Nutrition & Exercise Group, Welcome from 70 year old Lady ;)

[or...]

:smitten:I found an older thread from 2019, not a lot of participants but maybe more interest now, and support so I'll start a Group since I am big on Nutrition, Weight-training, and my fave, walking for exercise and enjoyment.

I started walking several years ago but was very inconsistent.  Since then I've improved, but shut'er down since we had so much rain this Winter.  I would say I'm a fair-weather walker :) but I've been known to try the treadmills at my gym.  I've only belonged for just over a year now, but it's the best thing I've done for my physical, mental and emotional health.  I realize now I could be into the very best commitment I've made in my life, getting off benzos at a nice, slow-taper.

I'm not at the gym more than 3 times a week, on a rare week I will drop in 4 times.  What I do believe is that my wd sxs being way less severe are due partially, a maybe even a large portion of my success so far.  I am 70 years old, diagnose with T2 Diabetes 2.3 years ago and hit the ground walking, and changing to LCHF Diet (more known as a ketogenic diet)

I'm also retired, live alone, and I know made my transition into a new lifestyle much easier for me than some that are still working jobs.  When I was working I used to go to a swimming pool after work.  That was in my 50s, but I remember how much healthier I began to feel, lots of energy and still was sleeping good.  I was on the benzo back then though, and had a lot of depression but wouldn't take the 'scripts offered.  The pills seemed to drag me down, so I decided I didn't want anything that gave me more symptoms.  I don't think it was clinical depression, just cirumstances in my life.

Anyway, I encourage folks to keep moving their bodies, as much as possible because it's helped me so much.  Most amazing I  found lowering my carbs, eating good fats and proteins have literally reversed my HbA1c's, as well as a very few daily at-home tests from my little kit, with no meds.  Also lost 30 lbs of my ugly fat,  :laugh: and that was really before I was working out, or walking that much at all.

All part of these awesome Windows I've been getting lately, with my new journey to the end of benzo-use.  Please join in if you feel you might like to talk about these subjects, ask questions.  This is something I have studied for over 2 years and do have some excellent resources including Studie, mostly from Pubmed.

• 2 weeks later...
I love walking. I walk a couple of hours pr day, I usually hear music when I walk. I drink coffee everyday and salt my food, because I want a strong stomic acid to digest my food. I also eat beef liver everyday(I dont mind) Hope you will having a great summer  :)

Hi LS, glad to see someone come 'round!  Maybe we'll get something going as I find my nutrition and exercise most important in my life.  I did a 2 hour yesterday but some was taking photos, although I never stop long.  It was so good today it's back to overcast, maybe some rain so I'll head for the gym.  I'm really grateful I started walking many years ago, and then got started at doing weight-training just over a year ago.  I don't know if I mentioned it, but I do keto, and eat lots of meats, fish, and very, few carbs.  I think it's all had a lot to do with not too bad of wd sxs, and I'm pretty sure it will get me through this.  So nice to meet you and glad you came by, Denise  :thumbsup::yippee:

Hi LS, glad to see someone come 'round!  Maybe we'll get something going as I find my nutrition and exercise most important in my life.  I did a 2 hour yesterday but some was taking photos, although I never stop long.  It was so good today it's back to overcast, maybe some rain so I'll head for the gym.  I'm really grateful I started walking many years ago, and then got started at doing weight-training just over a year ago.  I don't know if I mentioned it, but I do keto, and eat lots of meats, fish, and very, few carbs.  I think it's all had a lot to do with not too bad of wd sxs, and I'm pretty sure it will get me through this.  So nice to meet you and glad you came by, Denise  :thumbsup::yippee:

I think the sooner one get into nutrition the better. Im glad you have such positive effects from all that you are doing for yourself :) im 34 years old, and started to become aware of how my diet affects me at the age of 28. I also feal like having enough money to do the things we want are important. Not that money is everything, but atleast that I dont have to struggle financially releaves stress, or take that pressure of my shoulders. I live in scandanavia. So i can drive an hour and a half to the West Coast and im at my hometown, where they have some of the best fresh fish. So tasty :) Do you eat eggs? I eat 5 everyday.

