HELP: I am afraid

[Jo...]

Severe insomnia 75 days (Microsleep here and there)

I never feel sleepy or drowsy

Can’t nap

Eyes very dry

Is this normal? HELP PLEASE 😭😭😭

Don't panic! I've read A LOT of posts on her regarding insomnia so it's completely normal in withdrawal although I personally haven't really suffered this apart from the very beginning straight after I CT'd

Take care!

Can’t nap

Eyes very dry

I have not had severe insomnia, but what helped mine has been to get up out of a chair, bed, or away from my computer and get outside for some fresh air and a short walk, whatever you are able to do physically, I think can help.  It did for me.  I'm very early stages of my recovery and know that we have things in common yet we all can have different issues.  Some are not able to do things like take a walk, but even doing my dishes, or a little cleaning maybe, can do wonders.

My benzo is clonazepam, just one mg, but I have suffered from "very wrong" decisions, for me, going cold-turkey, or way too steep of tapering in my past history of 35 years on the C.  I'm 70 now and thank god I can still learn, as I have here on this site.  I try to get my nutrition which I like to call my "fuel", and even a little physical activity.  For the last 2 nights I have slept, almost 8 hours lastnight. 

I won't pretend I know how you feel, or your exact situation, but if anything I said might help you, try it on, whatever you can do  :smitten:  Benzos are liars, don't listen to them  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, severe insomnia is not uncommon during withdrawal from a benzo or z-drug. I experienced it for an extended period of time. It was pretty distressing, but I got through it and so will you. Resist any temptation to take a rescue dose because the temporary relief won't be worth the long-term cost.

Unfortunately, severe insomnia is not uncommon during withdrawal from a benzo or z-drug. I experienced it for an extended period of time. It was pretty distressing, but I got through it and so will you. Resist any temptation to take a rescue dose because the temporary relief won't be worth the long-term cost.

I'm hearing a lot of folks say that slow or smaller tapers cut down on the wd sxs.  I'm sure hoping it works for me as larger tapers don't work for me  :o  Too much of a shock to my whole system, especially my brain  :idiot:

@[ J...]

Unfortunately you're still fairly "early" in your WD and the healing/recovery process.  I had my worst insomnia flare up around month 3 after my CT.  Ashton says 6-12 months before insomnia typically starts to fade.  Some take less time, many take longer.  That doesn't mean sleep is non-existent and then it suddenly gets better.  It's a real roller coaster ride for most.  You can get some decent nights, weeks or even months of sleep only to be be tossed back into nights, weeks or months of poor sleep.  Eventually the good nights occur much more frequently than the bad nights.  But poor nights of sleep can still happen even years after you're off.  The good thing is you learn coping skills instead of reaching for more Benzos or other Rx drugs to induce sleep.

I hope sleep comes back for you Jones. I think it is probably the single most important piece to recovery. Most of the success stories do not include long term insomnia as a symptom. Mine has been going on for 17 months now and shows no signs of getting better. I need to find some hope. I want to be able to write a success story and move on with my life.

I'm hearing a lot of folks say that slow or smaller tapers cut down on the wd sxs.  I'm sure hoping it works for me as larger tapers don't work for me  :o  Too much of a shock to my whole system, especially my brain  :idiot:

While that is true (and this isn't meant to scare you), there is no guarantee a slow taper will not result in WD symptoms and insomnia.  Wish I had better news, but I've been on this forum for a long time and have seen too many people get hit just as hard as those that did CTs.  Although, for the record, a CT is not recommended and a slow taper gives you the best chance to reduce symptom intensity and insomnia?

While that is true (and this isn't meant to scare you), there is no guarantee a slow taper will not result in WD symptoms and insomnia.  Wish I had better news, but I've been on this forum for a long time and have seen too many people get hit just as hard as those that did CTs.  Although, for the record, a CT is not recommended and a slow taper gives you the best chance to reduce symptom intensity and insomnia?

No, I completely  understand there are no guarantees but thank you for bringing it up.  It does give me hope though, that it may work for me. I'm glad we have options as we go to change up our plans in case things change, when there is always that possibility ;)  Been the CT road and will avoid that like the plague, so this time I'm trying the "best chance"  :smitten::thumbsup:

I hope sleep comes back for you Jones. I think it is probably the single most important piece to recovery. Most of the success stories do not include long term insomnia as a symptom. Mine has been going on for 17 months now and shows no signs of getting better. I need to find some hope. I want to be able to write a success story and move on with my life.

X-Ray,

I've been following your posts.  Sorry to hear you are still suffering so much.  I'm 2 months into a hard taper/ CT.  I've been having a tough time with insomnia and fatigue and have been desperate to understand what I am in for.  I thought you might find these survey results interesting.  It indicates that 74% of respondents were healed by month 18 and 100% healed after 36 months (98% by month 36).  Maybe you just have to stick it out longer.

Here are the survey results for 'Recovery Time'

http://www.benzosupport.org/recovery_times.htm

Here is the main menu for all the survey results. 

http://www.benzosupport.org/survey_contents.htm

I hope this helps. 

J

• 2 weeks later...

I sleep about 7 hrs on average daily now but no sleepiness at all (never since the injuries). I don't even call it sleep. No refreshing feeling upon waking up..nothing..no gaba..My mental symptoms are worsening while I'm sleeping more. I rather be insomniac than have mental symptoms.

• 4 weeks later...

Can’t nap

Eyes very dry

I hear you, and feel your pain.  Honestly, I'm scared too. 

I consider it a good night if I can add up 3 hours of sleep in a night, and that's very hard to get. 

My best nights are when I take gabapentin, but since I become immediately tolerant to things, I only take it about once a week and look so forward to that night.

I'm afraid it will be like this for the rest of my life.

I often get up and have some decaf in the night, and it helps me relax for a while and maybe even sleep. 

It seems like getting up and moving around helps. 

Sometimes lying still in bed and not moving helps me sleep, but then there the restless leg issue.

Stretching usually helps quite a bit (hamstrings, quads, and calves), but I'm all stretched out now.😅