Propranolol for anxiety and mild akasthisia -how often do you take it, what dose

[Ca...]

Hi buddies,

I'm 23 days off of Klonopin, so I'm still in acute... yesterday I sucessfully tried Propanolol 10mg 2x in the evening and for the night for anxiety and akasthisia and/ or Restless legs syndrome.... it actually immediately improved...

Now I have a Blood pressure of 125/85 and heart rate is 73 bpm... which is good... not too low and not too high... and I'm very exhausted, tired and dull....back to the typical Benzo flu feeling I had all the time during acute...

But what if I get an akasthisia like Panic attack now... is it advisable to take a beta blocker if your blood pressure isn't high but rather perfect? I don't want to get too low blood pressure since that might fuel panic attacks also.... although I was so happy yesterday to have immediate relief from the Propanolol within 30min...

How often do you take Propanolol during an acute wave throughout the day?

I take 20mg in the am and 20mg in the pm. I will be off benzo 1 year on may 10th.........i started taking it abt a week after i jumped when i got  akathisia...........my problem is i don't know if i still have the akathisia........id like to start tapering off now.

I would consult a doctor for sure to find out what is safe.  I havent even started tapering my Ativan and am currently tapering my Ambien.  I take Atenolol 25mg morning & evening.  I also have a calcium blocker that my Doc prescribed called Clonidine.  I was told I could take the Clon as needed to alleviate panic symptoms.  I've only taken it once and it did help.  But i am very skeptical now about any drug after this benzo and z drug nightmare. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi buddies thank you a lot for your replys! :)

Yes, I am also very sceptical when it comes to medication since my psych med hell with all these paradoxical reactions and withdrawals...

But the Propanolol is the only medication right now that I find really helpful! It's a good tool for me right now in Klonopin acute withdrawal with no side effects in me as far as I can tell. I can take up to 50 or probably maybe 60mg per day. My blood pressure allows it. It doesn't even get lower (maybe the withdrawal?!) I took it every day now for 2 weeks. I have a lot of stress around at the moment. I wouldn't wanna miss the Propanolol.  It helps a lot with mild to moderate waves and takes the edge off of bad waves. It helps me with anxiety and weird body Sensations, actually a lot of symptoms... I got almost symptom free on some more mild withdrawal days with the help of Propanolol I would say... only I guess if I take it regularly now (it's been 2 weeks) I'll have to taper off if I can qiut it if benzo withdrawal allows somewhen!  :-\

I started taking propranolol a year ago 60mg per day for akathisia. It immediately took it away. 6 months later I went down to 40mg and didn’t feel any withdrawal. I have recently went down to 30mg and don’t feel any withdrawal. I’m hopeful to continue tapering and go off in the next couple months. I haven’t had any side effects and my blood pressure is normal.

That's really good to hear that you had no withdrawals from Propanolol until now! I hope and have a good feeling about that it will stay that way for you :) until you're completely off! I will also leave myself a lot of time getting off it... maybe I stay on it until I am absolutely done with the Klonopin withdrawal. I had a Valium withdrawal some years ago... it took 12 to probably 15 months until it was entirely gone!

I am happy that Propanolol is no psych med!!!! It's a beta blocker that helps with anxiety and a lot of symptoms... I never worked well with any psych med, not even with benzos (they caused most akasthisia in me especially while I was still on!) The only psych med that helped me was Ritalin I still take a small dosage of... I will have to taper that one also...

Honestly, my issue is I don’t know if I still have any akathisia…..since the propranolol took it way….hope it doesn’t come back once I’m off. That would suck. This is the LAST med or supplement I am on…..I am now anti meds/supplements /anything artificial…..I’m done with alcohol, caffeine, processed foods…..I drink water and eat clean……exercise every day. I do have tinnitus which I hope goes away someday.