I think the sooner one get into nutrition the better. Im glad you have such positive effects from all that you are doing for yourself :) im 34 years old, and started to become aware of how my diet affects me at the age of 28. I also feal like having enough money to do the things we want are important. Not that money is everything, but atleast that I dont have to struggle financially releaves stress, or take that pressure of my shoulders. I live in scandanavia. So i can drive an hour and a half to the West Coast and im at my hometown, where they have some of the best fresh fish. So tasty :) Do you eat eggs? I eat 5 everyday.

Hi LS, yes, I eat eggs, 2-4 a day ;)  I always dreamed of traveling the Scandanavian countries but the best I've been able to do is visit them on the internet.  I have enough money that I am comfortable, and retired, but would have liked to had much more years of work.  You are very smart to be thinking about the future for you health, and living situation, travel, and doing the things you don't just have to dream about :) 

Going through this whole benzo thing has made me realize that struggle seems to make me stronger.  Before I started to go for freedom from the C drug I was always depressed, and felt my life just didn't have any purpose.  I couldn't figure it out, why I was here.  Now every day is filled with my goal of becoming healthier, and having that quality of life I couldn't ever seem to accomplish.  It's funny, well, sometimes a bit sad, that it took me so long to realize I was on a dangerous drug, but I keep seeing/reading about how people are doing so well.  Even with their struggles with wd sxs they have hope now.

I live on the West Coast of US, and we have good fish as well which is my fave meal, especially Salmon, but I love Cod, and Halibut as well.  Great to hear from you again, I'll be around :)  Got up too early today but I couldn't fall back to sleep so might as well get started, as long as I don't wake up my neighbors  :laugh::thumbsup::smitten: Denise

I usually get up early, not that my sleep is bad. Its just that I like having some alone time, and nobody is calling or texting me early in the morning. The only drug im using now is coffee, most people dont consider it a drug. But it is. I see the getting healthy as a process, a journey over a longer period where we accumulate the knowledge of healthier/healthy which enables of to take the steps towards it. I still learn stuff about being healthy. I lost 40 pounds of fat which i gained during my withdrawal. In the future im going to do weight training, but now is not the time for me. I understand feeling of sadness about not realising the dangers of the drug we were prescribed. But its also how the system work. They dont tell us about the possible dangers/risk of psych meds, because if they did we might have said no to them. And then what do the doctors have in there toolbox? Nice to meet you too denise. I never been to the US, but ive have been to canada where I have a old uncle, he is turning 90 years old next year. How is your situation with your family? I have great support.

No family to speak of, all scattered to the 4 winds, been divorced 24 years and no children.  It gets lonely, but I'm very independent, always was, too much so I suppose.  My mom and dad are gone of course but they were both born in Canada.  I've traveled there a bit, it's lovely in BC, the only Province I've been to.

My dad and his parents/grandparent were Welsh, and my mom's side some Welsh and some French Canadian from Quebec.  I'd love to see Wales, I think it is (what I've seen on TV or internet) somehow something I'm familiar with even though I've never been there.

I've been on Keto for 2.5 years, don't know if I mentioned that.  I lost weight first 2 months and didn't do any exercise except a walk maybe twice a week.  When I dropped the carbs down low, I lost the fat, not the muscle.  I follow a couple of folks on Twitter and Youtube I've gotten a lot of good info from and feel my wd sxs would be worse if I hadn't been on ketogenic nutrition to start with.  Of course I have to take my age into consideration as there is no Fountain of Youth ;)  Things break down, good ole gravity  :laugh: and well, things just wear out eventually. 

Quality of life is what I shoot for, and if I live longer as well, I guess it's a bonus.  My dad was in his 90 before he passed and had beaten prostate cancer.  I never got to know him unfortunately, he left when I was a pre-schooler.

