HELP. What is my risk if I CT??

[AT...]

Hello all I am currently down from 2.5mg Xanax and 4mg Valium daily down to 1mg Xanax and 4mg Valium daily. I have cut that 1.5 mg in about 5 months. I am miserable. Horrible brain fog. DP/DR at times, numbness, nausea, sensitive to light and sound. Here’s the thing. I take my doses 4x daily. Every 6 hours I take .25 Xanax and 1mg Valium. Half the time I take them it helps. Half the time it makes me worse!!  Im so ready to be done with them. From this dose what would be my risk if I CT?  Would seizure still be a risk from this dose?  Or how quickly can I safely come off??  I need to be off these as soon as possible im just so so miserable and ready to be off and be able to focus on healing. Thank you!!

Tinnitus. You really don't want that I experienced it for 20 whole seconds it was one of the most maddening experiences I ever had now I live in fear of it returning

Tinnitus. You really don't want that I experienced it for 20 whole seconds it was one of the most maddening experiences I ever had now I live in fear of it returning

This x 100. You have no idea how bad Tinnitus and hyperacusis can get from benzos. Taper properly

Taper slowly and properly with a benzo-wise doctor. Nobody can advise you how slow to go since everyone's pace is different. If only they told us these things before we agreed to take these medications.

Seizures and death are always risks of stopping benzos CT so yes, it can happen at any dose.

Another risk is the tremendous mental and physical pain and suffering you didn't ever imagine was possible that will make your problems now look like quality problems. Dozens of biblical symptoms at once without windows for months and potentially years is another risk. Being bedbound or homebound for months, losing your friends, family, financial stability, not being able to work....etc. etc. etc.

Sadly, there are no guarantees. Some people suffer from a slower taper. But it is "less risky" so to speak. Not to be the bearer of bad news but take it from someone who knows. I would take interdose withdrawal back any day versus what I have been experiencing for 7+ months now after being "medically detoxed" too quickly. That being said, if you know the risks and accept them it is your life to do as you wish with it.

If you need more support tapering, Dr. Jennifer Leigh or Angela Peacock are coaches that can help you build your coping mechanisms.

Seizures are rare unless you’re prone to them, the best way to avoid is to taper.  I’m sure you’re aware you’ll have challenging post withdrawal symptoms and average recovery after stopping the drug is between 1 and 2 years, yes?

In looking at your timeline I feel you’ve been tapering too quickly, I’m not surprised you’re suffering this much, would you consider slowing down rather than quitting cold turkey?

Pamster knows. She fully recovered after a CT and has seen countless stories of pain and recovery on this site for years.

Thank you all so much for the replies!!  I definitely would be happy to consider slowing down. It’s just pure torture what I’m going through and I guess in my mind I thought well if it’s this bad anyway why not just CT and get it over with.  If I am going to slow down should I stay at the dose I’m on now or updose any first?  I was more stable at 1.0625 mg Xanax. It was the drop to 1 when it all just hit. Should I just hold out and stabilize at 1?  Or go back to 1.0625 for a while? 

How long has it been? If it has been over a week or two there is a risk it might not help the situation and you could just be stuck on a higher dose with these symptoms.

It’s been about 5 days now. I really don’t want to go up if it isn’t necessary. I mean usually when I’ve cut up until now days 2-4 would be rough and by day 5 I’d start to stabilize and by say 7 cut again. But now I’m here at day 5 going into day 6 and no where near stabilized. If I keep at the 1mg should it start getting a bit less intense soon??

Nobody can say for sure. That is the problem. If you are in the window to go back up, you could try that. Cutting weekly like that is very fast.

I know  :'( I kind of wish I’d gone slower up until here. I was just so desperate to get down as low as possible as quickly as possible. But if everyone thinks going much slower from here will help then that’s what I’ll do. I just don’t want to do it the wrong way but also don’t want to be on them forever. My mild anxiety I had when I started them pales in comparison to what hell the withdrawal is. I wish I’d never touched a benzo

I’m grateful you’re rethinking this, but I sure understand your desperation, I’m sorry you’re in so much pain.  I believe slowing down will ease your symptoms, its still going to be rough but hopefully not this rough. 

I know going up in dose isn’t what we want but there are times when its absolutely necessary to keep our sanity, there is no shame in doing this.