Medicaid & Compounding Pharmacies

[Fi...]

I'm on 5 mg of DZ, and apparently one can get it in liquid form.  Looking for a pharmacy that takes Medicaid in New York.

You do not need a compounding pharmacy to obtain the commercially manufactured 5mg/5mL oral diazepam solution (see link to the FDA drug label from one of the manufacturer’s below).  All you need is a prescription from your prescriber and a pharmacy that is willing to stock and dispense it.  For example, I’ve read that some of our members obtain the manufacturer’s liquid from their local Walmart pharmacy.

Does New York Medicaid have an online database of medications for which it will pay?  If so, have you checked it to verify that commercially manufactured solution is covered?  Alternatively, your local pharmacist should be able to check this for you.

Link:

DailyMed - DIAZEPAM solution

5mg/5mL oral diazepam solution | Hikma

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=9e85abed-1a8b-4762-a31f-f2c7f196b8af

If I don't need a compounding pharmacy for the liquid valium - how is it dispensed?  In a bottle with an eye dropper?

This would be an excellent question to ask the pharmacist.

I do not have personal experience with this particular formulation.  However, my guess is many pharmacists will dispense it in an amber (or dark blue) glass or plastic bottle.  A patient-centered pharmacist will provide a push-in syringe adapter for the bottle, several appropriately sized and graduated oral syringes as well as instructions on how to use these devices to measure your dose(s).