Anyway, enough babble here, oh, forgot to mention I agree on the coffee as I had some wd sxs when I quit drinking it.  Now it's just tea for me :)  I hope your day is all good, sounds you have a wonderful family/support group LS, what a bonus in life to have that  :smitten:  My life is pretty much what I made it, and I'm making some friends although I am such a loner, but online feels safer for me, although I get lonely and still hope to meet some ole feller that wants to take some walks or hikes with me  ;)  :smitten::thumbsup:

Hey OregonKatz,

My Moms people came from Glamorgan Wales.  I traveled there a few times and loved it except for Cardiff which is very industrial.  There is a "Wild Wales Tour" for driving thru the mountains and it grand!  I hope you can get there some day :)

Re Diet and exercise.  I eat the same breakfast everyday.  A Starbucks egg and cheddar protein box.  It forces me to get out of the house and drive somewhere.  Ill take it to the park along with my dog and then walk some after I eat (I do a little cheat and get a strawberry pink drink) a little sweetness because Im adjusting to low blood sugar from majorly adjusting my diet to cut caffeine, sugar, gluten etc. I drink those Naked Mean Green liquids too.  Ive lost 35 pounds since I started my taper. My sxs are tinnitus which comes and goes, broken sleep (not total insomnia) and a bit of anhedonia.  Im committing to walking more and perhaps getting on the exercise bike but raising my activity level spikes my T.  Im retired too so I can choose my activities.  I take melatonin, probiotics, gabp and Omegas. 

Best,

Alycat

Hey OregonKatz,

My Moms people came from Glamorgan Wales.  I traveled there a few times and loved it except for Cardiff which is very industrial.  There is a "Wild Wales Tour" for driving thru the mountains and it grand!  I hope you can get there some day :)

Re Diet and exercise.  I eat the same breakfast everyday.  A Starbucks egg and cheddar protein box.  It forces me to get out of the house and drive somewhere.  Ill take it to the park along with my dog and then walk some after I eat (I do a little cheat and get a strawberry pink drink) a little sweetness because Im adjusting to low blood sugar from majorly adjusting my diet to cut caffeine, sugar, gluten etc. I drink those Naked Mean Green liquids too.  Ive lost 35 pounds since I started my taper. My sxs are tinnitus which comes and goes, broken sleep (not total insomnia) and a bit of anhedonia.  Im committing to walking more and perhaps getting on the exercise bike but raising my activity level spikes my T.  Im retired too so I can choose my activities.  I take melatonin, probiotics, gabp and Omegas. 

Best,

Alycat

Hi Alycat, nice to meet you as I don't think we have yet!  That tour sounds awesome and I still think it's possible for me to go there one day.  I will look up some family records I was given, hope I still have them. and see what part of Wales my peeps are from ;)

I do eat the same breakfast and sort of snack lunch (yogurt, blueberries and walnuts) every day.  I haven't gotten tired of my meals, or bored with them at all so it's nice and easy to remember my "safe" numbers for BG but once in awhile, I'll still test to see how much they've gone down  :thumbsup:  I dream of getting lower and out of pre-diabetic numbers even ;)

Funny how T can be different for some, but mine is 24/7, so I use a little white noise app on my phone while I'm home alone and at night.  Lately though, I've haven't needed the app some nights which seems amazing to me!  What it would be like without the T anymore, don't know if I could stand it :laugh:  Oh I could, as you we with the T know ;)

You are doing great, and yes, I to have to get things going on that will get me out on a regular basis.  My gym works well, but the best incentive is the grocery stores  :smitten::thumbsup::sick:

Oh yess, Harmless Harvest yogurt with blueberries and Honey Nut Cereal (Fibre and protein) are my go to lunches :).  It's raining today but I still took a walk with my border collie down to the park but it's going to be a lull.

Chillin,

Alycat

Oh yess, Harmless Harvest yogurt with blueberries and Honey Nut Cereal (Fibre and protein) are my go to lunches :).  It's raining today but I still took a walk with my border collie down to the park but it's going to be a lull.

