I'm 6 years out. How bad would an occasional prn ambien be?

[Al...]

It's been over 6 years years since I last took xanax and 5 years since I've taken any kind of psych drug or even so much as a gabaergic herb. I was taking 0.25mg of xanax prn twice per week for panic attacks and am not even sure it was enough to cause a withdrawal or if all my years of 'withdrawal' symptoms are really due to another issue. Anyway I'm having a new issue right now involving back pain and neuropathy pain which apparently never had anything to do with benzos and its really ramping up my anxiety and insomnia. Whenever I miss a night or especially 2 nights of sleep I get really depressed about it and my life is in danger and I start telling people about it, which isn't good. It would be really nice if I could occasionally knock myself out and prevent this from happening. Ambien is the only thing I can remember that really had the power to calm me down and knock me out in any scenario, and also had no side effects the next day.  I wouldn't use it every night just the worst nights when my back is spasming and I can't sleep. How bad would it be if I started using an occasional prn ambien right now? Would it bring back the benzo withdrawal from 7 years ago (that I'm not even sure I had)?

It's been over 6 years years since I last took xanax and 5 years since I've taken any kind of psych drug or even so much as a gabaergic herb. I was taking 0.25mg of xanax prn twice per week for panic attacks and am not even sure it was enough to cause a withdrawal or if all my years of 'withdrawal' symptoms are really due to another issue. Anyway I'm having a new issue right now involving back pain and neuropathy pain which apparently never had anything to do with benzos and its really ramping up my anxiety and insomnia. Whenever I miss a night or especially 2 nights of sleep I get really depressed about it and my life is in danger and I start telling people about it, which isn't good. It would be really nice if I could occasionally knock myself out and prevent this from happening. Ambien is the only thing I can remember that really had the power to calm me down and knock me out in any scenario, and also had no side effects the next day.  I wouldn't use it every night just the worst nights when my back is spasming and I can't sleep. How bad would it be if I started using an occasional prn ambien right now? Would it bring back the benzo withdrawal from 7 years ago (that I'm not even sure I had)?

Ambien is a sedative-hypnotic. it targets GABA. Nobody can tell you "how bad it would be" or if it "would bring back benzo withdrawal." These drugs are not predictable. There are people who are sent right back to acute like withdrawal from taking a drug years out of benzo withdrawal.

I personally wouldn't touch Ambien or any sleep medication with a ten-foot pole after doing the hard work to get off of benzos and psych meds that you did. No matter how much pain I was in or how much I didn't sleep. But that is me. I don't want potential life-altering side effects from prescription drugs. Some people are OK with that risk. I know these drugs cause what they cure, and I am no longer willing to take a risk. There is no rhyme or reason to using any prescription drugs but especially benzos and psych meds. Sleep meds are in the same category to me. Neurotoxic.

Regarding your comment about withdrawal in quotation marks. Any amount of benzos used for any amount of time can cause acute or protracted withdrawals. If you are doubting or questioning your own experience, that is not something I can comment on. 

There are people who took a few doses of a benzo and suffered for years and those who used longer-term and walked off. There are also people who are short-term sleep med users suffering from severe issues from those meds.

Anytime anyone takes a drug, they take a risk. You have to do a cost/benefit analysis to decide what risk you are willing to take. There must be a part of you intuitively hesitating; otherwise, you wouldn't have posted and asked this. Listen to your intuition above all else.

I concur, Ambien, a Z-drug, is a just a benzo in disguise and there is no such thing, IMO, as a "weak" Benzo or a "small dose."  All Benzos down regulate GABA and can cause major issues years and years after being off.  Everyone is different, so you do what is best for you.

The real danger is not in what one or two doses of Ambien might do to you but how many times might you actually end up taking it. Once in a while can easily turn into what got so many of us into trouble in the first place. Bad shoulder pain preventing sleep is one of the reasons why I ended up taking too much Ambien (which is not intended for pain). Hopefully you can find something else to help with your back and neuropathy. Some people find results with THC gummies before bed.

By the way "Ambien is just a benzo" is not entirely accurate. It's receptor affinity changes at at different doses kind of like an antidepressant.  It only becomes a full benzo at high doses but at low doses it only affects a certain subunit of the receptors. In not saying it's harmless but it's not quite the same. I withdrew from anbien once and it was super easy with no symptoms except maybe some increased anxiety.  I don't think I even missed a night of sleep.  I'm not sure if it would be drastically different now due to kindling though. Since reading about kindling I have this fear that if I take just one dose of ambien my nervous system will freak out and suddenly be back in full blown *xanax* withdrawal from 6 years ago.  I'm not sure if that's actually how it works or an irrational fear though

Unfortunately, nobody can tell you. Probably better to be safe than sorry. Hope things go well for you whatever you decide. I don't think there are irrational fears when it comes to prescription drugs. They have consequences for anyone who takes them. It could take years to catch up with a person. They may not even know it. We live in a society that doesn't acknowledge drug effects so doctors and patients don't recognize them.

