Planning ahead on Ativan to Valium Sub

[Ph...]

Currently tapering Ambien for the next few months.  I would like to get ahead and plan my Ativan to Valium Substitution.  I checked the Manual and found the 3mg Ativan to Valium plan but i am too dumb to do the math, as my current dose is only 1mg/day.  0.5mg morning and 0.5mg at night.

Could anyone help me with this?  I still have a few months but know my recovery doc doesnt have a clue so i am trying to get ahead of this as early as i can.

Does this plan look ok?  Too aggressive???

Week 1: 0.5A Morning / 0.25A & 2.5mgV Evening

Week 2: 0.25A & 2.5mgV Morning / 0.25A & 2.5mgV Evening

Week 3: 0.25A & 2.5mgV Morning / 5mgV Evening

Week 4: 5mgV Morning / 5mgV Evening

No, not too aggressive, I was going to suggest two weeks because it looks like the schedule for 3 mgs is about 5. 

I’d listen to your body on this one, you may be able to accomplish it in less time but do what works for you. 

Thanks Pamster.  I understand the V has a more sedating effect.  After i get transitioned is it ok to switch to just a night time dose schedule as well?  I really appreciate your feedback  :)

I think most will take Valium twice a day but you can certainly do what you’re most comfortable with.  One caution, if you want to move to one dose, do it in stages to allow your body time to acclimate.

For sure.  After the sub is complete, i'd just slowly add some to night time and decrease the morning.  Try and taper somewhere in there.  Hope that the Valium will be a good sub for sleep once i have tapered the Ambien.

Def worried about valium morning doses and the effects on my job...

I’m told by members who have made the cross to Valium that once you acclimate, you don’t notice the sedation.  That will be good for your job, but not sure about sleep.  :-\

You may notice a bit of depression with the Valium as well, but it should dissipate.

For sure.  After the sub is complete, i'd just slowly add some to night time and decrease the morning.  Try and taper somewhere in there.  Hope that the Valium will be a good sub for sleep once i have tapered the Ambien.

Def worried about valium morning doses and the effects on my job...

I have never tried Ambien before, but in my experience, the Valium is much better for sleep than Ativan alone. 5mg really puts me out at bedtime. As for the daytime sleepiness, 2.5mg V is definitely sedating and made me feel a little loopy, but I was able to get a bit of work done when I tried it. I suppose it depends on what type of job you have.

You may want to try substituting more in at night first, so your body can get used to the sedation before adding it in to your mornings. That's what I'm trying now, at least. Good luck!

Ok.  Ya, i think it is really going to be trial and error with all of this.  Solid chance i will lose my job over this but i do have option to file for long term disability possibly.  I load and test software on unmanned aircraft.  So it requires alot of critical thinking and troubleshooting, etc.  My biggest fear is the akathisia that set in when i cut to fast from the Ativan before i knew what i was doing.  I would definitely liked to get switched to Valium soon, but i think the focus for now is to get off the Z drug first  I am really hoping to do this a little faster while leaning on the other benzo dependency.  But we will see.

Oh gosh, akathisia is one of the worst things on earth. I have had it from antipsychotics in the past. So sorry you had to go through that!

Hopefully you can take your time and keep your job or get on disability for a bit. Since you have been taking these for 4 months I think you have a good chance of healing well if you’re able to switch to the Valium soon. Just pace yourself and I’m sure you’ll get there!