Chillin,

Alycat

I admit I miss sugar sometimes but I won't take any meds for my diabetes so I figure no sugar is best for me.  Fiber is something I probably need a bit more of, will look into that as I don't do much green vegies anymore, just lazy I think ;)

Hi Oregonlady!

When I saw walking and nutrition in your comments it was an immediate magnnet to me. I live in Atlanata ,USA but originally from Argentina. My story started about 5 years ago when I took a strong antibiotic (cipro)and a Benzodiazepine inbeded in other medication. This was just for a digestive disconfor probably IBS. That mix put me in hell two weeks later after taking it. Then I was sent to see a psichiatric because I couldn't sleep. For four months I entered into the medication rabit hole. Not being able to stand most of the drugs throwed at me they finally put me on K and I was able to be more stable. Those were the first 6 months of HELL folllowed by two tapers and two years off of the drug. Regrettably after those two years off I had to reinstate due to a bad reaction to a supplemnt. Now I'm in the final stages of my taper at 0.115 from 0.750 a year ago. Sorry long story!

What have saved me all this years was exercising, walking and cycling mainly and also cold showers that I take every day. The shock of the medication made me be more aware of the importants of nutrition. I adopted a low carb diet and two meals a day with some snaking here and there. I also do belly breathing before sleeping and when anxious.

Well , I have a lot more to share. Just wanted to introduce myself and my medication adventure so far. I think ,like you, that physical activity is the key to overcome the hell we are in. We just need to have imagination and learn and share our experiences!

Be well!

Mice 

Hi Oregonlady!

When I saw walking and nutrition in your comments it was an immediate magnnet to me. I live in Atlanata ,USA but originally from Argentina. My story started about 5 years ago when I took a strong antibiotic (cipro)and a Benzodiazepine inbeded in other medication. This was just for a digestive disconfor probably IBS. That mix put me in hell two weeks later after taking it. Then I was sent to see a psichiatric because I couldn't sleep. For four months I entered into the medication rabit hole. Not being able to stand most of the drugs throwed at me they finally put me on K and I was able to be more stable. Those were the first 6 months of HELL folllowed by two tapers and two years off of the drug. Regrettably after those two years off I had to reinstate due to a bad reaction to a supplemnt. Now I'm in the final stages of my taper at 0.115 from 0.750 a year ago. Sorry long story!

What have saved me all this years was exercising, walking and cycling mainly and also cold showers that I take every day. The shock of the medication made me be more aware of the importants of nutrition. I adopted a low carb diet and two meals a day with some snaking here and there. I also do belly breathing before sleeping and when anxious.

Well , I have a lot more to share. Just wanted to introduce myself and my medication adventure so far. I think ,like you, that physical activity is the key to overcome the hell we are in. We just need to have imagination and learn and share our experiences!

Be well!

Mice

Hi Mice :) Nice to meet you :)  I totally believe that I would be in a lot worse shape if I hadn't gotten into regular exercise.  Funny though, I couldn't lose weight just exercising, I first had to change my diet and then I started losing a pound a week (keto, low carb, high fat and meats/fish etc.)  I was so surprised and that encouraged me to do more walking, and join the gym.  I just figure without that, I'd probably be in pain since I was starting to have just a little arthritis they saw on I think it was an ultra-sound.  No arthritis pain at all now, sleep better, eat better just feel better.  Good enough to take on wd from this dang clonazapam, can't wait for the end of that. 

You're doing great by the way, on your taper  :thumbsup::smitten:  Sounds like you've probably learned a lot with your experience with drugs.  I  know it took me 35 years to figure out I'm popping a prescription I thought was safe because a doctor prescribed it, lol!!  Never again, I'm 70 and I'll be really blessed if I get to have the quality of life I am hoping for when I get through the wd  :thumbsup: Denise PS Heck, my brain might even gain a marble or two  :clap:

I was just listening to Dr. Berry on Youtube about IBS.  I think years ago I was diagnosed with that, I truly can't remember for sure, but it went away for whatever reason.  Guess I got lucky!

