trip to Amsterdam

[1d...]

[1d...]

I have been off benzo's for 1 month and 15 days now. At the one month mark I was in Amsterdam for a concert and... I actually had fun? I was enjoying the music without any anxiety and was genuinely feeling happy.

this seems so small but I actually started tearing up a bit. I'm still not recovered but I am finally feeling a bit optimistic about my healing journey.

I wish you all a speedy recovery x

Isn’t hope wonderful?  I’m so glad you enjoyed yourself but I’m especially pleased to know you’re feeling optimistic, one of many emotions that go missing when we’re dealing with benzo withdrawal.

I have been off benzo's for 1 month and 15 days now. At the one month mark I was in Amsterdam for a concert and... I actually had fun? I was enjoying the music without any anxiety and was genuinely feeling happy.

this seems so small but I actually started tearing up a bit. I'm still not recovered but I am finally feeling a bit optimistic about my healing journey.

Lisa,

Congrats on the trip.  I just got back last night from a 4 day trip to a destination wedding on a tropical island.  I tried to back out a couple weeks ago but it would have been bad (no not my wedding).  I was a groomsman and backing out would have damaged an important relationship.  I had extreme anxiety about it for weeks.  Had to go get the suit which turned into a 4 hour ordeal and 2 back-and-forth trips to the mall.  Then I had to book the flights, hotel, car, etc. 

When I finally dragged myself to the airport it was less terrifying than I imagined.  I had a 6 hour flight followed by another one hour flight.  On the six hour flight I had a screaming toddler behind me kicking my seat the entire way, and another screamer in front of me.  While miserable I just accepted it and didn't react. 

The trip ended up a success and my important relationship saved.  I even took a dip in the tropical water and spent an afternoon on the sand.  While it was difficult to get going I'm glad I did.  I'm 2 1/2 months into a near CT from Lorazepam.  I hope I can keep this momentum up and push myself back into basic routines. 

J

[1d...]

Lisa,

Congrats on the trip.  I just got back last night from a 4 day trip to a destination wedding on a tropical island.  I tried to back out a couple weeks ago but it would have been bad (no not my wedding).  I was a groomsman and backing out would have damaged an important relationship.  I had extreme anxiety about it for weeks.  Had to go get the suit which turned into a 4 hour ordeal and 2 back-and-forth trips to the mall.  Then I had to book the flights, hotel, car, etc. 

When I finally dragged myself to the airport it was less terrifying than I imagined.  I had a 6 hour flight followed by another one hour flight.  On the six hour flight I had a screaming toddler behind me kicking my seat the entire way, and another screamer in front of me.  While miserable I just accepted it and didn't react. 

The trip ended up a success and my important relationship saved.  I even took a dip in the tropical water and spent an afternoon on the sand.  While it was difficult to get going I'm glad I did.  I'm 2 1/2 months into a near CT from Lorazepam.  I hope I can keep this momentum up and push myself back into basic routines. 

J

That’s amazing Jonyob! I am happy to hear about your improvement!

This is wonderful, Lisaaaa4! Optimism and being able to enjoy yourself are definitely things we lose during benzo wd. The fact that these things returned, even temporarily, is a definite sign of healing. Glad you were able to enjoy a concert!

You guys gave me a big push. I'm flying overseas in two weeks and I ‘was not sure about going or not. I've been in a long year tapering after reinstatement.

I reached a very low dose and it started to be hectic to a point that I was going to cancel the dream trip of my wife. She arranged everything for a week vacation in Greece. She started to be really annoyed with my attitude to postpone it. It will really have an impact in my marriage if I decided not to go. I think when people tell us that we are very fixated and obsessed with what is happening to us, they are right. We can't ignore we 've been affected with what we took, and most relatives and friends don't understand. But I have to admit that coming here to BB  very often and monitoring ourself for symptoms all the time affect us.

In my five-year benzo journey with two years off of it. Most of the time tapering these things, I have traveled a lot, but it is a real challenge when the decision time comes and you need to decide. At the end of the day, I mostly end up biting the the bullet and going.

I know this is more than the benzos themselves. In my case anxiety plays big games with me. I wonder what kind of symptoms you guys’ face before traveling. Are they mostly mental or physical manifestations?

Would appreciate your experience and comments!

Mice

I can relate!! When I was off my taper for about 2 years I needed to fly to New York (from Portland OR) for an important reason: I was up for a book award!! I didn't think I could do it, but a friend went with me and we actually had a pretty good time. Well, I didn't win the award, but I was so glad I went. After years of not being able to do anything like that . . . then flying, staying in a strange hotel, eating strange food, being around so many people. Benzos take our confidence and so many other things from us. What a bite. Kudos to all of us who try!

Katz

At the end of 2022, I spent 2.5 months in India. Which, besides being a horrible idea (the smells of the country can be overbearing, especially with the hypersensitive smell), was a chance to put myself out there, despite the chemical terror and host of other problems. I was horrified in so many ways. But had to be away from family dynamics for a particular reason.

If I'd have known it would be as a tough as it was (which I should have), I probably wouldn't have went. But after it was over, wow was I glad that I did. It was a great decision. The entire time, I took comfort in knowing that I wouldn't ever see the people that I came across again. If you're even thinking of going somewhere... do it!

• 2 weeks later...
[1d...]

This is wonderful, Lisaaaa4! Optimism and being able to enjoy yourself are definitely things we lose during benzo wd. The fact that these things returned, even temporarily, is a definite sign of healing. Glad you were able to enjoy a concert!

Thank you so much! Congrats for being off Benzo's! I hope things are going well for you :)

[1d...]

You guys gave me a big push. I'm flying overseas in two weeks and I ‘was not sure about going or not. I've been in a long year tapering after reinstatement.

I reached a very low dose and it started to be hectic to a point that I was going to cancel the dream trip of my wife. She arranged everything for a week vacation in Greece. She started to be really annoyed with my attitude to postpone it. It will really have an impact in my marriage if I decided not to go. I think when people tell us that we are very fixated and obsessed with what is happening to us, they are right. We can't ignore we 've been affected with what we took, and most relatives and friends don't understand. But I have to admit that coming here to BB  very often and monitoring ourself for symptoms all the time affect us.

In my five-year benzo journey with two years off of it. Most of the time tapering these things, I have traveled a lot, but it is a real challenge when the decision time comes and you need to decide. At the end of the day, I mostly end up biting the the bullet and going.

I know this is more than the benzos themselves. In my case anxiety plays big games with me. I wonder what kind of symptoms you guys’ face before traveling. Are they mostly mental or physical manifestations?

Would appreciate your experience and comments!

Mice

I hope you were able to go on your trip! If not, I'm sure you will have amazing travels in the future. Keep up! You're doing amazing wow!

[1d...]

I can relate!! When I was off my taper for about 2 years I needed to fly to New York (from Portland OR) for an important reason: I was up for a book award!! I didn't think I could do it, but a friend went with me and we actually had a pretty good time. Well, I didn't win the award, but I was so glad I went. After years of not being able to do anything like that . . . then flying, staying in a strange hotel, eating strange food, being around so many people. Benzos take our confidence and so many other things from us. What a bite. Kudos to all of us who try!

Katz

Exactly! I think you are all so brave. This is not an easy process but we're still fighting hard to reclaim our lives. Nice to hear that you were able to enjoy that tip :)