My situation is a bit similar. I had been off Ambien since 2016. The insomnia was/is unrelenting. I have been rotating several drugs in an attempt to get any sleep. About 6 months ago, I reinstated Ambien when side effect of the other go to drug became really rough. I only use 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet and for a maximum of 5 nights in a row. Then I rotate off the Ambien to mirtazapine, Quviviq or Seriquil for a week or longer.

Thus far, I have been successful with the 2.5 mg of Ambien and have had absolutely no issues stopping the drug. I am determined not to increase the dosage higher than 2.5 mg as I sure don't want to become addicted and tolerant like I was 7 years ago.

This is just my situation and you will have to determine which course of action you feel is best.

I certainly wish you well.

Ambien is a sedative-hypnotic. it targets GABA. Nobody can tell you "how bad it would be" or if it "would bring back benzo withdrawal." These drugs are not predictable. There are people who are sent right back to acute like withdrawal from taking a drug years out of benzo withdrawal.

I personally wouldn't touch Ambien or any sleep medication with a ten-foot pole after doing the hard work to get off of benzos and psych meds that you did. No matter how much pain I was in or how much I didn't sleep. But that is me. I don't want potential life-altering side effects from prescription drugs. Some people are OK with that risk. I know these drugs cause what they cure, and I am no longer willing to take a risk. There is no rhyme or reason to using any prescription drugs but especially benzos and psych meds. Sleep meds are in the same category to me. Neurotoxic.

Regarding your comment about withdrawal in quotation marks. Any amount of benzos used for any amount of time can cause acute or protracted withdrawals. If you are doubting or questioning your own experience, that is not something I can comment on. 

There are people who took a few doses of a benzo and suffered for years and those who used longer-term and walked off. There are also people who are short-term sleep med users suffering from severe issues from those meds.

Anytime anyone takes a drug, they take a risk. You have to do a cost/benefit analysis to decide what risk you are willing to take. There must be a part of you intuitively hesitating; otherwise, you wouldn't have posted and asked this. Listen to your intuition above all else.

Well said, i still have brain injury, messed up sleep, exploding head syndrome and a few more 20 months after 3 weeks on a low dose, wouldnt poke these demon pills with a stick after this experience, throw gasoline onthem and burn them!

I am actually kinda offended anyone would post something like this in the insomnia forum were many are suffering greatly from the damage of these shit pills, like wtf our sleep got slammed to barely liveable sometimes for yrs, so go away with such kinda wtf questions

I am actually kinda offended anyone would post sometching like this in the insomnia forum were many are suffering greatly from the damage of these shit pills, like wtf our sleep got slammed to barely liveable sometimes for yrs, so go away with such kinda wtf questions

Heyilona, the OP has every right to ask this and its a good question, this is what we’re here for, to throw idea’s out there and to get feedback.  Yours isn’t helpful and feels judgemental, I understand of course, you’re in pain, everyone one is but taking that pain out on another member isn’t what we do.

Pamster

I am actually kinda offended anyone would post sometching like this in the insomnia forum were many are suffering greatly from the damage of these shit pills, like wtf our sleep got slammed to barely liveable sometimes for yrs, so go away with such kinda wtf questions

Heyilona, the OP has every right to ask this and its a good question, this is what we’re here for, to throw idea’s out there and to get feedback.  Yours isn’t helpful and feels judgemental, I understand of course, you’re in pain, everyone one is but taking that pain out on another member isn’t what we do.

Pamster

Sounds to me like AlienResources already made-up his or her mind and is just seeking validation. To me this is like someone going into an AA meeting and asking if it is okay to have just one drink a night.

Sounds to me like AlienResources already made-up his or her mind .

I have not

this is like someone going into an AA meeting and asking if it is okay to have just one drink a night.

I'm sure this gets asked all the time. And I wonder if some places the answer may even be yes.  There is a program called "moderation management"

Pamster

Sounds to me like AlienResources already made-up his or her mind and is just seeking validation. To me this is like someone going into an AA meeting and asking if it is okay to have just one drink a night.

Thanks for explaining it exactely like what i was trying to say, hence my tone of voice

Sounds to me like AlienResources already made-up his or her mind .

I have not

this is like someone going into an AA meeting and asking if it is okay to have just one drink a night.

I'm sure this gets asked all the time. And I wonder if some places the answer may even be yes.  There is a program called "moderation management"

AlienResources,

Many, if not most of us here have learned that sleep medications are not the road to take but if you want to take that turn I wish you the best of luck.

Most people on the insomnia board ended up with mild to severe insomnia from after tapering off or going CT from Z-drugs, such as Ambien, or Benzos.  Since everyone is different, the only way to truly discover something you want answers to is via trial and error.  However, as many have said, asking to go back on a Z-drug or Benzo sporadically is, in our minds, like asking if its safe to randomly take rat poison.  You may very well do just fine taking random doses, but others may not fare as well and in my experience do not.  That's why I always say do what is best for you.  If you had a super easy time coming off of Ambien in the past, then experimentation, which I would advise against, IMO, is probably the next step for you?  Good luck.

I will put in my two cents for what it is worth.  Of course, in the end, this is your decision, but I want you to know my experience.  Got off Ativan in 2006 with an 18 month taper and a few months of symptoms after that.    13 years later I took a few Ambien and it threw me back into where I am now....38 months of a really, really tough recovery.