Teva is Back with Clonazapam

[ap...]

Thank you apaulo13, but I wonder if you might have misread the April 15, 2023 post from the above referenced thread?  Here it is:

It’s April 2023, and the original TEVA clonazepam is the only anxiety medication that’s worked for me without additional side effects. I was so glad that they brought back the original formula, because the changeover was a nightmare of side effects and not very effective. However, with the refills I got this year things are feeling a little bit off again. It doesn’t seem to be as effective in controlling my anxiety. I am wondering if they have changed the formula again??

Unless I’m misreading it, the poster is referring to Teva ‘bringing back’ its original formulation of clonazepam (which actually happened several years ago).  I just double-checked the ASHP drug shortages database (which was updated yesterday, April 21) and it is still reporting Teva clonazepam shortages:

Drug Shortage Detail: Clonazepam Oral Tablets

https://www.ashp.org/drug-shortages/current-shortages/drug-shortage-detail.aspx?id=934

(As an aside, I wonder if the reason the clonazepam does not seem to be as effective as it once was is because the poster has developed tolerance to the drug — not because Teva changed the formulation again.)

Thank you apaulo13, but I wonder if you might have mis-read the April 15, 2023 post from the above referenced thread? Here it is:

It’s April 2023, and the original TEVA clonazepam is the only anxiety medication that’s worked for me without additional side effects. I was so glad that they brought back the original formula, because the changeover was a nightmare of side effects and not very effective. However, with the refills I got this year things are feeling a little bit off again. It doesn’t seem to be as effective in controlling my anxiety. I am wondering if they have changed the formula again??

Unless I’m misreading it, the poster is referring to Teva ‘bringing back’ its original formulation of clonazepam (which actually happened several years ago).  I just double-checked the ASHP drug shortages database (which was updated yesterday, April 21) and it is still reporting Teva clonazepam shortages:

Drug Shortage Detail: Clonazepam Oral Tablets

https://www.ashp.org/drug-shortages/current-shortages/drug-shortage-detail.aspx?id=934

(As an aside, I also wonder if the reason the clonazepam does not seem to be as effective as it once was is because the poster has developed tolerance to the drug — not because Teva changed the formulation again.)

Yes- Libertas, I believe you are completely correct!!

Six Months ago or so I told my Doctor is Teva anywhere to be found as constantly changing these generics monthly was very uncomfortable- She is hard to keep on board or was and a couple days later said I can drive to the smaller name pharmacy as he has Teva there so I checked it and it was.

BUT I TOO felt it wasn't the same and researched and thought it was being mad in different Country,

After following your links and clarifications, I just thought of something- They were probably expired or for sure actually and effecacy was less. Same as the other persons comment im guessing.

The other link you shared sounds like Teva isnt doing anything right now because the H2 Brand Klonopin is out.

For the past few months ive been prescribed them and I havent had brand in 25 years or so and I thought it seemed different- But that would just be my tolerence :-)

Thanks for pointing that out!

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, [[l...] said:

I have noticed it is not working for me very well either. Have they changed something again?

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, @[lc...].  We’re glad you’re here.  I am not aware of any changes to the Teva clonazepam formulation (my guess is Teva learned its lesson several years ago when it received considerable backlash for a formulation change).   How long have you been taking clonazepam?  Is it possible you  have developed tolerance to it?  In case you’re not familiar with this concept, here’s an overview:

Tolerance - Benzodiazepine Information Coalition
https://www.benzoinfo.com/tolerance/

• 1 month later...

I have been getting the TEVA Blister Pack 0.5 mg yellow tablets and they're not working worth a shit. This coming up month I'm going to try and go to a different pharmacy because the one I'm using ran out of the orange 0.5 mg ones and now only have the yellow TEVA brand. They don't do a damned thing for me. 

Hello @[ry...] Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

Although it is possible that one brand is not working so well because the the actual stated dose is lower the actual dose from another brand (or, it has lower bioavailability), it also could be that you have become tolerant to your presence dose. 'Tolerance' refers to your body adjusting to the medication, so you require more for a similar effect. But there are several problems with increasing your dose. You are very likely to become tolerant of the new dose, and again you will need to increase your dose regain the effect... and on it goes. Further, the higher those, the more likely that you will suffer from more side effects.

Further down the line, when on a higher dose, if you should then decide to quit, it likely will be tougher. Perhaps, much tougher.

