V taper help

[ca...]

Hi There,

I just need some support. I had high hopes of feeling better bc I did crossover from K to V. On my way to taper soon.

I'm on 40 mg V daily, which began Friday 5/12.

Its 15 am

10 afternoon

15 night

The crossover went well, did for 2 months. mostly, Very functional. A few bad days but I can't complain.

Now all of a sudden on day 5 of this new plan I feel awful! Why? Is my body just reacting to the lack of K?  I know V is supposed to cover it,  but they are 2 different benzos.

any feedback appreciated

thank you,

Cali

The Valium is supposed to cover the Klonopin yes, but think about the mechanics of this, how the Valium has to build up as the Klonopin leaves your system, we can’t time this perfectly, there are too many variables.  And, did you get the equivalent right for you, who knows?  And just the difference in the two medications, I’m told Valium has a totally different effect from Klonopin so there’s that.

Crossovers are challenging but I’ve heard that once you get everything in place, its a much better way to taper.

Thank you Pamster for your reply.

That is a great perspective to look at this with.

I have heard that too. Hard to know when I should begin the taper.

Pamster,

No, much better. Thank you for asking. It was really just a day or 2 of feeling bad.

I meet with Dr.this  Weds Am, and I am wondering if I should hold here for a bit or start the taper?

Thank you :)

Cali

I understand no one what's best per se, but any opinions?

How bad do you feel?  We say when you’re stable, it’s time to make a reduction but we define stable as able to take care of your duties like showering or fixing a simple meal or your symptoms have stopped changing drastically, it doesn’t mean feeling good.  Do you consider yourself stable?

Hi,

Yes I can do daily tasks, work and all I need to do. I guess I keep hoping I’ll feel good.

My dr has suggested last visit that we start tapering this week at 1 mg a week for 2 weeks and check in  again. My guess is she will suggest this tomorrow.

I think that might be ok- that would be 10% reduction for a month. It will be an ongoing assessment and symptom led , but it’s nerve wracking. And I know how long this will be of a process. Anyone has luck moving quicker?

It sounds like its time to start your taper, you’re functional which is the most we can hope for until you’re free of the drug and recovered from your use.

I like that you’ve already made your mind up to use your symptoms to guide your taper.  There is no way to move quicker unless you’re willing to become incapacitated, and even that won’t help because you can get quickly off the drug but you’ll still face months of recovery.  It’s best to taper slowly to allow for healing as you remove the drug, using it to mitigate your symptoms.

Hi Pamster,

thank you. I started taper today! Yay!

I only went down 1 mg on am dose, so I'm on 39 mg, instead of 40mg a day- but that's a start. Less is good!

I will do this for 2 weeks and see how I feel. I'm thinking of another 1 mg cut in 2 weeks if this goes well - I meet with dr every 2 weeks so we decide together.

My Dr. recommended lavender for anxiety symptoms and I know it is not FDA-approved, , but wondered if anyone happen to try it.

I'm trying tea first, organic chamomile and lavender tea.

Thank you :)

I love your enthusiasm, I can tell you want this and that’s important because your commitment will be tested as your taper progresses.

I didn’t taper but I’m told the higher doses are a bit easier to taper from so if you feel good with this first reduction, you may be able to reduce 2 mgs next time.  But, you using your symptoms is the best way to go about this.

Cocodot,

That's great it worked for you!

May I ask if you take a supplement or use it on skin?  It does smell lovely !

I don't take a supplement. I have a bundle of dried lavender under my pillow and I often smell the essential oil as it's calming. I use it in the bath as well but I don't rub it often on my skin. More like smell it. Smelling is the I don't know how to say this in English but out of smelling, tasting, seeing, touching, etc. Smelling is the one thing that stimulates the brain most.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I hope you all are hanging in there! :)

Is there anyone that can help with the math ( chart) of what percentage of cuts I would be making I've read less than 10% is ideal.

I'm thinking of reducing 1 mg every 2 weeks. ( flexible of course based on how I feel) or open to suggestions if once a month is better. seems day 10 it hits me for some moderate symptoms ( increase anxiety) with the one cut I've made so far.

Right now on 39 mg Valium and ready to make next reduction. I am looking to see what that would look like until I'm down to 20 mg/day.

Math is so stressful for me!!!

