Does CBD aggravate some people?

[jo...]

I'm two months into a rapid taper / ct.  I took ativan for 35 days getting up to .75mg for just two days before starting an aggressive 10 day taper.  I made it through acute but insomnia is now a big issue for me.  If I get upset by anything I get a big wave of symptoms.  I bought some cbd gummies because of a recommendation by a guy on YouTue who was having success off xanax getting some sleep with CBD. 

The first time I took it last week I ended up taking two because the first one didn't work soon enough.  Bad idea.  I feel like there was more than just CBD in there.  My anxiety went UP and lasted through the next day. 

Last night I decided to try again but with just one gummy.  Same effect.  Wound up all night without a wink of sleep.  Is that a known issue with CBD, that it can make it worse?

Family and friends are starting to worry.  I've been bedridden since the CT.  I'm struggling to do basic stuff.  New symptoms showing up now.  Metallic mouth, worsening AKA, and more.  If I end up in emergency room to reinstate what should I expect?  Should I reinstate on the same benzo (ativan).  Should I start small like .25 and see if that stabilizes.  I don't want to reinstate and have read all the reasons not to, but if this keeps digressing I don't know what to do.  Will the ER help me reinstate or just pass me off to a psych ward?

Update:

I got some sleep last night which I didn't think would happen.  Feeling much better today.  In this frame of mind reinstatement is not an option.  The key for me is sleep.  Hope I can get some more tonight.

J

Isn’t it amazing what a little sleep can do?  If we could only sleep through this, maybe we could fight the fear and pain a little better. 

Isn’t it amazing what a little sleep can do?  If we could only sleep through this, maybe we could fight the fear and pain a little better.

How is your sleep nowadays Pam?

I’ve never been good at sleep, I’ve reached for alcohol, benzo’s and z-drugs chasing it, but now I just accept what I get and its enough because drugs aren’t my answer.  Age tends to bring on more sleep issues, now I’ve got aches and pains that keep me from having good sleep but I accept that too.  Life is good, I’m so grateful to be free of Klonopin and Ambien.

I’ve never been good at sleep, I’ve reached for alcohol, benzo’s and z-drugs chasing it, but now I just accept what I get and its enough because drugs aren’t my answer.  Age tends to bring on more sleep issues, now I’ve got aches and pains that keep me from having good sleep but I accept that too.  Life is good, I’m so grateful to be free of Klonopin and Ambien.

Thank you Pam.  Do you feel recovered from your benzo use?  Cognition, memory, focus, etc?  I have a very technical job and I'm struggling 2 months out since CT.  Wondering if it will get better with time.  If I get some sleep I can function within reason but if no sleep I struggle quite a bit. 

J

When I declared myself recovered, I felt totally normal with no loss of cognitive function, no PTSD, no setbacks, it was if it never happened.  It’s crazy how going through the worst experience of my life completely disappeared when I recovered.  I predict the same for you.  :thumbsup:

When I declared myself recovered, I felt totally normal with no loss of cognitive function, no PTSD, no setbacks, it was if it never happened.  It’s crazy how going through the worst experience of my life completely disappeared when I recovered.  I predict the same for you.  :thumbsup:

Thank you Pam.  Your stewardship is greatly appreciated.  :smitten:

I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. You have not been off long, and things should improve with time. We just don't know how much time. If you go to an ER they won't have a solution other than to give you benzos or antipsychotics or other drugs that can cause Akathisia to get worse. I have it, I know. I am glad you are sleeping or lying down at all with it. Some people cannot do this.

CBD can be tricky. I took some with 5% THC and had an acute dystonic reaction six months off of benzos. I know this isn't common, but I wanted to tell you to be careful with the gummies.

The Akathisa I have has worsened with tapering Seroquel given to me during benzo wd for sleep. By a hospital BTW. Which I wish I had stayed out of. I had insomnia for two weeks, panicked, and ran to the ER. And yes, I was passed to a psych ward. Thank GOD I did not take all the other meds they tried to throw at me. If I had known sleep would eventually return, I would have made a different decision. Tapering Seroquel has been a worse nightmare than the benzos. I was considering reinstating with Valium to taper the Seroquel but, thankfully, did not do this.

(You can see I was posting about it on BB.)

I met someone with Akathisia who reinstated six months after benzo rapid cessation to taper the offending medication, Mirtazapine then got off the offending medication; the Akathisia went away for five days, then came back with a vengeance. Now this person had to reinstate the Mirt and is stuck back on a benzo AND on Mirtazapine. That can happen. It is terrifying because the person can also hit tolerance on the benzo, which stops working. If you are OK with that risk then that is one thing, but that sounds like more hell to me.

There are some cases where reinstatement works, but they are fewer and farther from what I have seen. And I research a lot. Emma Saunders had Akathisia after a horrific benzo rapid cessation, was put in psych wards and poly pharmacies there. She reinstated Ativan months later, and it worked:

I am avoiding all psych meds and benzos like the plague at this point.

I have been researching alternative options for Akathisia. This might help you if you have not seen it: https://liondiet.com/how-we-cured-treated-suicidal-akathisia/

I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. You have not been off long, and things should improve with time. We just don't know how much time. If you go to an ER they won't have a solution other than to give you benzos or antipsychotics or other drugs that can cause Akathisia to get worse. I have it, I know. I am glad you are sleeping or lying down at all with it. Some people cannot do this.

CBD can be tricky. I took some with 5% THC and had an acute dystonic reaction six months off of benzos. I know this isn't common, but I wanted to tell you to be careful with the gummies.

