Insomnia since February

[Jo...]

It’s been 3 months since I last slept properly. I’m still tapering. I’m exhausted, emotional & at times can barely function. I don’t know what to do.

Hi Love, I read your post. I'm so sorry you're struggling with insomnia. I'm going to share some things that have helped me. Some of these things you may have already tried - so if so, please disregard. Also, before I share, I just want to remind you how far you've come. I can only imagine, it has not been easy. I hear you... you're so exhausted and your spirit is tired. Things will improve.... Here are my best sleep tips while tapering; note - some of these will take time to impliment. They don't take effect overnight, but over time... you with consistency, I believe you will see improvement.

-Waking up with the sun - while eyes are closed or open, egaze into the sun (yes, I know, sounds counterintuitive. Our entire lives we are told the sun is 'bad'. It's not. Google 'sun gazing'). There's something about the chemicals released in the brain when we get early morning sun that penetrates into the pineal gland - that supports our cercadian rythm.

-Light exercize if you can. For me this is walking, but I sleep best when I walk and lift weights lightly. I know that's not an option for everyone. So if you can get 20 minutes of brisk walking outside, earlier in the day - again, the sun early in the day helps with sleep.

-Melatonin (I'm sure you've tried this - just in case, supposidly the LOWER doses actually support better sleep. I reccomend 5 mg. one hour before bed)

Best tips I received while in treatment:

-Have a 100 calorie snack before bed that includes carbs and protien. Releases chemicals for sleep.

-Hot shower half hour to one hour before bed - as the body cools down, again, hormones are released that tell the body to be tired.

-Light reading or medititaion before bed/I listen to a guy on YouTube; Joe Tracey. He's my favorite. But I also listen to the meditation podcast by Mary Maddox.

When I do ALL of these things consistently - even when tapering, I can usually sleep. Some nights I get 5 hours - some longer. Some less. I often feel like doing these things is like a full time job, but I also know that our body heals best, when we get rest. I hope this helps. Thinking of you... hang in there.

It’s been 3 months since I last slept properly. I’m still tapering. I’m exhausted, emotional & at times can barely function. I don’t know what to do.

Unfortunately insomnia is one of the main symptoms after going CT or doing a proper taper.  After you are done with your taper, healing and recovery will begin, although some heal somewhat during their taper, but it's not common.  I'd read this post:  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=235100.0