Can Kindling cause Sporadic Fatal Insomnia?

[...]

I've just read the following and I'm freaking out.

"Fatal familial insomnia, a human prion disease, Morvan's chorea, an autoimmune limbic encephalopathy, and delirium tremens, the well-known alcohol (or benzodiazepine [bDZ]) withdrawal syndrome, share a clinical phenotype largely consisting in an inability to sleep associated with motor and autonomic activation. Agrypnia excitata is the term which aptly defines this clinical condition, whose pathogenetic mechanism consists in an intralimbic disconnection releasing the hypothalamus and brainstem reticular formation from corticolimbic inhibitory control. Severance of cortical-subcortical limbic structures is due to visceral thalamus degeneration in fatal familial insomnia, and may depend on autoantibodies blocking voltage-gated potassium channels within the limbic system in Morvan's chorea, and the sudden changes in gabaergic synapses down-regulated by chronic alcohol abuse within the limbic system in delirium tremens. On the basis of these findings, we suggest that a neuronal network, extending from the medulla to the limbic cortex, controls the sleep-wake cycle, operating in an integrated fashion following a caudorostral organization."

Fatal Insomnia is caused by damage of the neurons in the thalamus. Could the excitoxicity from kindling cause damage to the thalamus (which controls sleep regulation) and thus activate a toxin induced fatal insomnia?

I have been on and off this site for many years and it is very common for people to worry that they somehow became one of the very rare people to contract fatal insomnia. Benzo and Z-drug induced insomnia is pretty intense, but not fatal and people eventually get over it. I am still very much alive. Anxiety is also a withdrawal symptom.

I agree.  I thought I had fatal insomnia, so did countless others.  Your Benzo ravaged brain goes to the worst case, "what if," scenario...always.  You'd have a better chance of winning the lottery or getting attacked by a shark (on land) than getting sporadic fatal insomnia.  Please stay away from "Dr. Google" when going through WD.

• 2 weeks later...

I think being more on Dr Google would have saved all of us form this mess...

I think I'm one in many billions of how this happened to me so I'd rather had won the lottery or being struck by lightning.