Thanks for your prompt answer to my message Oregon!

Yes I learned a lot these years. This is kind a unique situation we go thru. I actually didn't have that much of a time taking this drugs for therapeutic reasons. I 've been mostly tapering all the time. The sad part is that the reason was not even for what this poisons are use for. But well... it  is what it is.

I'm not that much behind you. I'm 64 in excellent shape. it's just my brain after the storm.

This hasn't been all negative. I lost 35 lbs going thru the adventure. It was mainly mainly because my metabolism change due to the diet adjustments I did.

Exercise itself doen't make you loose weight as you know. Everything complements Sleep, diet, exercise and relationships. Of course we can't have all of them at full but we need to be aware of all of them.

You mention tinnitus in one of your coments. That's one of the sttuborn ones in my case. Mine is a pulsatile type. A swooshing sound in my left ear in synch with my heart. It's getting better with the time. I heard is one of the last symptoms to go. So I'm still hopeful.

As far as food I have a plant base diet, moslty raw veggies. I eat a lot of fish mainly sardines. They are excellent sourse of vitmine D (40%) and B12 (350%) this one we really need it for our nervous system. I also eat lots of eggs mainly at breackfast with abocados that I sometimes mix with the sardines. Olive oil is also one of my main adds on to my diet. I'm spanish desent so probably my genes need it . I tried to drink water but only when I feel i have to. A few sips all thru out the day. 

As you, I had some join problems mainly in my knees and hands. Everything was gone when I was really disiplined with the diet. And if they come back is just for a short time.

I follow Dr Sten EKberg at you tube. And yes i've seen some Dr berry's videos. Very good is you follow a carnivore diet!

Ok be well! As you can see I love sharing wellbeing stuff. Is actualy the only thing we we can do to help ourselves!

Mice

Thanks for your prompt answer to my message Oregon!

Yes I learned a lot these years. This is kind a unique situation we go thru. I actually didn't have that much of a time taking this drugs for therapeutic reasons. I 've been mostly tapering all the time. The sad part is that the reason was not even for what this poisons are use for. But well... it  is what it is.

I'm not that much behind you. I'm 64 in excellent shape. it's just my brain after the storm.

This hasn't been all negative. I lost 35 lbs going thru the adventure. It was mainly mainly because my metabolism change due to the diet adjustments I did.

Exercise itself doen't make you loose weight as you know. Everything complements Sleep, diet, exercise and relationships. Of course we can't have all of them at full but we need to be aware of all of them.

You mention tinnitus in one of your coments. That's one of the sttuborn ones in my case. Mine is a pulsatile type. A swooshing sound in my left ear in synch with my heart. It's getting better with the time. I heard is one of the last symptoms to go. So I'm still hopeful.

As far as food I have a plant base diet, moslty raw veggies. I eat a lot of fish mainly sardines. They are excellent sourse of vitmine D (40%) and B12 (350%) this one we really need it for our nervous system. I also eat lots of eggs mainly at breackfast with abocados that I sometimes mix with the sardines. Olive oil is also one of my main adds on to my diet. I'm spanish desent so probably my genes need it . I tried to drink water but only when I feel i have to. A few sips all thru out the day. 

As you, I had some join problems mainly in my knees and hands. Everything was gone when I was really disiplined with the diet. And if they come back is just for a short time.

I follow Dr Sten EKberg at you tube. And yes i've seen some Dr berry's videos. Very good is you follow a carnivore diet!

Ok be well! As you can see I love sharing wellbeing stuff. Is actualy the only thing we we can do to help ourselves!

Mice

I took a late nap and just now saw your message Mice, and I need to reheat some Salmon I cooked up lastnight and eat.  But I'll try and get back to you although I don't know if you are 3 or 4 hours ahead of me, it's now 5:10 here now  :) Denise  PS I love that you are into the health/nutrition thing and I am always so excited about others that are into it as well!!  I really want to remember sardines and anchovies, Dr. Berry turned me onto those as well!!  Talk to you late ;)