I don't want to hang out on Valium too long but also don't want to go faster than my body is able to and function.

Thank you all soooo much :)

I’m not quite sure what math help you need, are your pills 2 mg?  Can you cut them in half to get the dose you need? 

I’m glad you’re not going to rush this, you’re smart to let your body direct your taper schedule. 

If you tapered to 36mg Valium that would be a 7.6% cut from 39mg.  I am terrible at Math too and this calculator below has saved me!!

Here is a calculator that a very smart buddie from here sent me:  https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/algebra/percent-change-calculator.php

Hello,

I hope you all are hanging in there! :)

Is there anyone that can help with the math ( chart) of what percentage of cuts I would be making I've read less than 10% is ideal.

I'm thinking of reducing 1 mg every 2 weeks. ( flexible of course based on how I feel) or open to suggestions if once a month is better. seems day 10 it hits me for some moderate symptoms ( increase anxiety) with the one cut I've made so far.

Right now on 39 mg Valium and ready to make next reduction. I am looking to see what that would look like until I'm down to 20 mg/day.

Math is so stressful for me!!!

I don't want to hang out on Valium too long but also don't want to go faster than my body is able to and function.

Thank you all soooo much :)

thank you!! I love that calculator! lifesaver. I've heard recommendations are now less than 10% a month, is that accurate?

would take a LONG time at 2 mg/month from 38 mg- concern would be hitting tolerance. Thoughts?

I wasn't sure if I dared to make a 2 mg cut and I felt awful, if it's ok to go back to a 1 mg cut, or if we are supposed to ride it out? If that makes sense.

I'm on 38mg now, wondering if I should try a 2 mg cut for 2 weeks next? Feeling good ( relative right?) from the last 1 mg cut on 6/10 and trying to see if I have a pattern of when it" hits " me after each cut. Last cut of 1 mg, I felt at around day 10-day13.  Thank you all!!!!

thank you!! I love that calculator! lifesaver. I've heard recommendations are now less than 10% a month, is that accurate?

would take a LONG time at 2 mg/month from 38 mg- concern would be hitting tolerance. Thoughts?

I wasn't sure if I dared to make a 2 mg cut and I felt awful, if it's ok to go back to a 1 mg cut, or if we are supposed to ride it out? If that makes sense.

I'm on 38mg now, wondering if I should try a 2 mg cut for 2 weeks next? Feeling good ( relative right?) from the last 1 mg cut on 6/10 and trying to see if I have a pattern of when it" hits " me after each cut. Last cut of 1 mg, I felt at around day 10-day13.  Thank you all!!!!

I haven't heard the recommendations changing to less then 10% a month.  Can you share where you heard this? I would love to read anything new on Benzo tapering.

Regarding the next cut, I was just sharing the calculator with you as It's helped me so much!  You will have to taper based on your symptoms and what your body is telling you.

I used to feel symptoms from a taper at 4-5 days after I cut, now it's moved to 9 days after!  Which caught me off guard, so I am going to make some changes now.  For me, this tapering process has been one long experiment in which I am the lab rat!

Hugs to you!!

I like cooper5’s take on tapering, using symptoms as a guide and making adjustments when she notices changing reactions to the taper.  Guidelines are nice to have as a general map but tuning your taper to meet your body’s reactions is the way to go.  :thumbsup:

Edit: Grammar

Hey Cooper 5!

Yes love the calculator. thank you so much

i know we are all different and my dr is allowing me to go as slow as i want but:

Long story short;

after crossover from Klonopin 1.5.day, i landed on 40 mg of valium- benzo aware presciber.

went from 40-39mg- smooth sailing until day 10- boom!High anxiety and felt crappy. Still functioning fine but just very anxious. That lasted about 4/5 days then fine again. a

Then went from 39 to 38- the same thing- smooth, day 10 comes and anxiety hits! I'm at 38 mg now.

Is it possible I'n going TOO slow?

How would reducing 1 mg affect me so much :(

I don’t think you’re going too slow if you’re dealing with intense symptoms, this is how it goes.  If your symptoms get more intense, you may need to only reduce by .5 mg, its all about staying functional as you rid yourself of the drug because after you’re benzo free, there is recovery.  Might as well use the drug to mitigate your symptoms as you taper because once you’re off, you won’t have it to help.