The Akathisa I have has worsened with tapering Seroquel given to me during benzo wd for sleep. By a hospital BTW. Which I wish I had stayed out of. I had insomnia for two weeks, panicked, and ran to the ER. And yes, I was passed to a psych ward. Thank GOD I did not take all the other meds they tried to throw at me. If I had known sleep would eventually return, I would have made a different decision. Tapering Seroquel has been a worse nightmare than the benzos. I was considering reinstating with Valium to taper the Seroquel but, thankfully, did not do this.

(You can see I was posting about it on BB.)

I met someone with Akathisia who reinstated six months after benzo rapid cessation to taper the offending medication, Mirtazapine then got off the offending medication; the Akathisia went away for five days, then came back with a vengeance. Now this person had to reinstate the Mirt and is stuck back on a benzo AND on Mirtazapine. That can happen. It is terrifying because the person can also hit tolerance on the benzo, which stops working. If you are OK with that risk then that is one thing, but that sounds like more hell to me.

There are some cases where reinstatement works, but they are fewer and farther from what I have seen. And I research a lot. Emma Saunders had Akathisia after a horrific benzo rapid cessation, was put in psych wards and poly pharmacies there. She reinstated Ativan months later, and it worked:

I am avoiding all psych meds and benzos like the plague at this point.

I have been researching alternative options for Akathisia. This might help you if you have not seen it: https://liondiet.com/how-we-cured-treated-suicidal-akathisia/

Rebecca,

Thank you for the detailed and thoughtful response.  It's been a week since the CBD and things have calmed down considering the circumstances.  I still have early days symptoms but way better than acute.  Your advice is sound and instincts are correct.  I have always had good instincts about this stuff.  When I had issues in my early 20's I refused meds and opted to quit booze and start running.  This was the right approach and led to healing and prosperity. 

It was insomnia that brought me to my doctor about 6 years back.  I didn't go to a shrink because I didn't trust them from previous experiences. 

I was struggling with insomnia during a death in the family and immense career stress.  I thought a sleep aid couldn't hurt.  I'd heard of xanax but had no idea what  lorazepam was.    Had he said it was just like xanax I would have walked out right then. 

Because I was able to cold turkey after a few weeks use each time (i've used it 3 more times since that first use 6 years ago), I thought I could use it strategically when stress / insomnia got out of hand.  Ironically it was unresolved stress caused by withdrawal from the first time I used it. 

Looking back I can see how most of my chronic stress and mild depressive symptoms were simply withdrawal symptoms.  This forum has opened my eyes up wide.  Glad to have found this resource and I am determined to recover and make this the last time.

About you now.  How is your Akathisia?  Any reduction in intensity yet?  I had a mild case for a few hours after the CBD, and my heart definitely goes out to you.  I was agitated and pacing and ready to jump out the window.  I will do anything to avoid that feeling again.  I did watch the Emma Saunders videos.  She had a bad case too.  It was crazy to see how re-instating just 'fixed' it.  Is she going to taper back down again?

Has your research helped you get an idea of how long before you might get any relief? I follow your posts because I want to see you get some relief.  I know you will figure it out. 

We were responsible patients listening to what our supposed 'betters' told us to do.  Turns out many of them are just arrogant hacks that have no idea what wreckage they are causing within their communities, or worse are aware but have psychopathic tendencies driven by greed.  I thought I was safe going to a GP.  I thought wrong.

Following your posts I can see you are devoted to recovery.  I am fully confident you will persevere and I look forward to reading your success story. 

J

CBD is tough for my system. But so is caffeine, alcohol, and gummies with THC. I just have to avoid them like the plague -- my CNS reacts to them very violently.

That's just me -- I feel that at some point, you begin to notice trends and put them together. Now that I know to look for trends, they're much easier to spot, of course. Pick out your aggravating factors and stay away from them.

CBD is tough for my system. But so is caffeine, alcohol, and gummies with THC. I just have to avoid them like the plague -- my CNS reacts to them very violently.

That's just me -- I feel that at some point, you begin to notice trends and put them together. Now that I know to look for trends, they're much easier to spot, of course. Pick out your aggravating factors and stay away from them.

I could drink 4 cups of coffee a day before this recent go around with lorazepam.  Now I can have a cup of tea maybe once every 3-4 days and maybe that's playing with fire.  CBD was a desperate attempt to sleep.  Backfired in a big way and brought about Akathisia which was a very strange experience for me.  I quit drinking when I was in my early 20's. Had no issues till I was prescribed lorazepam which I used short term a few times.  Then I still didn't understand what was happening to me until I found this forum. 

That's great you've been benzo free for a while. Keep it up -- and it does stink, moving into the unknown.

Think about reporting your story to the FDA (or your local regulation agency). We should all consider this to help it become a known issue and protect those after us.

https://www.benzoinfo.com/fda/

I started using CBD oil 3/4 days ago and the relief is out of this world for me. One drop a day or when I need it and virtually all of the excruciating anxiety and depression are gone, my other symptoms are also significantly less for the most part.

I started using CBD oil 3/4 days ago and the relief is out of this world for me. One drop a day or when I need it and virtually all of the excruciating anxiety and depression are gone, my other symptoms are also significantly less for the most part.

Wow. That's incredible. I'm so happy to hear this for you -- hoping it makes your journey at least a bit easier.

Wow. That's incredible. I'm so happy to hear this for you -- hoping it makes your journey at least a bit easier.

Thank you nursing buddie. ❤️

I feel relieved and it's truly happened at the moment I was struggling the most throughout this journey. It's been hell and most of us know this hell only too well

I feel it has saved my life.

It's still helping me. ..unless of course I'm now in a window. All I know is that the day I began using CBD is the day my symptoms subsided and have remained so since for the most part.

It's still helping me. ..unless of course I'm now in a window. All I know is that the day I began using CBD is the day my symptoms subsided and have remained so since for the most part.

Wow!! That's awesome! You deserve some relief.