update on my recovery

[He...]

Hello,

I haven't been on in a while since my sleep improved but I wanted to check in and bring hope to those still struggling.

It's been 1.5 years since I stopped xanax. I did a 6 month liquid taper and quit October of 2021. For 6 months I never slept for more than half an hour. I went many nights with zero sleep. I was very scared but I knew my brain was healing and I trusted that it would get better. I would have these random nights where I would get 5 to 8 hours then back to zero. Only in the last 2 or 3 months have I gotten 5+ hours sleep nearly every night. Some nights are 8 and some are even more like 9 to 10. I NEVER thought my brain would be able to do that again but it does. If you are tapering or have already quit your benzos, your brain is undoubtedly healing.  It is a longer process for some than others.

Another thing I wanted to mention was that I used to have severe cortisol rushes when I did wake up after whatever sleep I was able to get. These rushes caused severe anxiety. I still get it a little bit but its significantly improved over the last few months. Anxiety is a huge bummer and, of curse, taking xanax is what caused m y problems.

Hang in there if you have insomnia and/or cortisol rushes. They will subside in time.

Best of Luck

HM

• Like 1

Thanks for the update heartmost. It’s good to hear that you are doing better. Are you able to nap in the afternoons if you are really tired from lack of sleep the night before?

• 3 weeks later...
Good to hear HM.  Congrats.  I remember back in the "bad old days" when you thought you'd never sleep on your own again.  Time is the healer, but sometimes father time (tick tock) has his own plans and sleep takes much much longer to return than we would like or expect it to.