Conspiracy theory got me thinking....

[Ha...]

Obviously too much time on my hands and a brain injury leads to some overthinking 😃.

So... Someone said to me earlier that the reason prescriptions for antidepressants have tripled over the last 20 years is "they" want everyone dumbed down. I laughed as you do. But now I'm thinking. It's not beyond the realms of possibility is it?

I think it's just about money and quick fixes/consumerism.

I don't think schools dumb you down. I'm not from an American school system though but I learned a lot.

Psychotropics have certainly been used to retaliate, control and silence dissent, as well as quell trauma survivors, along with involuntary commitment. Of course there is a greed component, but perhaps an added benefit of suppressing the masses from rising up during a time of increasing authoritarianism, or even just a means to keep people from connecting the dots with so much readily available data and reporting in the digital age. So, not so far fetched and I don’t think you are conspiratoral. All of them essentially tranquilize us to a degree - just think of the heightened awareness and memories that come flooding back once off of them.

• 3 weeks later...

It's not up to Big Pharma to dumb us all down.

That's the job of the schools and television.

Some times I really wish this site had a “like” button. Or better yet “agree”.

The same people that own big pharma own media.  CNN used to relegate the pharma ads to the commercial break.  Now they just bring on the CEOs to pump their poisons during the news segments (all throughout the pandemic).  Blackrock, State Street, and Vanguard own everything.  They set the narrative. 

Is it not curious that we are 50 times more informed about these drugs than the doctors handing them out?  BB has been around for 20 years.  You would think the collective scream here would have made main stream news long ago in a free market.  But the fact is big pharma spends billions to marginalize us and to keep doctors misinformed and biased. 

Then there is the natural incentive that doctors enjoy.  Send you off to a counselor for your crisis: never see you again.  Prescribe you a benzo: see you regularly for never-ending refills and 'treatment' for all the other mysterious ailments that suddenly appear.  It is a sick world we live in. 

• Like 1

It's not up to Big Pharma to dumb us all down.

That's the job of the schools and television.

Some times I really wish this site had a “like” button. Or better yet “agree”.

Sure but still, it's a money thing and a "subscription" service but many doctors do know to some extent. Plus doctors don't really know about any meds, pharmacists are a lot more knowledgeable about that. I mean, everyone can invest in Blackrock etc. Doesn't mean they won't end up here.

I've always been puzzled by those television commercials for drugs with weird unpronounceable names, where all they say is "Ask your doctor about (....)" or "Ask your doctor if (....) is right for you", without even telling us what condition that drug treats. Do they seriously expect us to jot down the name of that drug, and then ask our doctor about it at our next appointment? Like "Hey Doc! Is Xiazipaditchadormarama right for me? And by the way, what the heck is it for?" If I ever wasted my doctor's time with a question like that, he would instantly perform a digital rectal exam on me - with his big toe. It just ain't gonna happen. So what's the point of those commercials?

I have heard some very bright and well-informed people speculate that those seemingly pointless commercials are actually the way Big Pharma buys off Big Media, to keep them off their backs, to keep them from investigating and reporting on Big Pharma and all their shams and scams and scandals. Those commercials don't actually inform the consumer or sell the product. They are simply disguised bribes.

That explanation does go a long way toward explaining the reluctance of Big Media to investigate and report on Big Pharma. But of course, it's just a conspiracy theory.

• Like 1

Ooh but the US seems insane in those commercials. We have a lot less of them and basically only for OTC stuff like ibuprofen or something.

Big pharma and the government work closely together. Of course they want us dumbed down.

Just take a look at who actually manufactures Xanax.

• Like 1

Big pharma and the government work closely together. Of course they want us dumbed down.

Just take a look at who actually manufactures Xanax.