lasted until about month 10.  Then I started getting 4-5 hours most nights but still had a zero night about 1 time per week.  That gradually worked it's way into one zero night per month, then every 3 months and then 6 months, etc.  Eventually I was getting some sleep every night, about 5-6 hours or more at 24 months off.  That gradually improved to 6-8 hours pretty much every night.  Although I still get off nights, my sleep is 10 times better today than it was 6-7 years ago.  Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I took crumbs of Melatonin last night and i slept longer.

My issue now is the unbearable side effects maybe from the Antidepressant Vortioxetine I am now taking: severe constipation, nauseau, dry lips, dull taste, low appetite, no libido, some hours tired, some hours agitated. I am considering talking with my doctor if I can come off of it. I had bad experiences with antidepressants, i haven't been able to tolerate one for more than 5 months.

IS IT POSSIBLE I DON'T NEED AN ANTIDEPRESSANT? Since my episodes in 1998-1999, 2003-2004, 2014-2015... I have never lasted on an antidepressant for more than 5 months. Prozac, Zoloft, Escitalopram, etc. I also had experience being prescribed Flouxetine 20mg every other day because of the side effects.

By the way I also finished rTMS 2 weeks ago, my doctor said I need it for treatment resistant depression. I am not sure if it helped, if it did I wish to wean off this awful Vortioxetine 10mg that has too many side effects too. I am more functional now though, maybe the rTMS did worked. I am not sure if my doctor would agree, the usual statement is " I want you on an antidepressant because relapse is high after 1 year for depression".

I only relapse after a new shocking event in my life.

This is not medical advice, but ADs can have their own symptoms and withdrawal, although Ashton does recommend ADs to alleviate symptom intensity for those that can tolerate them.  You have to decide what is best for you.  If you just stopped Benzos in May, then there is a 4-12 week period that many experience called "acute" withdrawal where symptoms and intensity are at their worst.  So it might not be AD related or based on your past experience with ADs it very well could be? 

I had a plethora of other symptoms too, many that you are describing now.  These all paled in comparison to the severe insomnia, which made all symptoms and symptom intensity worse IMO.  Here's hoping you don't have any more "shocking" life events.

This is not medical advice, but ADs can have their own symptoms and withdrawal, although Ashton does recommend ADs to alleviate symptom intensity for those that can tolerate them.  You have to decide what is best for you.  If you just stopped Benzos in May, then there is a 4-12 week period that many experience called "acute" withdrawal where symptoms and intensity are at their worst.  So it might not be AD related or based on your past experience with ADs it very well could be? 

I had a plethora of other symptoms too, many that you are describing now.  These all paled in comparison to the severe insomnia, which made all symptoms and symptom intensity worse IMO.  Here's hoping you don't have any more "shocking" life events.

Thank you very much for the reply.

Could be Xanax withdrawal, I notice the past 4 days, I feel some uneasiness when I sit down, would like to move my feet often. Agitation?. I will try to wait it out.

The urge to move where you cannot sit still is also a WD symptom called Akathisia.  It is somewhat common from my experience.  I had it too, for about a month.  It felt like I couldn't sit still and had to move around, walk, etc.  It will pass with time.

The urge to move where you cannot sit still is also a WD symptom called Akathisia.  It is somewhat common from my experience.  I had it too, for about a month.  It felt like I couldn't sit still and had to move around, walk, etc.  It will pass with time.

ThEwAy2,

Thank you very much. At least I have an idea that this maybe Xanax WD. The feet agitation seems lesser today.

I would also talked with my doctor, if possible to lower my dose of the antidepressant. I might get a "no" if I ask to stop it.

• 5 weeks later...

Getting to sleep the past week without any Benadryl or Melatonin. I hope I am getting better.

Main issue now is unsteadiness or slight dizziness. Still part of Benzo withdrawal??? I hope it passes too.

Hanging on to what TheWay2 said: "If you just stopped Benzos in May, then there is a 4-12 week period that many experience called "acute" withdrawal where symptoms and intensity are at their worst".

Waiting for the 12 weeks...