Anyone recover while on propranolol/beta blocker

[ty...]

13 months off……still on propranolol……only med or supplement I’m on…..I’m fairly certain it’s safe….looking for some who have recovered while on it…..thanks!

I haven’t read any posts that mention propranolol getting in the way of recovery, do you take it for your blood pressure?

I take it cause when I first jumped in May of 2022 I developed akathisia…..propranolol immediately stopped it…I tried to go off about a month later and the aka came back…..so, I have been on the propranolol since (about a year)…..I started at 60 mg but have tapered down to only 20 mg…..I plan to go off…..concerned about the aka returning. Not sure how long aka usually lasts…..also, concerned the propranolol could prevent the aka from healing…..just don’t know?

I have not…..I’m a bit surprised there aren’t more people who use prop for aka…..it’d be nice to have some anecdotal evidence that it worked out and the aka went away…..isn’t akathisia quite common in benzo withdrawal?

I’m glad to hear you haven’t had a return of the akathisia.  I think benzo withdrawal might mimic akathisia but I thought you saw that more with drugs like Seroquel.

I definitely had akathisia and from what I understand it’s quite common in benzo withdrawal…..it’s like being plugged into an electrical outlet…..can’t sit, pacing, constantly fidgeting…..easily the worst feeling I’ve ever had in my life…..it’s terrifying.

I didn’t mean to imply you didn’t experience it, I do know it can happen.  I had some of what you felt, the electrical feeling, not being able to sit still, the body ticks and inner trembling but it wasn’t like the video’s I’ve seen thank goodness.  I can see why you don’t want a return of that but your reduction of the propranolol looks like it won’t mean a return of it for you, I hope so anyway.

13 months off……still on propranolol……only med or supplement I’m on…..I’m fairly certain it’s safe….looking for some who have recovered while on it…..thanks!

No drug is "safe." That would be like saying a certain neighborhood is safe. You know what I mean? You cannot define safety or assure safety -- especially with drugs. AND if you are going to choose one drug to be on during benzo withdrawal and one drug for akathisia (despite no scientifically proven effective treatments or cures), Propranolol, a beta-blocker for most people, causes the least CNS interruptions and further harm. That being said, I am sure if you look you can find someone who has been harmed by it because, well, anything is possible in life. But if you have not and it has helped, that is good data to focus on.

There aren't evidence-based treatments for akathisia. However, Propranolol is known as a "first-line treatment" for it, and I have seen success stories in online groups. (The best clinical data there is, IMO.) There is limited data on the effectiveness of Propranolol, but doctors love to use it. The good news is that this is the only drug you are on. Thank GOD they did not put you on a psych med to try to treat it.

Akathisia does best when you don't throw the medicine cabinet at it. It is grueling to endure, so I understand totally why you took the Propranolol.

Benzos are common akathisia instigators, as are anticholinergics, antidepressants, and antipsychotics -- over 200 meds can cause akathisia, including nausea and migraine meds.

If it has not returned and you have tapered the Propranolol, this seems promising. You can go slowly; take your time. I understand your fear. I have akathisia, and it is a lurking beast. It feels like a crouching demon ready to pounce. It is a hell you don't know unless you know it.

I know someone who had severe akathisia and dystonic movement disorders from benzos and psych meds and used Propranolol for four years and healed. This person was severely polypharmacied with underlying conditions. And this person was on 120mg of Propranolol. Tapered with no resurgence of symptoms. Now has windows and waves at five years. But like five months of no symptoms type of windows -- good ones! Where literally every nervous symptom issue completely disappears. This person has waves also.

I know people who are on drugs that cause akathisia and who have experienced remission -- Chris Paige is one of those people. Not a fan of his, and everyone always talks about him. I am glad he is better, but I am not going to tell you to call him...like people always tell me because I know what he will say. Another person I know was on Remeron with akathisia for nine months. Remeron is a known akathisia instigator. And this person is still on Remeron and tapering a benzo, and the akathisia has been gone...Nicole Lamberson reinstated a benzo after 11 months of foot bleeding akathisia, and she slowly tapered it, and it didn't come back. (I am not suggesting reinstatement as a solution...but VERY happy it worked for her.)

All this to say that there are plenty of stories.......you will have yours. And hopefully, someone will need to hear it someday for the hope you can get from others success stories.

Rebecca

Thanks for the thoughtful response. The reality is that no one knows how these meds actually work or will affect each person. I have spoken to Chris (many times), Jenn Leigh, Baylissa, Nicole Cain and have seen a well respected neurologist that specializes in movement disorders. Everyone has an opinion but the reality is this is trial and error. Clearly the best solution is to be off all meds and allow yourself to heal, for me this wasn't an option. Had I not gone on propranolol I would have lost alot......as you know, there is no work or life while in the throws of akathisia. This has allowed me to live life and hope that it works out. I certainly empathize with your situation, you are in a very difficult spot. Some would say ride it out and it will go away, which was the case with Chris......then taper the seroquel slowly once youve stabilized. Other would say get off it as quickly as possible and some would say just to taper it slowly. Obviously, you need to be your own advocate and do what you feel is best for you.........if it were me id want to get off as well. In addition to the aka, I also have tinnitus (and other weird ear issues), insomnia, inner vibrations (less frequent), hypnic jerks....the GI stuff has subsided........its all awful but i hear we all heal.....it just takes too long.

Propranolol, even at low doses, made me feel really down and dull.  But, it didn’t give me a setback or anything.  Once it wore off that feeling went away.

I didn’t mean to imply you didn’t experience it, I do know it can happen.  I had some of what you felt, the electrical feeling, not being able to sit still, the body ticks and inner trembling but it wasn’t like the video’s I’ve seen thank goodness.  I can see why you don’t want a return of that but your reduction of the propranolol looks like it won’t mean a return of it for you, I hope so anyway.

I have the electrical current, restlessness thing.  But, that is different than akathisia.  Knock on wood, but the only time I’ve had akathisia was when trying an antidepressant in this, and it was terrifying for a day.  Just an uncontrollable urge to move accompanied by high anxiety.

I developed aka for a few weeks. I c/t’d 4 days off a 1mg Ativan dose. Then underdosed for 3 more days before fully reinstating back to stabilize. It is by far one of by big fears of coming back as i taper. I went on Atenolol which i think is very similar. I have tapered from 10mg Ambien to 0 and transitioned my 1mg Ativan over to 7mg Valium with no bad w/d’s to speak of. I plan on staying on Atenolol long term as i was always pre hypertension range. Unless my BP makes big changes when i have fully completed my benzo taper.