For how long have been taking clonazepam?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Teva clons as of 9/2023 in USA have been hard to find. CVS said they won't be ordering them anymore. They have the solco brand which is not as strong. Than there's this Indian brand 1 mg blue with a ^ on the pill. They are ok but weaker than Teva. So now I got to call around to see who has the Teva brand 2 mg or 1 mg since I can't transfer a controlled and will need a new script. At this point brand name seems the best route if the insurance will pay. Honestly I'm finding the company Teva suspicious. They say their allocating supplies with no reason. If the pills are stockpiled

like it sounds than they are old. I'd love to test a pill at a lab to see what is really in it with levels of active and non active ingredients.   

Hello @[Ti...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

I would not worry too much about which brand you use. Yes, the true dose or bioavailability might vary some between brands, but it should not vary a whole lot. You should adjust to a different brand quite quickly. And, at some point you might ask yourself, is it worth the hassle of trying to track down your favoured brand?

• 1 month later...

After 20 years of being on this med I know what works and what doesn't. The inactive ingredients are different for all these generics and some people like me are sensitive to some of them. The bio availability of the API can vary about 30% either way. These companies take the cheap route especially these days due to greed.

I'm waiting for the Teva brand again. I could go with Solco but it's weaker and more fogginess. I could write an essay but the best advice I can give is don't get on them and if you are stock up. These shortages will get so bad that people will need a few hundred at least to detox. Get all the meds now that you might need. Times will only get worse. Thanks for the input.

9 hours ago, [[T...] said:

After 20 years of being on this med I know what works and what doesn't. The inactive ingredients are different for all these generics and some people like me are sensitive to some of them. The bio availability of the API can vary about 30% either way. These companies take the cheap route especially these days due to greed.

I'm waiting for the Teva brand again. I could go with Solco but it's weaker and more fogginess. I could write an essay but the best advice I can give is don't get on them and if you are stock up. These shortages will get so bad that people will need a few hundred at least to detox. Get all the meds now that you might need. Times will only get worse. Thanks for the input.

Hopefully you'll be able to get off this stuff soon and won't have to worry about availability.

No matter what brand you're getting, at the end of the day it's all bad stuff.

There is a HUGE difference in the new Teva and the old that they discontinued. I switched to Brand Roche for a while and found that too strong and short acting. I finally made my switch to the new Teva back in 2021. Had to updose as they were not the same. I could not tough it out, as I was caring for my Mom. I had to function. Nothing like the old. They are lying. I have called them and written to them numerous times. It is all about greed.

This year has been a nightmare as the batches change from month to month. It is not tolerance withdrawal at all. I have tried to taper the .5mg and it is about impossible. This last batch has been causing withdrawal symptoms and also, I have had horrible nausea of which I never had. I believe they have put more filler which is garbage in them. I have lost weight and I am still eating the same, although I have no appetite. My husband has seen the changes, also. 

I tested my theory and took my Roche Klonopin and sure enough, the awful nausea went away and my gut was fine. I calmed down. I guess I will have to pay for H2 Pharma, as I can’t handle this.

Years ago, I could taper without these horrible symptoms on the old Teva. Had been on that since 2010 until 2019. 

I could keep rambling on about this, as I am furious. 

• 1 month later...

I’m having trouble with TEVA now too. Every since the shortage.  I’m having severe heart palpitations.

On 22/04/2023 at 16:18, [[a...] said:

Apolloq13, Hi there, just saw this! I've been seeing posts about teva brand. Many are complaining about the generic. You can search in benzos withdrawl topic for Dana,  sge and others know alot more than I do. Just wanted to pass by and let ya know

Take care now 

Ns

2 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Apolloq13, Hi there, just saw this! I've been seeing posts about teva brand. Many are complaining about the generic. You can search in benzos withdrawl topic for Dana,  sge and others know alot more than I do. Just wanted to pass by and let ya know

Take care now 

Ns

Appolo13, I see that mNy were complaining in the article. Sorry I should have read it before I messaged you

By now

Edited by [ns...]
Additions and corrections

@[Ti...] said>>>

The bio availability of the API can vary about 30% either way. These companies take the cheap route especially these days due to greed.

Wow, this is horrible. Seems like the API should be tightly regulated by the FDA......not just for benzos but all Rx meds.